Flash Experience and Advice

Michael Hiles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I am planning on using flash for some portrait efforts. I want to use off-camera flash, using a cordless trigger system.

This will all be a historic event, because I will use my M2 and a Vivitar 283. All the information I can find focuses on hot shoe applications.

I wonder if anyone has experience and advice on which triggers stand out (looking at Photix Ares II or Yongnuo RF603). There seems to be a consensus that this need not be a big money effort.

Any helpful comments? 

Many thanks.

I use the Photix Ares kit ( the first version) for off camera flash with my M-P 240 and have alway gotten great performance and results with this setup.  Based on my experience with the original Ares kit, I would not hesitate to purchase and use the Ares II.

The Photix Ares II gets a solid score of 90% in the following short review:  https://insider.kelbyone.com/review-phottix-ares-ii-flash-trigger/

I have just changed all my flash gear from separate flashes and triggers (Nikon SB28's and Pocketwizards) to integrated flash/wireless devices (Godox). Not only does this cut the number of devices and simplify set-up, but I no longer have to lower a light stand to change the flash power: it's all done from the controller in the hot shoe.

This is of no help if you 'must' use the Vivitar, but if you're not wedded to it, then I suggest you look at the latest integrated systems instead of dumb triggers.

I use the Photix Ares kit ( the first version) for off camera flash with my M-P 240 and have alway gotten great performance and results with this setup.  Based on my experience with the original Ares kit, I would not hesitate to purchase and use the Ares II.

The Photix Ares II gets a solid score of 90% in the following short review:  https://insider.kelbyone.com/review-phottix-ares-ii-flash-trigger/

Another vote for Phottix Ares, which is hot-shoe trigger only (not TTL), with an M Typ240.