Leica M3: Rangefinder moves when moving the eye?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi fellows!

Is this normal? When I look through the finder of my M3 and move my eye slightly away from the center-axis of the finder, the small rangefinder-image moves, too. An example: The rf-patch and the image line up, but when I move the eye away from the center-axis, they don't line up anymore by a small fraction. Could anybody please check this on his or her M3? Thanks a ton!

Peter

Tried with M3 and M2 as well but could not find anything you describe - perhaps I didn‘t understand it right.

The movement of the rangefinder patches position when you change the focus of your lens is a device all M cameras have. it copes with the problem that the view to the motive with the rangefinder differs from the lenses position: some centimetres to the left and some centimeters higher. This is the parallax, which the movement of the patch compensates.

But of course only when you turn the focus ring of your lens, not just by eye-movement.

So I think you mean something else than this movement - but I cannot find it.

P.S.: Tried again without glasses, which I normally wear. Now I can imagine what you mean: The patch doesn‘t move but it appears to be at a different position if you look at it from a different position. I‘d call this natural and can‘t imagine it being else. You don‘t need a rangefinder for this: just look at an object and move your head: the object seems to change it‘s position. For the rangefinder is just a „narrow hole“, a small movement of your eye is enough to cause the effect. With your eyes being a little further away, the effect is almost gone (glasses). The rangefinder of the M10 has a longer eye relief and diminishes the „problem“ compared to the M3 or M2.

Edited by UliWer

Are you sure? It's quite extreme when moving the eye. And here it says that this shouldn't happen on the M3: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Leica/page10.html

(just above the headline "Variations of M3 DS rangefinder).

It actually says the M3 rangefinder doesn't do it 'to any great extent'. In my understanding of the English language that means it does do it but not as much as some other cameras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Edited by 250swb

Did a bit of research in the meantime: It appears that this is normal but can be minimized by adjusting the internal rangefinder telescope lens (never heard of that). And there are obviously two or more types of eyepieces for the M3: At least one has a smaller diameter which prevents this phenomenon. It "keeps" your eye on the center-axis.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You must always use a rangefinder system with your eye in the optical axis, otherwise the precision will suffer - you'll find the fact mentioned in or M FAQ at the top of  various M forums.

A magnifier is partly effective because it forces the eye into the right position.

Hi Jaap!

Sorry, but I can't find the FAQ. Can you post a link?

Thanks a lot!

Peter

Never mind - found it. However: What still bothers me is that this phenomenon is non-existant on my other Leica, the MP. Just on the M3. Strange ...

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update: I've sent the camera to Leica for a check. Contrary to what Jaap said, the moving image in the RF patch is NOT normal and SHOULD NOT happen - whether your eye is on the middle axis or not! 

The problem was that the rangefinder was miscalibrated. They re-calibrated it for free and now everything works perfect again!

Peter