dead M8 !?

jackal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I had hoped I could skip this thread, but today, after firing the shutter, the camera wouldn't turn off! Removing battery, changing batteries, etc., has resulted in the following:

1. Camera now turns off, but doesn't really turn back on

1. Initially shutter will fire, but then camera locks up--one release only

2. No playback, no menus

3. Mostly nothing except a red light when shutter is depressed, without shutter release.

4. R. Fisk, at Leica USA has suggested leaving battery out overnight, recharging it, then reinserting, to "reboot" the camera. He didn't comment about whether this would now require me to carry a spare body [at nearly 5K?] or share any thoughts about general reliability/confidence. It wouldn't even be a concern if the files didn't look great. M6's for backup, for now.

Camera is early-- 31003xx. No problems other than a "venetian blind" one time on replay of a DNG + JPG [never repeated] and this.

Sounds exactly like what others have noted.

We'll see--

N.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Norm--

We're all hoping this will clear up for you as well.

Remember, one of Guy Mancuso's supposedly dead cameras fixed itself on the way back to Solms.

Let us know if the no-battery reset works.

And I also like Wilson's recommendation of reloading the firmware. (I bet card sellers will be wondering why they suddenly get a run on 16 MB cards as his idea catches on! :) )

--HC

I too am having intermittent problems with the M8.

1. The camera goes dead. remove the battery, replace and works. used different batteries

same problem.

2. If I skip through pics fast during playback, the red light continues on with the last

pic displayed. All other functions are locked. off-on does not work in this case. remove

battery, replace the playback continues. remove battery..leave overnight, replace battery

seems ok.

3. I am trying to get to grips with rf amd the M8. This does not instill confidence.

4. I have had my share of problems with dslrs. I am prepared to pay for quality, but

this is a bit disconcerting.

5. Malfunction statistics are one thing, but when it happens to you it becomes very personal!

Regards.

I too am having intermittent problems with the M8.

1. The camera goes dead. remove the battery, replace and works. used different batteries

same problem.

2. If I skip through pics fast during playback, the red light continues on with the last

pic displayed. All other functions are locked. off-on does not work in this case. remove

battery, replace the playback continues. remove battery..leave overnight, replace battery

seems ok.

3. I am trying to get to grips with rf amd the M8. This does not instill confidence.

4. I have had my share of problems with dslrs. I am prepared to pay for quality, but

this is a bit disconcerting.

5. Malfunction statistics are one thing, but when it happens to you it becomes very personal!

Regards.

Fahim,

You may be suffering dirty battery contacts. To clean use switch contact cleaning fluid squirted onto the battery contacts then insert and remove four or five times. I don't know the brand name of this fluid where you are. In the UK it is called Servisol Super 10 Amazon.co.uk: Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner: Electronics & Photo . I would reload your firmware with a newly charged battery installed, after cleaning contacts. You may well find everything smoothes out after that. I always keep my spare batteries in the polythene sock they came in, to keep dust out of the contact slots. I have also numbered mine with a gold marker pen, so that I use them in sequence.

Wilson

Fahim,

You may be suffering dirty battery contacts. To clean use switch contact cleaning fluid squirted onto the battery contacts then insert and remove four or five times. I don't know the brand name of this fluid where you are. In the UK it is called Servisol Super 10 Amazon.co.uk: Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner: Electronics & Photo . I would reload your firmware with a newly charged battery installed, after cleaning contacts. You may well find everything smoothes out after that. I always keep my spare batteries in the polythene sock they came in, to keep dust out of the contact slots. I have also numbered mine with a gold marker pen, so that I use them in sequence.

Wilson

Wilson,

Thanks for your advice. Shall try your suggestion.

Regards.

Leica reserves ranges of serial numbers for a specific product. For the M8, the first batch was roughly 3100000-3102500. Not all those reached the customers before the recall, so some were fixed and sold later, while at the same time, the second batch hit the market, some earlier than the fixed first batchers. I am not sure what the second batch was. Perhaps around 3105000? The serial numbers in between were presumably reserved for some other product, such as perhaps the Digilux-3 or even Leica M7/MP, who knows. There have been at least a couple of batches since then, some leaving the 310 initial digits.

My chrome unit is 3102787, bought in April, so I reckon the first batch went up to at least 3102800 - unless a new batch started at 3102501.

Were black and chrome units numbered together in the same series, or were they separated into discrete number series as tended to happen with earlier Ms?

My chrome unit is 3102787, bought in April, so I reckon the first batch went up to at least 3102800 - unless a new batch started at 3102501.

Were black and chrome units numbered together in the same series, or were they separated into discrete number series as tended to happen with earlier Ms?

Mine is chrome, SN # 310304X, second batch?, bought Dec 28th 2006

Ed Albesi

Guest guy_mancuso

Norman I'm worried about yours and Fahmin i think you have a battery issue. i would replace that battery.

Norman yours sounds like SDS and that bothers me , try what Robert said but be prepared for the worst. PLEASE keep me posted on this.

Guy--

Thanks for the suggestion, but it does indeed appear that I've fallen victim to whatever [what is the electronic version of "microorganism"?] seems to afflict some of the early cameras. I wonder whether there is a factor related to number of exposures.

I have talked to Robert, who will be expecting my camera in a couple of days, and will decide the next step. He was pleasant, anxious to be helpful and reassuring, and even chuckled at my comment that I would have to simply live with HP5 for the time being. It sounds like they will consider replacing the body if the fault is electornic.

Wilson--Sounds like a great idea [keeping the latest firmware with you to boot up], but unfortunately, as you may gather from the foregoing, I may not get a chance for a while. I'll keep it in mind.

So it goes....

Regards,

Norm

• 5 months later...

Well, I'm sad to say that i've joined the ranks of those whose M8 LCD has mysteriously gone blank. I was shooting away on a family trip, when it simply died. Since then, I can power up, and fire the shutter, and the lcd does display the image momentarily. but none of the buttons around the lcd works at all, and i cannot review images, change menu settings, etc. I have 2 batteries, both fully charged, and changing them does nothing.

And for the record, my serial number starts with 3111...so i suppose that makes it a supposedly new version. fat lot of good it did.

Does anyone have any further info on whether and under what circumstances Leica will replace such a body? I'm about to send the corpse to New Jersey.

And now, back to my M6...(and where did i put that film?)

John

At minimum you need to take the battery out for 48 hours to cause an internal reset. If still dead at least you did all you could before a long trip to the repair bench. This has worked for most users who experienced this. (including me on one of my M8's. It has worked flawlessly ever since).

Best wishes

Dan

John--

Welcome to the forum! Sorry it's bad luck that brings you here.

I don't know how Leica decides to replace instead of repairing. From what I've read on forum, the sticky wheels get the grease.

Strictly my opinion, but to me it seems that the loudest complainers more often see their cameras replaced. Mine went off to NJ with such a long and peculiar series of weird behaviors (but none as serious as you describe) that I thought they'd have no choice but to replace it. Nope; it's being repaired in Allendale.

--HC

I note that there is reference made to M8 /SN and the date of manufacture. I was advised that Lecia M8/ SN have no correlation to date of manufacture. Is this valid? My M8 was purchased in 10-07 with SN 3106xxx, I assumed it was manufactured in 2007. How can I verify?

Thanks,

Jet

I note that there is reference made to M8 /SN and the date of manufacture. I was advised that Lecia M8/ SN have no correlation to date of manufacture. Is this valid? My M8 was purchased in 10-07 with SN 3106xxx, I assumed it was manufactured in 2007. How can I verify?

Thanks,

Jet

To date there is no way to verify the actual manufacture date. Since the first batch that were made and recalled numbered around 2500 with serial numbers somewhere from 3100100 to 3102600 it fairly safe to say your camera was made sometime in 2007. But that is still just a guesstimate.