New SL firmware coming 4-23-18

bsmith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A new firmware update for the Leica SL, Version 3.2, will also be released April 23rd to address improvements specifically requested by Leica SL photographers:

• The joystick can now be deactivated from the menu to prevent inadvertent changes to settings while the camera is in use

We'll see.  Locking the focus point after it has gone off to some far corner is no more effective than the same strategy applied to barn doors and ponies.  What's needed is an eye level control that lets you optionally recenter, then lock, the focus point.  or just lock it once you have got it where you want it for a few shots. "from the menu" may not achieve this.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

new firmware update for the Leica SL, Version 3.2, will also be released April 23rdto address improvements specifically requested by Leica SL photographers:

• The joystick can now be deactivated from the menu to prevent inadvertent changes to settings while the camera is in use
  • Eco Mode can be set to reduce the power consumption of the camera
  • The standard white balance value for daylight has been changed from 6600 K to 6500 K
  • Various improvements have been made for entering text and numbers (e.g. at WiFi password)
  • Compatibility with the Leica SF 60 System Flash and the SF C1 wireless flash controller
  • Other bug fixes new firmware update for the Leica SL, Version 3.2, will also be released April 23rdto address improvements specifically requested by Leica SL photographers:
    • Eco Mode can be set to reduce the power consumption of the camera
    • The standard white balance value for daylight has been changed from 6600 K to 6500 K
    • Various improvements have been made for entering text and numbers (e.g. at WiFi password)
    • Compatibility with the Leica SF 60 System Flash and the SF C1 wireless flash controller
    • Other bug fixes
  • Like 1

Funnily enough, I have never had the joystick move focus points or change settings inadvertently. I also watched a Youtube reviewer complain that this is theoretically possible from his analysis of the design - but it has never happened to him. 

So, that "bug fix" does not warrant a change for me; however I am sure that now I have publicly stated its not a problem, I am sure that from now on, it will be a problem for me. :)

My focus point wanders occasionally on the SL and CL, but locking it is not the answer IMO - I would like a means of quickly recentering it.

A lock means I will forget to unlock it just when I want to refocus and take a shot in a hurry.

+1

Well, many us use our SL's professionally, so being able to lock the AF point (like ALL all Nikon and Canon professional cameras) is extremely important to us. Casual amateur usage is a different world. 

I am an amateur, and have always preferred to lock the AF focus point dead on center. Using a center-locked focus point to focus on the desired subject, recompose if needed, and shoot is much quicker than rearranging a focus point to an off-center location.

Andy