Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 — Major Problems

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also doing fine with LR 7.4 on Mac OS 10.12.x and 10.13.x.  The minimal presets I use are now sorting properly.  Andy, as I recall and fwiw, there was a problem in one of the earlier LR7.x releases that caused an error when copying and pasting settings between B&W images.  Within the copy settings window, unchecking Treatments & Profiles in the upper left hand corner was the work around.  However, I think that error/bug has been fixed in the later releases (7.3.1 and 7.4).

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

Thanks. The last two posts sound encouraging. I just updated v7.2 to v7.4 and tried the most typical processing that I do, and had no problems. Also, the VSCO presets now are listed in their correct (original) name and order.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Edited by Nowhereman

• 3 weeks later...

Sick, sick, sick of Lightroom 

Just cannot import from my recent trip to Scotland.

Even into a new catalog, on my main System hard drive

I'm going to have to get this sorted and reimport over 55,000 shots from the last 10 years into a new catalog somehow.

This software has turned into a monumental pain in the arse of Elon Musk and submarine proportions.

Andy, I’ve not had any issues - doesn’t help I know.

Alienskin have been building cataloging and processing into their product for a while. If I wasn’t happy with Lightroom I’d be tempted to switch.

Free 30 day trial here...

https://www.alienskin.com/exposure/

I think you just point it at the relevant folders. Although I’m a long term user I’ve only ever used the (optional) film simulations.

I’m going to buy a new, probably 6TB, hard drive.

Copy every single DNG and NEFF I can find on the other three external HDs I have. Then add all the tiffs I can find.

Then clear every single stupid LR catalog I can find and build a new one.

If that doesn’t work, Adobe can go to hell.

I set up a new catalog when I brought all the book shots together.

That was my downfall. LR has never worked properly since.

Old video, but still words of wisdom....with 20/20 hindsight....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xQBqH7kdi04

Many folks unfortunately ignore use of folders, collections, etc. And often further confuse image files vs catalogs.

I highly recommend Julieanne Kost videos (or books by Kelby, Schewe or Evening), especially for those starting with LR. It’s always harder and more time consuming to fix or simplify after the fact.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos

Good luck.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

Good video — and strong, convinvingargument for most people to use one catalogue. I'll have to look into archiving the image files onto another disk on a coherent and consistent basis, so that it becomes easy to bring back archived image files easily without getting lost in trying to dined them.

My problem is that all my files processed before I started using Lightroom are in Aperture, and I should look into how to export them to Lightroom Right now, I just do that for individual images whenever I need to bring them in Lightroom.

You can open and see the contents of the Aperture Library file in the Finder by Control-clicking the file and choosing Show Package Contents. Copy the files to a normal folder using Finder and get Lightroom to import that folder.

On another forum I have seen suggestions for a couple of pro-tem fixes to try on Macs:

1) Turn off GPU processing in LR Preferences/Performance

2) Turn off auto graphics switching in System Preferences/Energy Saver - This particularly applies to Macs pre-2016 where one or other of the graphics processors, the on board Intel or the separate Radeon can start to fail.  The Mac is then forced to use the Radeon GPU rather than the Intel graphics on the main board. 

3) If the Radeon GPU is problematic, you can use an app called gfxstatus (http://gfx.io/) to disable the Radeon GPU and just run the Intel graphics. I had to do this on my daughter's rMBP from 2012, as its Radeon GPU became unstable. You set gfxstatus to launch on startup with the Radeon GPU disabled. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Andy, it looks like you're using Apple, so this comment isn't relevant to you, but to Windows users.

The only relevance to your case is that I was getting similar error messages those that you have had.

A few months ago there was a Windows 10 upgrade that changed all the Windows Defender settings, introducing (for the first time? I don't know) controlled access to the filing/folder system. Suddenly a whole load of my apps and programs could not save files anywhere (the only one exempt by default seemed to be the Download folder). Most, but not all, Microsoft apps were OK, but Adobe wasn't. You had to explicitly tell Defender that such and such an executable was allowed to access the filing system.

It became such a pain, that I have now switched off access control in Windows Defender - I feel I should not have to do that - it should have asked me if I wanted to allow my commonly used existing programs to access the filing system - but I had no choice.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Don't think that this is a Adobe issue. Looks more like a deteriorating drive (source and/or destination drive). Is it possible to copy the source files to another external drive and import from there, or create a destination (for both catalog and folders/photos) on an external drive? That way you can figure out which drive might be causing this. Just hope that you have backups because deteriorating can cause drive / software corruptions on all levels. Especially with an unforeseen power-outage.

(been there, done that, and got the t-shirt)

• Like 1

Andy, if you Google LR with that error message, you will get lots of similar complaints with a variety of possible causes, sone of which are easy to verify and fix (checking read/write permissions, seeing if ‘make a second copy’ is a problem, etc.). Other more complicated causes exist and, as noted, some are not Adobe related.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Already with Lightroom 6.x there was issues with LR not importing all images (and no warning either; it just skipped some). From then I started copying my SD-card onto a destination folder where I wanted the pictures, then drag-and-drop that one into LR (import without copying). That solved that issue. 

It gives more control. You should think a simple procedure as copying images to a hard drive could be trusted to the software to do, but perhaps too many things are going on. In any case, it was an issue in 6.x something, and then it was gone. But that could be one way to ensure that at least the files are secure and on the hard drive.  

Edited by Overgaard
  • Like 3