Stringed Instruments

JohnnySeven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let me contribute one of my basses, it is 1963 Fender Jazz Bass, early version with the felt mutes under the bridge cover. I bought it 1967 as a young student, everything in its original state pots, capacitors, solders, wiring etc., only the strings got changed once a while, I still play it.

M10-D, Summicron 2/50

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

• 2 years later...

1959 Gibson Cherry Red Les Paul Junior with matching Amp and Strap

M10R, 35mm APO Summicron, f2

• Like 5

On 8/31/2018 at 10:41 AM, roverover said:

Original Example, 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst...

OK; you win.

:lol:

And DK for his astonishing cello and bow. Beautiful instruments everyone, in fact! I can't believe I've not seen this thread before.

Here's my #1 (and by a long way). Sounds much better than she looks;

Philip.

• Like 6

Here is an interesting thing. I bought it in a junk shop (and I do mean Junk and not 'Antiques') for £10 back in 1980 mainly because I liked the thing and also it looked like the machine-heads were nicely made so I thought it might be worth 'a tenner'. No bridge was fitted but how hard could it be to source a bridge?

Long story made as short as poss? Impossible. But it IS a story!

An early 1940's Antoine di Mauro 'Modele Special Chorus'. Unique and specifically characteristic diamond f'board inlays - thin slices of fragile celluloid - were removed for the rehabilitation but have been retained for installation sometime in the future.

FWIW here is her sister/brother atop the graveside casket of one Jean-Baptiste Reinhardt - better known to the world as 'Django' - as his Earthly remains are about to be interred;

Philip.

• Like 4

On 4/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, AndreasG said:

Let me contribute one of my basses, it is 1963 Fender Jazz Bass, early version with the felt mutes under the bridge cover. I bought it 1967 as a young student, everything in its original state pots, capacitors, solders, wiring etc., only the strings got changed once a while, I still play it.

M10-D, Summicron 2/50

Love the 'Clay Dot' fret markers Andreas! Had them on my '64 Strat. Interestingly they wear in the same way as does the 'board on a six-string but that's not something which - I'm guessing - is often apparent on a bass neck?...

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Mom plays my '67 SG. I don't know where the finished product is but this is an outtake from my old days. I can see my photo sync is off. Shot blown out. This photo was never worked. But- it's my mom holding my Gibson '67 SG. I got it used but looked new. Photo probably taken with IIIF w/50 summitar. Copy shot with iPhone. I probably asked her to play 'Flight of the Bumblebee' - this is still my #1 guitar. She helped my buy this guitar with my paper route money. $150.00 total. Sorry about the quality of the image but it's a moment (for me)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's another - My PRS Archtop (fat body). I love unfinished PRS Guitars. I have been swapping pickups in this guitar for quite some time. Currently an old gold foil and alnico 5. I like this pickup combination because it honks.

Edited by OR120
sp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, OR120 said:

Mom plays my '67 SG. I don't know where the finished product is but this is an outtake from my old days. I can see my photo sync is off. Shot blown out. This photo was never worked. But- it's my mom holding my Gibson '67 SG. I got it used but looked new. Photo probably taken with IIIF w/50 summitar. Copy shot with iPhone. I probably asked her to play 'Flight of the Bumblebee' - this is still my #1 guitar. She helped my buy this guitar with my paper route money. $150.00 total. Sorry about the quality of the image but it's a moment (for me)

Wow! Absolutely no need for explanations nor apologies for the IQ of photograph; it's wonderful! As you say; "it's my mom holding my Gibson '67 SG"!!! Sort-of like the spiritual twin of Sister Rosetta Tharpe and you can't ask for much better than that. Utterly priceless photo for you, I'm sure, and thanks so much for posting it here.

The guitar is fantastic, too! Love the Vibrola and I know that the T-Top pickups which she wears are amongst the most favoured by the Vintage Gibson crowd.

Paul Reed Smith himself has an interesting history with Ted McCarty; Gibson's CEO from the late '40s to the mid '60s and who oversaw the introduction of such guitars as the Les Paul; Flying V; Explorer; ES-335 (etc.); SG; Firebird and many more. When Paul was setting up PRS he sought out Mr. McCarty and, Paul being a persuasive individual, managed to convince Ted to give him all the benefit of his experience - which Ted was happy to give - and their association was both productive and very harmonious.

Lovely guitars and thans again for posting!

Philip.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:39 PM, pippy said:

OK; you win.

:lol:

That was what I was thinking. 😆 I know it's a Leica forum but I wasn't quite expecting to see an actual Burst in the thread. That '59 Junior looks amazing too (I actually assumed, looking at the condition, that it was a recent CS reissue).

• Like 2

On 4/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, RayD28 said:

Felt lazy about getting the light perfect but posting anyway.  

1937 000-18.  

This is the other thread winner, I think. A '37 000-18 is about as good as it gets IMO.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wattsy said:

This is the other thread winner, I think. A '37 000-18 is about as good as it gets IMO.

Thanks, Ian.  Not sure about thread winner because there are some fantastic instruments here, but I appreciate the comment.  

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 7:55 PM, wattsy said:

Thanks for pointing out that, Ian, because originally I seemed to have missed-out pretty much the whole of the first page somehow! The OM is also simply stunning, Ray!

Congrats on the instruments, Ray; they are superb. I really do need to learn much more about Martin. I had never been much of an acoustic player until around 10 years or so ago and even then couldn't warrant anything special. But things have sort-of changed slightly....

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pippy said:

Thanks for pointing out that, Ian, because originally I seemed to have missed-out pretty much the whole of the first page somehow! The OM is also simply stunning, Ray!

Congrats on the instruments, Ray; they are superb. I really do need to learn much more about Martin. I had never been much of an acoustic player until around 10 years or so ago and even then couldn't warrant anything special. But things have sort-of changed slightly....

Philip.

Thanks Philip. I started with a D-28 (hence my site name) but found the dreadnaught body is too big and too loud. I tried other Martin models and the 000/OM body is perfect for me. The OM is my player and the 1937 gets some attention every few months.  For new Martins you should expect to pay about 60% of  msrp to USA retailers. That was pre-Covid-19.  There are shortages now so one should expect to pay a bit more.  

I’m self taught and my playing is poor, but unlike cameras and photography, I strongly believe a good guitar makes a mediocre player sound better.

I’m not a Martin fanboy and there are a lot of great acoustic manufacturers out there, especially Collings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of the 13 guitars I've owned (I only have #10 and #13, having traded/sold along the way) 3 have been 12-string, 12 have been acoustic, and three have been Martins.  There are many exceptional guitars out there, but Martins are still my favorite, and only one of the two guitars I still have.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stuny said:

Of the 13 guitars I've owned (I only have #10 and #13, having traded/sold along the way) 3 have been 12-string, 12 have been acoustic, and three have been Martins.  There are many exceptional guitars out there, but Martins are still my favorite, and only one of the two guitars I still have.

The HD-28?  

1959 Gibson ES-345 TD, clean and original.

Leica SL-2, 24-90 SL, iso 100, f-11

• Like 5

Am 15.10.2021 um 00:15 schrieb pippy:

Love the 'Clay Dot' fret markers Andreas! Had them on my '64 Strat. Interestingly they wear in the same way as does the 'board on a six-string but that's not something which - I'm guessing - is often apparent on a bass neck?...

Philip, yes, they show some wear, but not mechanic wear by string bending or so, which is less common for a bass player, However, they turned over the years from almost white into a yellowish color like ivory, though the instrument spent most of its life in the darkness of a hardcase. I guess that Leo Fender took the cheapest plastic available for the clay dots. The fingerboard (Brazil Rosewood with all its difficulties of cross border travelling or sales) is still in very good condition.The color of the body also changed over the time, it is unclear whether originally it was Olympic White, Vintage White or, my best guess, Blond(e). I play this Oldie occasionally, its sound is fair, but nothing special. Old does not mean automatically excellence in sound.

Presently I prefer these two PBs, left a 1987 made by Fujigen, right a 2008, made by Dyna, both in Japan. The right one is top in handling, a perfect combination of string position, sound and overall haptic - like touching a Leica M! Once a week I play together with friends, music from the 60/70s, right now we are forced to make a break, because our drum queen broke her elbow past week while visiting Paris.

Andreas

• Like 3