Dusty environment and the Q

I am planning a trip to SW USA and want to go to Antelope Canyon. To those who have been there how dusty is it ? Will I need to encapsulate the Q to prevent permanent damage? Any advice is appreciated.

I was in that area in 2012 with my old Leica Digilux 2 and can say it was very dusty.

Luckily I had pre-planned for the dust, and carried the camera in zip lock bags between usage.

All I can say is carry spare zip lock bags.....for if the first one gets over contaminated or breaks.

• Like 2

Egyptian desert in 2016. Very dusty and it did reach the Q sensor. On my return, my dealer had the sensor cleaned without returning it to Germany. The sealing of early releases of the Q wasn’t as good as later production .

However, my advice would be to avoid switching to macro and back if possible. I suspect that the lens barrel draws in the dust but I can’t explain why. . Additionally I now have a wide elastic band (0.5cm) that covers the join between the lens and the rotating macro ring. Everything else works as normal.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 2

Egyptian desert in 2016. Very dusty and it did reach the Q sensor. On my return, my dealer had the sensor cleaned without returning it to Germany. The sealing of early releases of the Q wasn’t as good as later production .

However, my advice would be to avoid switching to macro and back if possible. I suspect that the lens barrel draws in the dust but I can’t explain why. . Additionally I now have a wide elastic band (0.5cm) that covers the join between the lens and the rotating macro ring. Everything else works as normal.

Enjoy your trip.

Really helpful: thanks! I've also taped the holes of the mic and the speaker. wondering if using the joystick isn't also a particularly vulnerable spot.

• Like 1

Really helpful: thanks! I've also taped the holes of the mic and the speaker. wondering if using the joystick isn't also a particularly vulnerable spot.

I’m not the cleanest operator. Often, I see dust on the camera body, and the lens barrel. The Q black body paint seems to attract more fine dust to its surface than my black M9 or Silver M10. There has to be gaps somewhere.

Use the bag when not shooting. Use the blower on the lens body and the lens. Use a clear filter. . Don’t allow dust to settle on the barrel. Don’t operate the focus unless the barrel is clear of dust.

I’m not sure that the rear 4 way switch is a vulnerable point, but there is a gap between the body and button.

• Like 1

I was an early adopter of my Q (2.5 years old now) and did experience dust on the sensor. 

Leica AUS fixed it for free and from what I understand fixed the dust seal issue.

No problems since and have been in the red dusty outback of Australia since.

I have taped over the mic and speaker holes (Never use video) just to be sure to be sure.......

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Enjoy your trip.

Thank you. That is very good advice. I appreciate it.

If for some reason you cannot get to Antelope Canyon there are quite a number of other beautiful slot canyons in the area, as well as startlingly beautiful open areas.  If you look at the 2nd through 5th page of this photo gallery on our site (http://www.barbara-and-stu.com/plogger/index.php?level=album&id=261) you'll see what I mean.

BTW:  I had not dust penetration issues in any of those locations.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Enjoy your trip.

Hi @lucerne, regarding your last post, does it mean later Leica Q production has better weather sealing and dust resistance? Did you get this info form Leica?

Cheers!