Has anyone proposed having a "Stolen Leica" forum

pebbles

Don't worry, Andy. I don't think anyone is trying to resurrect the proposal.
I simply think that Ouroboros is trying to be a little bit provocative.

I think he may not realise that he is trying to gnaw his own tail off

In my previous posts I was addressing the OP, not you. The Forum Admins have made their stand clear on the OP's original request. Most here would probably applaud the OP's idea but can also understand the Admin's position, yet you have taken advantage of the thread to plug your own interests.

Please do not try to interact with me again.

• Like 1

Andy Barton has suggested I put details of the camera and lens on the Collectors section of the forum so I shall do that. i am offering a reward for the recovery of the camera, lens, and virtually new leather case. Many thanks for all your comments. A successful result will the best indication that such a section on the forum is merited.

• Like 2

When Pebbles asked me if it was OK if he posted about his stolen Leica, here, I said yes.

Given that it's 22 years since it's been gone, it may have changed hands many times since then, so the chances of finding the culprit must be incredibly small.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When Pebbles asked me if it was OK if he posted about his stolen Leica, here, I said yes.

Given that it's 22 years since it's been gone, it may have changed hands many times since then, so the chances of finding the culprit must be incredibly small.

Andy you are quite right but my biggest concern is that the person currently possessing it does not own it. The police have said they will get it if I find it.

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a stolen Leica. Didn’t know it was stolen, sent it off to Leica to get serviced and they informed me that it was to be returned to the owner through the police department. 

I bought the camera off craigslist. It was a fair market value and the seller seemed to know about it. It was well used and needed a service(shutter issue). I bought it and sent it in for CLa. 

Glad the original owner is getting their camera back. I’m out a huge chunk of change and fear I may have legal trouble in store for me. I’ve already reached out to the police department to give them the information on the persons I purchased it off. They have yet to get back to me. 

Moral of the story, I’m not going to be purchasing off local classifieds anymore. Only eBay and camera dealers. 

• Like 1

I was told by a dealer that Leica had stopped their register after exactly the scenario that Andy postulated. One owner had a dispute with an another owner over a private sale. That person then posted the sold camera as stolen to the Leica register. After that, lawyers letters started to fly backwards and forwards. Leica quite understandably, gave the whole thing up, as being too fraught. I did post my stolen Digilux 1 on their register back in 2002 but I was quite afraid I might get it back, given I was far from impressed with it. 

Breitling does operate a stolen watch register on which I posted my B50 Cockpit after it was stolen during the burglary I had in June. You have to supply Breitling with a copy of the police report, showing the watch as a listed stolen item and the watch/serial number had to be already registered with Breitling in your name, presumably all to avoid the scenario above. 

Wilson

• 6 months later...
On 9/3/2019 at 2:19 PM, wlaidlaw said:

I was told by a dealer that Leica had stopped their register after exactly the scenario that Andy postulated. One owner had a dispute with an another owner over a private sale. That person then posted the sold camera as stolen to the Leica register. After that, lawyers letters started to fly backwards and forwards. Leica quite understandably, gave the whole thing up, as being too fraught. I did post my stolen Digilux 1 on their register back in 2002 but I was quite afraid I might get it back, given I was far from impressed with it. 

Breitling does operate a stolen watch register on which I posted my B50 Cockpit after it was stolen during the burglary I had in June. You have to supply Breitling with a copy of the police report, showing the watch as a listed stolen item and the watch/serial number had to be already registered with Breitling in your name, presumably all to avoid the scenario above. 

Wilson

That was exactly the information about the Leica I gave to the police, together with a photo showing it in my collection. and clearly identified. Christies said they visitedthe polie site  before each auction. Christies let me down, and they didn't even apologise. The police did everything they could.

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2018 at 11:29 AM, pebbles said:

I had a Leica stolen from my car in 1996 and gave the serial number to the police who put it on their stolen property list. In those days Christies had regular Photographic auctions so I told them the number. They said they always checked the police list before allowing a camera to be auctioned. A couple of years later my camera was sold by Christies who refused to give me the name of the purchaser under the Data Protection Act. The camera is still out there somewhere.When we were burgled in 2011 five Leicas were stolen in an armed robbery.The police gave up trying to find the stolen property as the burglars were "forensically aware"  After I had recovered from my injury I contacted Leica who kindly circulated the serial numbers to all their dealers. Then a dealer contacted me to say he had been offered my M6. The result  - the police recovered the cameras and caught the burglars who received long prison sentences. i feel if dealers could use our website they could quickly check whether a camera is stolen.

That's amazing. I too had a Summilux 35mm 1.4 stolen (HA 01 7289 Crime ref0 and the perpetrator was caught but said her mates stole it so they let her go! I registered this lens on that particular Leica register at the time. Anyone know if it is still active as I am re-opening the case to take out a private prosecution of the CPS and perpetrator KLE.

I have no confidence in auction house's honesty. My parents got ripped off by an auction house where they were told that two 17th century Dutch paintings were valueless. A director of the house bought them for £20 for the pair before the sale. My sister happened to be at a dinner party in Edinburgh, where the director was boasting about how he had bought some valuable 17th century Dutch paintings for next to no money, having told the sellers they were valueless but had then resold them in London for a couple of thousands of pounds. After a solicitor's letter, the auction house eventually paid my parents an ex-gratia payment of one thousand pounds. 

Wilson