Testing the Panorama function:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hidden in the scene modes, the panorama function is not too bad.

Drawbacks- the burst rate is fixed, so it takes some practice to juggle the angle of view and rotation speed to get a decent-sized panorama. The best I managed was 8.200 pixels wide. The system also cuts off quit a bit at the extremes, far more than shown on the LCD.

Advantages: good quality jpg, even exposure and ease of use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And plenty of detail - 100% crop:

• Like 18

Actually I do use it occasionally on cameras that have it; it saves a lot of work in the computer.

Most of my cameras have functions that I never use, like Auto-ISO.

Still, I make a point of knowing it’s there ;).

• Like 2

Another attempt :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

When I went skiing last time, I found it too much effort switching modes and then being faced with less successful rate compared to the iPhone, which actually produces decent panorama quality. After seeing it somewhere on a feature list, I had to dive into the user manual to find the option, though.

JPG and doing is as a scene mode makes sense.  I can't imagine trying to stitch the Bayer image.  Does it fix exposure on the first shot?  I find I usually have to adjust exposure between shots to get a smooth, uniform sky tone, and even then the result is not constant when the sun is out.

JPG and doing is as a scene mode makes sense.  I can't imagine trying to stitch the Bayer image.  Does it fix exposure on the first shot?  I find I usually have to adjust exposure between shots to get a smooth, uniform sky tone, and even then the result is not constant when the sun is out.

I have used Lightroom's panorama function successfully to stitch raw images to create a new DNG. A straightforward process, though the original files clog up your catalogue unless you delete them afterwards. I use manual exposure and don't usually adjust it mid-sequence.

OTOH, what do you do with a big panorama shot? Viewing on screen doesn't show their full glory, and although printing is possible, framing is expensive and not many people have enough wall space.

The best use I have had for this is for taking virtual wide-angle images when I've only had a mid or long focal length lens with me. I shoot in portrait orientation and crop to landscape.

Maybe I'm making it harder that it needs to be, but I leave the camera in AutoISO, portrait mode with some longer lens, and take lots of shots.  After I have done any sky corrections, I often find that corrected exposure varies, especially if I scan an angle like 180 degrees.

I view them in Preview, Actual size, full screen on a 23" monitor.  And once in a rare while, I get them printed, 1-2m wide.