new Q user

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I finally pulled the trigger and got the brand new Q, purchased at Leica SOHO in NYC.

I've been learning the settings and playing around with it over the weekend so here are some initial thoughts (pretty much in line with that I have been reading here and in reviews before I bought it):

Pros:

1. Wonderful IQ/files quality - lens and sensor combo clearly as good as showcased here and by other reviewers, with wonderful colors and sharpnes (I'm coming from Canon 5Dmk2 and L lenses, and also Leica d-lux 109 - my initial observation is that Q is on another level as far as IQ goes)

2. Love the 28 lens (even though the go on my Canons has always been the fixed 35L (great lense as well), I prefer the 28 in this camera because plan to use a lot for landscapes, as well as street)

2. Fantastic high ISO

3. Nice portable size and very high quality hardware (noticable difference to Leica's own d-lux for example, which is also very nice for what it is)

Cons (in the order of annoyance, but none are close to deal breaker)

1. EVF eyecup should be larger, even though EVF is pretty good

2. Should be able to lock the diopter

3. Grip - I have large hands and it's not comfortable - I have ordered Leica handgrip and thumbs up so hopefully that will fix that problem

4. Custom functions - I wish this was better implemented. I don't like the placement of the 2 buttons (wish one was on top of camera on left side above EVF, and the other one is in good location but the button should be more 'pronounced' - easier to feel by touch without looking for it.

5. Should be able to turn off video completely, and re-assign the video button as another custom button

6. Auto ISO implementation - not sure if I'm understanding how this should work, but so far does not seem intuitive that the camera insists on not lowering the shutter below 1/60 and instead keeps increasing the ISO

7. No weather sealing

By the way, before I purchased when I was chatting with sales guys at SOHO (very helpful people and cool shop to visit, althouth your wallet will disagree), they were willing to speculate that new Q will not come before new M because it will probably share the same sensor, and also they think the new lens is more likely to be 35 or 40. And also, weather sealing and tilt LCD would be high probability. All sounds great to me except I would prefer they keep the 28 lens ...

• Like 3

I recently broke down and bought both the Leica grips and a Thumbs Up. They have made camera handling much better. The only problem with the grip is that you have to remove it in order to remove both the SD card and the battery, sort of like changing film with M cameras.

• Like 1

The Leica Q is perfectly satisfactory the way it is, everything performs the way it should, I don't require a Q 35 or 50 ,it's already in the camera (cropped) with even the frames showing perfectly, printable up to A3, if larger pints are required from the cropped 35mm or 50mm , some competent upsampling software is available,although my guess is ,very few people print anymore . I use the camera they way it came (I dont use it as a dress up dolly )

Some find the strap that comes with the camera too stiff, I found that at first, however if one crinkles the strap firmly over the total length, the strap becomes nice and supple and is (for me) just the right lenght. The hood works fine for me and I do use the lenscap when not using the Q, never falls of.

On bags: I carry the camera in a small Billingham bag , that holds the Q , SF26 flash (that I never use, 1.7 lens ) extra battery, extra memory cards and some cleaning stuff. when I am Xcountry skiing , I use my smart phone, 28 mm lens , like the Q and surprisingly good resuls, as I don't relish wiping out on top of my Q,(could hurt me ) other than skiing I always have the Q with me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Peter L
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently broke down and bought both the Leica grips and a Thumbs Up. They have made camera handling much better. The only problem with the grip is that you have to remove it in order to remove both the SD card and the battery, sort of like changing film with M cameras.

I have orderd both Thumbs Up and the Leica Handgrip and really looking forward to see how much that will help. Getting a similar handgrip like this dramatically improved the handling of d-lux 109, so I'm expecting good results with the Q as well.

And Thumbs Up looks like a no brainer as well (expensive one for sure, but I guess this is what you expect with anything Leica related).

Removing the handgrip does not bother me at all - I'm used to it with my d-lux and takes no time to take it off (also I don't like the look of those expensive leather half cases with cuttout at the bottom to provide opening for battery door - if anything, the battery door feels chepaer (more plastic) then the rest of the camera anyway, so I think having that sealed by the handgrip when using the camera is actually a positive.

The designers of the Q already explained why they chose a 28mm lens over a 35 or 50 and it was down to size. The other options would mean a much larger lens, which then negates the idea of a 'compact' camera.

I have read that explanation as well, and am happy they came to that conclusion (for selfish reason that I wanted the 28). Having said that, I have read many reviews/opinions/requests which make it clear that 35 or 50 would be in possibly higher demand, so it's likely Leica has to at least seriously consider this in the future (and who says just because the first time around they could not get the lens sizes small enough that they will not come up with the way in the future - small super high quality lenses are clearly their bread and butter and differentiating factor more so then anything else they have, so we should not dismiss this possibility).

The Leica Q is perfectly satisfactory the way it is, everything performs the way it should, I don't require a Q 35 or 50 ,it's already in the camera (cropped) with even the frames showing perfectly, printable up to A3, if larger pints are required from the cropped 35mm or 50mm , some competent upsampling software is available,although my guess is ,very few people print anymore . I use the camera they way it came (I dont use it as a dress up dolly )

Some find the strap that comes with the camera too stiff, I found that at first, however if one crinkles the strap firmly over the total length, the strap becomes nice and supple and is (for me) just the right lenght. The hood works fine for me and I do use the lenscap when not using the Q, never falls of.

On bags: I carry the camera in a small Billingham bag , that holds the Q , SF26 flash (that I never use, 1.7 lens ) extra battery, extra memory cards and some cleaning stuff. when I am Xcountry skiing , I use my smart phone, 28 mm lens , like the Q and surprisingly good resuls, as I don't relish wiping out on top of my Q,(could hurt me ) other than skiing I always have the Q with me.

attachicon.gifL1020306.jpg

Thanks. I'm also fine with the original hood and strap (not sure about trusting that the lenscap will not fall off). Also, I have ordered a small Billingham bag from B&H (not delivered yet but I think it should work nicely):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388289-REG/billingham_bl500102_01_72_camera_bag_black.html

I have read that explanation as well, and am happy they came to that conclusion (for selfish reason that I wanted the 28). Having said that, I have read many reviews/opinions/requests which make it clear that 35 or 50 would be in possibly higher demand, so it's likely Leica has to at least seriously consider this in the future (and who says just because the first time around they could not get the lens sizes small enough that they will not come up with the way in the future - small super high quality lenses are clearly their bread and butter and differentiating factor more so then anything else they have, so we should not dismiss this possibility).

Have you seen the SL lenses?

Too big at least in my opinion (and SL looks like SLR which rules it out for me). However, Leica are also famous for making those small but incredible M lenses so maybe they can come up with some magic and make some future version of Q with lenses closer in size to those? Sounds highly unlikely right now, but I think every lens manufacturer must be looking at lens sizes as #1 issue right now when the mirrorless bodies are taking over (where lenses are way to big/heavy on those bodies).

I'm personally delighted with the 28, and would find a 50 mm Q boring and predictable; or at least, I'd take boring and predictable pictures. But the arguments voiced against it are not only that Leica has suggested that the 28 makes for the best sized camera; but also, practically speaking a 50 mm Q (cropping to 90 mm) would cut significantly into M sales. Of course, that's exactly what 50mm Q fantasizers want, but Leica rarely fulfills fantasies. 

Edited by bags27

attachicon.gifL1020306.jpg

Will that Billingham small bag hold the Q with hood in place, and if so, is there room for anything else?

To maintain compactness, a Q50 would possibly be fitted with a Summarit lens. Nothing wrong with that and probably better than up-scaling the Summilux. I am happy with the current camera, possibly with further firmware fine-tuning.

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

My point is that the SL lenses are AF and full frame. Just like the Q. They're that size for a reason, not just because Leica thought "let's make huge lenses". So the same lens on the Q would be pretty much the same size. M lenses are M lenses. If you want a small M lens buy an M (or an SL).

The only way Leica can make a more compact AF FF lens is to make it a slower lens like f2.8 say, but that will appeal to fewer people and it's still going to be much larger than an M lens as it has to include the AF electronics etc.

• Like 2

My point is that the SL lenses are AF and full frame. Just like the Q. They're that size for a reason, not just because Leica thought "let's make huge lenses". So the same lens on the Q would be pretty much the same size. M lenses are M lenses. If you want a small M lens buy an M (or an SL).

The only way Leica can make a more compact AF FF lens is to make it a slower lens like f2.8 say, but that will appeal to fewer people and it's still going to be much larger than an M lens as it has to include the AF electronics etc.

I agree with everything you are saying - this is certanily the case in terms of what seems possible right now. But until recently who could have imagined medium format sensor in X1D size body? Maybe it's not theoretically possible (physics) to ever bring the lens sizes down without compromises in IQ  but are we really sure it's will never be possible to have for example M size lenses with AF and same IQ as current M lenses? I would think Leica (and everyone else) must be spending a lot of time researching this particular area (especially given how good the phones are getting it seems like if these photo companies want to survive long term the huge and heavy lenses will somehow have to shrink, while at the same time getting AF and other modern features).

I don't think I said anything about image quality, that's not an factor of lens size as such.

There is a module you can buy to make an M lens AF on a Sony body so no, it's not impossible, but it is a compromise, and adds some size/weight. But the thread was about the idea that Leica are going to bring out a new Q model with a 35 or 50mm lens, and they said they chose a 28mm lens as the other options were too big.

Never say never I guess.

To maintain compactness, a Q50 would possibly be fitted with a Summarit lens. Nothing wrong with that and probably better than up-scaling the Summilux. I am happy with the current camera, possibly with further firmware fine-tuning.

I'm very happy with the current camera as well. Some firmware tuning plus adding handgrip and thumbs up and this has pretty much all the functionality and IQ I ever wanted in a high end camera (getting to the point like we had with film cameras where there was not much you could do to improve on them so didn't need to keep upgrading all the time). All that is needed is long term Leica support comittment so we can have them serviced down the road when necessary.

Will that Billingham small bag hold the Q with hood in place, and if so, is there room for anything else?

There is a small pocket in front of the main compartment to stow batteries , cleaning materials, flash, notebooks, etc., the main compartment is quite roomy for the Leica Q including the hood with lenscap

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Peter L