Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve been following this thread to add to my understanding of how my 1960’s Elmar 35 3.5 (with infinity lock mechanism), would work best with my M10. The OP,s result with the Kipon adaptor, with cutout was encouraging. However, that result doesn’t carry over to the Elmar 35. The cutout for 35mm is much larger. (Wider) so the lens code sensor on the M10 body is fully exposed. Setting the lens detection to “off” or “manual” doesn’t allow live view to work for more than a couple of seconds and then the “lens not detected” warning appears. The body will continue to function using the viewfinder.

I have experimented by covering the exposed code reading elements and that does stop the live view system from switching off. The work around may be to apply an opaque strip above the the sensor when this lens and adaptor is being used.

Am I correct in assuming that the Kipon 50 covers enough of the code sensor. (It stops any light reaching the sensor so allows any chosen type of lens sensing to support some sort of logical decision. The 35 doesn’t.

Any comments or advice welcome. I’d like to have live view with this lens.

Thanks

Edited by lucerne

I have two LTM TO M adaptors with cutouts. I use the Hansa 35 / 135 for my Elmar 35 and the framelines are correct. But what is the physical difference between this one and the other one for 50mm / 75 ? They actually look as if they would deliver the same framelines. The cutouts are the same. Aren’t they?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lucerne

Lucerne,

The frame lines differences are on the other side of adapters: on one element of bayonet side.

The three couples are long/medium/short cut for 28/90 - 50/75 - 35/135  .

Just compare what you have, but the other side :rolleyes:.

• Like 1

There seem to be some "Kipon" branded adapters around which definitely look like brass (I just got a PM). So maybe, today, even the cheaper Chinese production facilities have to cut costs further - or they, themselves, are falling victim to product piracy and mine is just labled Kipon.

Anyway, I will go and search for a Leitz or Voigtländer 50/75 in good condition. Wish me luck ;)

There used to be issues with adapters with cut-outs on digital Ms as the camera did not recognise that a lens was mounted, but this seems to have disappeared. The Kipon item seems to have one cut-out to aid removal, for which you need a rear lens cap with studs on it, like some of the ones from the 1950s. As for infinity focus, there are so many variables (old lens, adapter, aperture, actual point of focus etc, etc, that it is difficult to judge this from an online photos. Looking quickly at the photo above, this seems to be as good as you might expect from an 86 year old lens. I notice a small amount of chromatic aberration in the blown up image, but this is easily fixed in Lightroom and should improve edge sharpness. I have quite a few adapters from Leica, Voigtlander and cheap Chinese items. If one does not work, I just reach into the box and take out another one. It is interesting that this one has spaces for 6 bit coding, but that is not something that interests me. As a collector, I would never, ever add six bit coding to a vintage lens.

The important thing is to stop pixel peeping and to go out and have fun with your vintage lens/ digital M combination. Some combinations will work better than others and you will only find this out by trial and error.

I had fun today using a Jupiter 3 (Zeiss Sonnar copy ) f1.5 LTM lens, which I bought in St Petersburg last week, on a Leica M 240 . I used a Voigtlander 50-75mm adapter with no cut out and the combination worked very well. I told the M240 that it was a 50mm f1.4 lens. 

William

• Like 1

Good luck Mathias.

I have some more opinions:

- some Leitz adapters had some wear in use and in measurement they don't exceed 0.98mm (so only two percent wear from 1.0mm)

- some lesser brand (don't remember which) built with "hard metal" (not Voigtlander which is 1.0mm new and used) thicker when new something as 1.05 mm while other 0.96mm

- some "no name" adapter even stuck on M body and very hard to unmount with Leitz 3-prong-cap (the plastic prongs were almost wear-out after that) : incredible.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

I have a Lomography Russar lens with LTM adapter and it fitted wonderful on my M6. 

What's the brand of your adapter ?

In my experience, film Ms are more forgiving on "soft metal ring" blowing "dust" away that's all.

We could imagine the same "soft metal bit" (fallen from the ring when mount/unmount the lens) inside  our sensor digital M :unsure:.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

There seem to be some "Kipon" branded adapters around which definitely look like brass (I just got a PM). So maybe, today, even the cheaper Chinese production facilities have to cut costs further - or they, themselves, are falling victim to product piracy and mine is just labled Kipon.

Anyway, I will go and search for a Leitz or Voigtländer 50/75 in good condition. Wish me luck ;)

I'm thinking about buying a Kipon LTM 50/75 Adapter with coding option.

One question: Are the lenses in this adapter aligned after screwing in?

So that the aperture and focus marks are oriented how it should be?

I have a chinese adapter (fotodiox) where this is not the case.

I'm thinking about buying a Kipon LTM 50/75 Adapter with coding option.

One question: Are the lenses in this adapter aligned after screwing in?

So that the aperture and focus marks are oriented how it should be?

I have a chinese adapter (fotodiox) where this is not the case.

Which LTM lenses ?

My Canon LTM lenses are not aligned but stop at 1 o'clock used with Leitz original adapters.

Which LTM lenses ?

My Canon LTM lenses are not aligned but stop at 1 o'clock used with Leitz original adapters.

My question was about the Kipon adapter - Any experience?

All my Leica and Voitgländer LTM lenses are aligned with all my adapters, except the fotodiox.

But I'm looking for a 6-Bit option.

For me it ist not a problem of different lenses ...

Edited by cp995

The 'which LTM lens' was a valid question as it is usually the lens that determines if it mounts with infinity at 12 o'clock or at 1 o'clock. 

Many Leica LTM lenses are meant to mount at 1 o'clock looking from the front, or offset to the left when looking down on the camera. If it helps I have a Kipon adapter for my 50mm 3.5 Elmar and it mounts the lens correctly with infinity at 1 o'clock, but using the same adapter with my later era 50mm Summitar it mounts it correctly at 12 o'clock. This is the case for all my LTM lenses and various makes of adapter, all the combinations mimic the original orientation of the lens to the body.

And just to clear it up if anybody is wondering the reason many LTM lenses on screwmount bodies where offset intentionally, it's so the focus scale could be read more easily when accessories were mounted on the accessory shoe. All modern LTM lenses such as Voigtlander will mount at 12 o'clock on any modern adapter (or on an LTM body) because they do not conform to the early Leica practice of being offset.

Edited by 250swb

The 'which LTM lens' was a valid question as it is usually the lens that determines if it mounts with infinity at 12 o'clock or at 1 o'clock.

O.k., maybe, thanks for your help!

My LTM lenses (i.e. Elmar 3,5/50 redscale) all stay with infinity at 12 o'clock on my Leica IIIf and my Voigtländer LTM/M adapters too.

Only with my 6-Bit fotodiox adapter I have the problem with infinity at 11 o'clock.

So for me it is not a question of the lenses but the adapter. ;)

Edited by cp995

You are right Mathias.

To be sure, I've just tried M10 with Leitz LTM adapter with cut-out sector and Elmar 3.5/50 LTM of 40's.

When using "Auto Lens Detection" and pushing "center button" (old INFO on former M) "Uncoded" show.

And using RF is fine with the combo.

When I push LV, "ATTENTION no lens mounted" and M10 turns off LV after few seconds.

So using RF as usual is possible and no LV with cut-out LTM adapter.

Agree that is ennoying, but half-useful is better than not.

Maybe some change in next firmware.

Upgraded to new firmware today and LV still complains about lens missing with 3.5/5cm Elmar and Leitz cut-out adapter. Manually selecting the lens type will make LV work, but only until camera is powered off. Unfortunately, using a user profile to select the type for an uncoded lens doesn't work in this case.

Upgraded to new firmware today and LV still complains about lens missing with 3.5/5cm Elmar and Leitz cut-out adapter. Manually selecting the lens type will make LV work, but only until camera is powered off. Unfortunately, using a user profile to select the type for an uncoded lens doesn't work in this case.

Strange requirement, but I just tried ist with my Elmar 3,5/50 and  a cut-out Voigtländer adapter.

When I activate LV I get the same error.

For me no problem, as I always switch off Auto lens detection for non-coded lenses and never use LV with this lens.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 4/13/2018 at 8:29 PM, schattenundlicht said:

Anyway, I will go and search for a Leitz or Voigtländer 50/75 in good condition. Wish me luck

I shouldn't bother. I've got a Zeiss 50/75 and the same thing happens. So, if your adapter call up the right frame lines and focuses properly I sholdn't bother.