Advertisement (gone after registration)

[ I did not find a pertinent thread via forum search; if this is a duplicate question, please be so kind to provide a link, otherwise feel free to answer :) ]

What adapters can be reliably used on the M10 for e.g. a classic LTM Elmar 50 mm in your experience?

In older threads (pre M10), the three most widely recommended were

- Original Leitz (50mm seems to be a bit scarce on the market)

- Voigtländer

- CameraQuest/ Rayqual (seem unavailable in Europe)

The M10 has been reported to be more finicky with regard to 6 bit coding. Is it also more of a diva with regard to adapters?

I have read the caveats about collapsing; now I am looking out for an adapter...

Thanks,

Mathias

Edited by schattenundlicht

Rayqual (seem unavailable in Europe)

Ebay, but Rayqual are identical to some other 'manufacturers' and I suspect they all come out the same door anyway. Just buy one with the coding rebates, it will work if you use paint for coding. 

Ebay, but Rayqual are identical to some other 'manufacturers' and I suspect they all come out the same door anyway. Just buy one with the coding rebates, it will work if you use paint for coding.

I am just rather concerned with reports of adapters with sharp edges and insufficient manufacturing tolerances getting jammed inside the camera. I do not want to damage my M10. There may, of course, be many excellent no-name adapters just for the reason that, like you said, they come from the same assembly line as some branded ones. But there do seem to be huge differences in manufacturing quality. Even if I hate to overpay for a company logo on a generic piece of metal, I would hate even more to send my M10 to Wetzlar for repair of self-inflicted damage... Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

Mathias,

In the past, I have used some good and bad adapters to use my multiple LTM lenses on my Ms.

As side note, one or two original Leitz adapters were off tolerance (maybe after heavy use), they are stiff to mount/unmount.

So now if to buy one, I'd not liking to search second hand Leitz adapter anymore.

Best buy for me now would be new Voigtlander adapter like one of those :

https://www.lapetiteboutiquephoto.com/boutique/liste_produits.cfm?type=105&code_lg=lg_fr&num=3

For M10, I'd buy one without cut-out (for Elmar focus tab it may be necessary to use "with cut-out").

When I use on M10 one LTM -M adapter with cut-out on 50mm, the message says "no lens attached" !

Arnaud

• Like 1

As side note, one or two original Leitz adapters were off tolerance (maybe after heavy use), they are stiff to mount/unmount.

So now if to buy one, I'd not liking to search second hand Leitz adapter anymore.

This is a very good point, indeed. Thanks!

For M10, I'd buy one without cut-out (for Elmar focus tab it may be necessary to use "with cut-out").

When I use on M10 one LTM -M adapter with cut-out on 50mm, the message says "no lens attached" !

Then, I will be at a bit of a loss: I want to use my ‚infinity lock‘ LTM lenses, but I want to use them on my M10. If M10 checks mount against coding and does not work in case of conflict, I will have a problem...

Kind regards

Mathias

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are right Mathias.

To be sure, I've just tried M10 with Leitz LTM adapter with cut-out sector and Elmar 3.5/50 LTM of 40's.

When using "Auto Lens Detection" and pushing "center button" (old INFO on former M) "Uncoded" show.

And using RF is fine with the combo.

When I push LV, "ATTENTION no lens mounted" and M10 turns off LV after few seconds.

So using RF as usual is possible and no LV with cut-out LTM adapter.

Agree that is ennoying, but half-useful is better than not.

Maybe some change in next firmware.

• Like 1

You are right Mathias.

To be sure, I've just tried M10 with Leitz LTM adapter with cut-out sector and Elmar 3.5/50 LTM of 40's.

When using "Auto Lens Detection" and pushing "center button" (old INFO on former M) "Uncoded" show.

And using RF is fine with the combo.

When I push LV, "ATTENTION no lens mounted" and M10 turns off LV after few seconds.

So using RF as usual is possible and no LV with cut-out LTM adapter.

Agree that is ennoying, but half-useful is better than not.

Maybe some change in next firmware.

Could you place this in the ‚firmware wish list‘ thread that, I am sure, will be read by Leica?

That would be kind.

I've used the CameraQuest/ Rayqual adapter and the Fotodiox adapter with my M262. Both work fine, no damage nor sharpe edges on either adapter I purchased. The Photodiox adapter has the "pits" already milled for lens coding which worked fine when I painted in the code with flat(matte) black and flat white enamel paint. I'm using a Nikkor 5C  f2.0 which works great with either adapter. The Rayqual adapter has an area milled for lens coding however the milling is not done with six individual pits. It is one continuous recessed area. This makes coding not as easy as the Fotodiox adapter. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I thought Voigtländer had discontinued LTM/M adapters so link is useful. The supplied end cap has to two raised dimples so removing adapter from camera should not be a problem (it can otherwise be very tight to unscrew). Red Dot supplies inexpensive Chinese adapters but tolerances are significant: one I had from Rayqual was way out when tested by Malcolm Taylor with a lens he was servicing some year ago.

• Like 1

Because of build quality and tight tolerances, I would have loved the Voigtländer adapter.

However, the current line of their M39 adapters allows for 6 bit coding but does not accomodate lenses with infinity lock, whereas the older line of Voigtländer lenses, which was OK with the infinity lock lenses (albeit not 6 bit codeable), is no longer produced by them :(

Double check the specs of the Voigtlander and third party adapters which I have found to be too thick on various occasions  , test infinity focussing !

Adapters with cut-out will be troublesome when lens recognition / 6 bit reading is turned on.

I have received a PM with regard to an adapter type that seems to combine both features in that it

a. has a partial cutout for the infinity lock and

b. small indentations (not full breadth of adapter due to the infinity cutout) for 6 bit coding.

I have found a source from within Europe so that I do not have any hassle with customs from HK. Under European law I will have a full refund on return guarantee. Before screwing or bayonetting that on any of my precious Leica items, I will thoroughly measure it ;) however it has been given a good track record by a forum member.

I will not disclose make and model yet, as I do not wish to endorse an item that I do not currently own. I will post an update on my experience, once it arrives.

Because of build quality and tight tolerances, I would have loved the Voigtländer adapter.

However, the current line of their M39 adapters allows for 6 bit coding but does not accomodate lenses with infinity lock, whereas the older line of Voigtländer lenses, which was OK with the infinity lock lenses (albeit not 6 bit codeable), is no longer produced by them :(

EDIT for typo in above post (after regular edit option had expired):

Please mentally replace "older line of Voigtländer lenses" by "older line of Voigtländer adapters". Rather self-evident, but I hate to write rubbish ;)

[ Disclaimer: I have no conflict of interest to declare here. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the manufacturer or distributor of this accessory. I have bought this item at regular online price ]

Ok, so now that the adapter has arrived (Kipon from China via European distributor), I will share my first impressions here.

I. Features:

1. Infinity lock cutout
  2. 6 bit pits

II. Look & Feel:

1. The adapter is lightweight, because, unfortunately, it is not made of chromed brass but of aluminium.
  2. Machining is satisfactory, no overly sharp edges.

III. Mounting:

1. LTM lens screws in with a slight scraping sound and feel (most propably due to the aluminium).
  2. Concerns about longevity of the thread immediately creep up.
  3. Bayonet lock on M10 is smooth, with exact fit & click. Unmounting is a bit stiff.

III. Focusing

1. Entire focus throw usable.
  2. Infinity lock works fine.
  3. Live View works fine (no "no lens attached" warnings)

Quick & dirty iPhone snaps (sorry to all decent macro photogs for that) below. Near and infinity test shots will follow with separate posts.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Close focus

• 86 year old LTM Elmar 50 f/3.5, wide open
  • M10 @ ISO 320
  • Very sloppy available light setup, no technical testing

To me, focus seems acceptable (below: full view and strong crop, both ooc jpeg without additional postprocessing).

Infinity focus (hard stop)

• No pictorial motif at all, but that is not the point here
  • Horrible light of drizzly afternoon
  • DNG w/o post; jpeg export for forum resize

I am not sure, if infinity focus is OK, as I never before have used my ancient LTM's (all with slight cleaning marks) on my M10, and I really do not know what to expect. Seems slightly off but acceptable. Maybe I am spoilt by digital photography's pixel peeping which I try to avoid but am not entirely immune to. Nearly a hundred years ago nobody would have expected perfect 'sharpness' from a collapsible small format lens, shot wide open...

Could anybody with more experience regarding old LTMs on adapters please comment? Thanks!

Preliminary verdict:

Pros:

1. Codeable
  2. Fully useable with infinity lock LTMs

Cons:

1. Light aluminium alloy raises durability concerns (or even worst case scenarios of metal shavings finding their way into the camera)
  2. Manufacturing tolerances seem OK
  3. Overall built quality much cheaper than Voigtländer, although the Kipon is not cheap
  4. Infinity focus seems a little bit off (but this could be my unrealistic expectations)

Will I keep it?

Well, I would definitely prefer one of the Voigtländers with the infinity lock cutout, because of the much superior overall feel and material quality, but unfortunately they are no longer being manufactured. Voigtländer currently supplies their newer adapters with 6 bit coding pits but w/o infinity lock cutout :(