R lens underexposure and M lens adapter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings all.

I am a new owner of a Leica CL. There's much to admire (and to learn) about it, but I am struggling with two issues with adapted lenses.

I purchased the hideously expensive Leica R to L adapter for my Leica R 28-90 lens. It all fits perfectly, and the camera instantly recognizes the lens. I worked with it in Manual mode. (The only other choice is Aperture Priority, but a couple of attempts with that produced similar results.) In M or A mode, the lens itself is always stopped down, but the EVF compensates nicely for that to keep the brightness useful.

It was late afternoon and I set the ISO to 800. In every case, I metered the scene, confirmed the exposure in the histogram, took the picture -- and the post-exposure histogram in Playback consistently showed one stop of underexposure. So too did the images themselves, by eyeballing them. I have exposure compensation set to zero, so I can't figure out what is going on. It's quite upsetting to spend so much and have this problem -- particularly since I can't figure out what might be to blame. I used the R 28-90 on a rented Leica SL (with a third party dumb adapter) and don't remember having this problem.

On a separate note, I bought the Voigtlander 15mm III M-mount lens to complement the Leica 18-56 zoom. Using the Leica M to L adapter, which I also bought, the Voigtlander is a very tight fit on the adapter. For those with this adapter, is it correct that the fit with an M-mount lens is very tight, or is this an issue just with the Voigtlander?

Many thanks for any light that you can shed on these questions!

Edward

Well, to my embarrassment, let me answer my own R lens question first. I went through each and every setting in the Menu. (Fortunately this is not as long an exercise as would be the case with a Sony.) Somehow in Drive Mode the camera had become set to Exposure Bracketing. So even though I had exposure compensation set to zero, I believe that the camera was taking the first of its standard three exposure bracketed shots, in this case the one stop underexposed one (the range I had set in the camera). A confusion on my part of Exposure Bracketing and Exposure Compensation, combined with an inexplicable inadvertent choice of the wrong Drive Mode.

Even a Leica's menu may be more than I can handle . . . .

Welcome to the forum :).

I have no experience with the CV 15/4.5 v3 but my v2 copy is normally tight on the Leica M to L adapter and so is my CV 21/4 as well as my other M and ZM lenses.

I would try another M lens on your adapter and/or your CV lens on an M body to check which is the culprit.