LCD - Colors

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All

I was in the neighborhood of the local Leica store tonight (a shoot I was in got cancelled)

According to the folks at the Leica store, this purple issue I’m seeing is a known issue. It evidently affects the CL, as well as the Q and the SL. They re planning to correct it with a firmware upgrade, but no ETA. They couldn’t explain it, but not everyone sees it.

I’ll post something in the bugs thread as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by mikbau
  • Like 1

The M240 did oversaturate red and/or magenta at its launch but this affected skin tones then. Seems like your CL and apparently other bodies have the same issue with magenta on jpegs, perhaps to a lesser extent if skin tones are not affected. Mine i don't know as i shoot raw and i find the CL colors pretty well accurate then. Looks like you have discovered a bug anyway. Congratulations :blink:

• Like 1

The M240 did oversaturate red and/or magenta at its launch but this affected skin tones then. Seems like your CL and apparently other bodies have the same issue with magenta on jpegs, perhaps to a lesser extent if skin tones are not affected. Mine i don't know as i shoot raw and i find the CL colors pretty well accurate then. Looks like you have discovered a bug anyway. Congratulations [emoji50].

Thanks! It’s odd because it does it in spots/blotches. It’s not universal, and doesn’t show up on the files - which in talking o the Leica folks is why it hasn’t been a critical priority to fix. I shoot raw as well. I thought it was interesting that they know of the issue without even having to show them examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by mikbau

Ye

The M240 did oversaturate red and/or magenta at its launch but this affected skin tones then. Seems like your CL and apparently other bodies have the same issue with magenta on jpegs, perhaps to a lesser extent if skin tones are not affected. Mine i don't know as i shoot raw and i find the CL colors pretty well accurate then. Looks like you have discovered a bug anyway. Congratulations :blink:.

Yes, but that was mainly insufficient IR filtering (about 70%) which could be cured, like the M8 (50%) and M9(80%), by a filter. The CL appears to filter more effectively.

Depends on usage , I suppose. The skin tones did indeed get improved, but still are not perfect. Under high IR content light it still needs an 586 filter to remove the last effects of IR like the yellow/orange cast in landscapes and blotchy skin. Not surprising given that the sensor IR filter is only .0.7 mm.

Now that i recall it i was a beta tester then. We were all happy about skin tones after the firmware update if memory serves. Now the M240 remains sensitive to IR, more so than the CL certainly but it is an issue shared by other thin filter sensors like that of the M9 or my Sony A7s mod let alone M8 and M8.2 bodies. I have no experience with the M10 though. 

As LCT says the red handling of the m240 was initially a significant problem and was fixed with the first firmware update. As someone who usually has things on day one I moaned about it a lot ...... and in beta testing the effect was much improved. There was still a residual issue with the red channel being blown with subjects where red predominated. As we see the sun only a few times a year in the UK the other IR issue rarely causes trouble.

• Like 1

From past experience with other new Leica cameras, 6 months is about the earliest you are likely to see anything....... Leica doesn’t release in the sort of volumes of the big guys so bugs and feedback take a while to filter through to HQ. As there are no obvious major issues I doubt they are in any great hurry..... and it’s anyone’s guess what additional features or modifications ...... if any .....they are planning.

• Like 1

That was more or less the impression I got from the Leica store folks as well - although, being it was my first experience with them, I wasn't sure how knowledgable they were about these sorts of things

From past experience with other new Leica cameras, 6 months is about the earliest you are likely to see anything....... Leica doesn’t release in the sort of volumes of the big guys so bugs and feedback take a while to filter through to HQ. As there are no obvious major issues I doubt they are in any great hurry..... and it’s anyone’s guess what additional features or modifications ...... if any .....they are planning.

They are pretty clued up, so no worry. OTOH, it cannot be done fast. Firstly they are small and secondly they are in the habit of having new firmware beta tested by forum members. The process takes time.

For any Leica folks who happen to be reading/listening, I would happily participate in beta testing

They are pretty clued up, so no worry. OTOH, it cannot be done fast. Firstly they are small and secondly they are in the habit of having new firmware beta tested by forum members. The process takes time.

I did that this am right after I saw the post about filling out your User CP for potential beta testers

On another note, not that I need to hear back at this point- but what's the turn around time on emails to customer service?

Just fill out your User CP on this forum