LCD - Colors

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

I picked up a Nikon F to M adaptor  - which I've attached to the Leica M to L adaptor - I've affixed an older Nikkor 105mm - it was a cheaper option than going for the Novoflex adaptor, since I already had the M to L.

I have a forrest out back, and I was was shooting a few test shots at one of the larger trees through the window. I noticed on the LCD that there were significant shades of purple in the bark textures (it's much more purple on the LCD than represented in the attached, but I took the shot with my iPhone)

However - when I import to ACR as a quick look, there is no purple. It's more or less color correct

Has anyone else experience the LCD being so far off, color-wise? At first I was afraid I was seeing purple fringing that I've read some lenses do - but it seems that isn't the case at all, it's how the LCD is representing the image.

Update:

1) It doesn't matter if I shoot through a window or not

2) I tried a similar shot with my Voightlander 35mm (and the M to L adaptor) - lots of purple as well - I took one shot where the upper half of the tree trunk was in the sun, the bottom in the shade. The shady area was almost completely purple. 

Thanks!

Michael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mikbau

Here's the shot with the tree in light/shadow - LCD and 100% crop in PS

Voightlander 35mm... ISO 800. 

Edited by mikbau

Nope, haven't seen that with my CL.  Do you only see this with the new (to you) Nikkor 105mm?  Or can you reproduce the effect with other lenses?  If you shoot another picture of the same tree bark now, do you still have the problem in the LCD?  Or does it seem to be lighting dependent?  I'm wondering whether you do, in fact, have a touch of chromatic aberration that ACR is taking out automatically (yes, it can do that), And somehow the down-sized JPG that is used for LCD preview is greatly exaggerating whatever lateral color is present in the image.  Not sure--it's just a guess.  The 105mm AIS did have a fair amount of purple fringing wide open, though it was much reduced by f/5.6.

• Like 1

That last shot that I posted was from a Voighlander 35mm....not the 105mm.  So it seems to be happening universally. 

What's also interesting....it seems to be more pronounced when I"m just shooting DNG. If I shoot DNG+JPEG, it's not nearly as noticeable (the lighting changed, so I couldn't reproduce it exactly.) I'm wondering if it's the CL's interpretation of the DNG on the LCD?

Sorry....quick update to the above. It was not the Voightlander 35...I had switched to the Zeiss 50mm 1.5

So I originally saw the issue with the 105....then subsequently with the Zeiss 50mm 1.5 - which was used in my second post where you can really see the purple....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That was my thought - but it seems like a crazy amount of CA for the Zeiss 50mm - especially in that large chunk of the bottom of that tree trunk that was in the shadows. I’ve never seen that on any of my Nikon or Fuji gear. I may try to reproduce with the same lens on the XPro2 - but it certainly strikes me as a rendering issue with the CL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by mikbau

I won't buy into the CA explanation but i may be wrong because the Sonnar-C 50/1.5 is not immune from it. In my view both your LCD and 100% crop have some magenta cast but it is more pronounced on the LCD because it is more contrasty. Adding 50% general contrast to your crop above leads to the result below. I would choose "Natural" in the Film Style menu in the first place and see what happens.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

That was my thought - but it seems like a crazy amount of CA for the Zeiss 50mm - especially in that large chunk of the bottom of that tree trunk that was in the shadows. I’ve never seen that on any of my Nikon or Fuji gear. I may try to reproduce with the same lens on the XPro2 - but it certainly strikes me as a rendering issue with the CL

well, something must have thrown the JPEG engine off track
  • Like 1

I tried a few more tests this am. It's overcast here, and the light is fairly neutral.

I tried a few test shots - using both STD and Natural as film styles. ISO800 at 5.6

1. Natural seems to produce less CA (Or, what ever the purple is) than Standard

2. Shooting DNG+JPG produces less CA in the LCD than just DNG

3. I tried at f8 and f11 - and I"m still seeing instances in the LCD. It's not as pronounced, but it's there. There are definitive magenta spots in the texture of the bark

4. I tried the same setup on my Fuji X-Pro2 with the Zeiss - there is no CA apparent on the LCD at all

I realize the Sonnar isn't immune from CA, but from what I've gathered, it's not an issue past f4. I would think at 5.6, it would be virtually gone....never mind f8 and f11, but something about the JPEG engine in the CL is cranking it up to crazy levels - it's almost as if it's heightening anything close to a purple/magenta color

Everything out of the camera, file-wise, seems ok. Whether it's DNG or JPEG. And I've not tweaked any setting in ACR, I"m just opening the files. Having never seen this before, I wanted to make sure I don't have a lemon. I think it's interesting that no one else seems to have seen this occur.

I’ve tried a few shots with a Voightlander 35 and 21 - similar results. Less pronounced than the 50, but the purple is still prevalent.

I won't buy into the CA explanation but i may be wrong because the Sonnar-C 50/1.5 is not immune from it. In my view both your LCD and 100% crop have some magenta cast but it is more pronounced on the LCD because it is more contrasty. Adding 50% general contrast to your crop above leads to the result below. I would choose "Natural" in the Film Style menu in the first place and see what happens.

attachicon.gifcontrast_plus50.jpg

Edited by mikbau

Yes i don't see a CA problem here even if the Sonnar (at least mine) has not less CA at medium than fast apertures. Would be interesting to shoot a subject matter with no magenta in it to see if the jpeg engine adds some magenta on its own which sounds unlikely though. 

Edit: I should have asked in the first place but did you choose Vivid as Film Style? 

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

I’ve shot a bunch of other subjects without magenta in them - my daughters, for example. No issues there. It seems there’s something about the color and contrast of the bark. I photographed a wood fence as a test, but there must be a bit of magenta in its color spectrum as I noticed the same anomalies.

If this is normal for the JPEG engine, I would expect others on here to have experienced it.

That is not normal; send it to Leica.

I’m wondering if it’s something they can repair or if they will swap it out. If the later, I’m wondering if the local store can do that? The thought of going several weeks without it doesn’t thrill me - mostly because I literally just bought it. I have to say, as a first time Leica experience.....

First send the image you posted.

There is what seems to be a generic email address when I look at my customer page on the Leica site along with phone numbers for the reps. Assuming I should send to that address? Was thinking I’d call

The reps Monday. I bought mine through B&H but hoping the local store can be helpful.