Rumour - Fuji to discontinue Acros 100

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's not the case at all. It might be country-specific, but here in the US there is clearly a trend back to film. C't Fotografie journal published in Germany recently had a full article about the trend back to analog photography which pointed out the US where the trend is clearly visible. That one company cuts back on film doesn't mean that others do the same - the opposite is in fact the case, others are expanding again.

I have a subscription on the German magazine “PhotoKlassik”. It is dedicated only to analog photography. In the latest issue there was an article about the future of film. Instant film is doing well, but they had some doubts about other film.

On the other hand Adox is progressing with their new building, Kodak rereleased P3200 (I’m still waiting for the Ektachrome release), for B&W there is plenty of choice at Ilford and other brands.

Ferrania started again (P30) and now is looking for investors.

Best

I have a subscription on the German magazine “PhotoKlassik”. It is dedicated only to analog photography. In the latest issue there was an article about the future of film. Instant film is doing well, but they had some doubts about other film.

On the other hand Adox is progressing with their new building, Kodak rereleased P3200 (I’m still waiting for the Ektachrome release), for B&W there is plenty of choice at Ilford and other brands.

Ferrania started again (P30) and now is looking for investors.

Best

Yes, my impression is that the German market is different than the US market in regards to analog photography. In Germany less people have space for a darkroom setup and are also more restricted to use chemicals for the development of films, too. So I am not surprised that PhotoKlassik doesn't see the same increased interest in film compared to other countries. I can also tell by members in social network analog groups that most come from North America followed by Asia as second.

• Like 1

Not good news Keith, but to be fair the closest I have come to Acros was the film simulation within my X-Pro2.

Delta 100 for me any day, and this sort of news can only be music to the ears of the likes of Ilford et al.

Gary

Hi Gary

I use Acros 100 and have an X-Pro2. The digital is indeed a rather poor imitation of the real thing, with weak tonality and an inability to handle highlights. I have a good stock of Acros, and it will be hard to substitute, although I agree Kodak T-Max 100 and Ilford Delta 100 are the obvious first ones to consider.

• Like 2

In 35mm terms, Acros 100 is the only ISO 100 film I have used for quite a few years. In 120 roll film I have also used FP4 and Fomapan 100 with good results (with 1:50 Rodinal), so they will be my 'fall-back' choices as and when supplies of Acros run-out (or prices are pushed up too far).  

Odd thing to do considering the rising interest in film, but then again they are still in business and Kodak went bankrupt. Never used the film, I read how some people love it and was tempted recently to try (especially now that we have longer daylight and a higher sun), oh well. OTOH, in the place where I get my film developed scanned in NYC they also sell film and when I was there yesterday I went to buy some more Kodak TMax 3200, which I tried and used and enjoy very much for shooting in my favorite jazz club, and I got the last two rolls in stock. Ill timed for Fuji, but thankfully there are plenty of wonderful alternatives.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went to buy some more Kodak TMax 3200, which I tried and used and enjoy very much for shooting in my favorite jazz club, and I got the last two rolls in stock. Ill timed for Fuji, but thankfully there are plenty of wonderful alternatives.

I decided to give TMax 3200 a try recently too and found that it's out of stock at all of the usual places I shop online.  Maybe Kodax underestimated the demand.  I just tracked some down at a small brick-and-mortar shop near me who told me that it's been selling very well.  The film revival is real, but I guess Fuji doesn't think it's going to be a big enough market to continue playing in.  

• Like 1

I decided to give TMax 3200 a try recently too and found that it's out of stock at all of the usual places I shop online.  Maybe Kodax underestimated the demand.  I just tracked some down at a small brick-and-mortar shop near me who told me that it's been selling very well.  The film revival is real, but I guess Fuji doesn't think it's going to be a big enough market to continue playing in.  

Fuji is, I gather, making money with its digital line-up, its other products, and certainly with its instax instant film,  whereas Kodak was always narrowed to a film/chemical company despite other attempts. So yes, perhaps Fuji doesn't have to rationalize its production to make money out of smaller runs. As well as Kodak films are selling, it won't ever get back to the 1990s for lots of reasons,  cell phone photography being the biggest one (the current era instamatic). Some of this T-max demand is probably first time users wanting to try but I can say I am a user when the lights are low -- beats pushed Tri-X and digital at 3200 ISO :-)

Can't wait to see the Ektachrome fly off the shelves whenever it is first released!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

From what I read, Fuji dismantled most of their film manufacturing facilities many, many years ago, long before the interest in analog film photography restartet.

Fuji has just been selling and offloading a large inventory of their last batches, and then gradually discontinuing their filmes as their inventory empties... The manufacturing plants have been shut down a long time ago. Which is also why they discontinue their film, as it would take too much resources to rebuild their manufacturing infrastructure.

I'm sure that within 5 years Fujifilm won't have a single film stock for sale any more... Well, except Instax film of course.

Edited by indergaard
  • Like 1

From what I read, Fuji dismantled most of their film manufacturing facilities many, many years ago, long before the interest in analog film photography restartet.

Fuji has just been selling and offloading a large inventory of their last batches, and then gradually discontinuing their filmes as their inventory empties... The manufacturing plants have been shut down a long time ago. Which is also why they discontinue their film, as it would take too much resources to rebuild their manufacturing infrastructure.

I'm sure that within 5 years Fujifilm won't have a single film stock for sale any more... Well, except Instax film of course.

Interesting info - this actually would make sense. Over 5 years ago the interest was predominantly in digital and just in the last couple of years an increased interest in analog photography is visible. Likely too late for Fuji to turn the boat around. 

Is there any film sales data out there? I can't see any since around 2010 (except for instax).

I'm surprised how many people I see, who I would put into the happy snapper category rather than enthusiasts, carrying old and cheap 35mm film cameras around. If this is common world wide, I suspect there a trend in the reduction in sales to that group, just as the enthusiast, pro and student group increases. I'm curious to know how the two trends balance out.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Interesting info - this actually would make sense. Over 5 years ago the interest was predominantly in digital and just in the last couple of years an increased interest in analog photography is visible. Likely too late for Fuji to turn the boat around. 

It could be correct, but if that were the case, why would the expiry dates be changing ? 

While Acros is a very nice film, there are plenty of other options on the market that are equally as good or even better. As mentioned by others, Fuji will eventually run out of stocks, and all films will be discontinued. I hope Kodak will have the incentives to fill in the gaps such as a ISO 1600 color negative and a couple of slide film options.

• 2 months later...

The rumour is gathering pace and I hope Fujifilm do resume production of Acros 100.  Due to the unmatched reciprocity characteristic, I've used Acros 100 in both 120 and 35mm formats for years and my stockpile is dwindling.  The cynical side of me has also noticed the insidious rise in cost of remaining stocks, particularly with 35mm Acros 100.  I'm sure Fujifilm can be equally cynical. 

We shall see.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1