Newbie checking in

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings, I have just acquired a M240 today - I'm super excited!!  It is my first full frame digital camera.  I love the classic mechanical shutter design over CMOS sensor is amazing.  What is the advantage of using old school shutter, it sounds very nice tho.  I also realize it's much quieter than both my old nikon FM2 and F3.   

Due to budget constraints I am using my old nikon lenses thru a novoflex mount.  I am drooling on 3 lenses, they are 24mm, 50mm and 90mm prime lenses.  I tested the 35mm f2 at the dealer and took some random images in he shop, the images were fantastic!  

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your choice. Using old lenses is not a problem but IMO you would be better off with Leica glass.

24, 50, and 90 is a good combination. It covers the field well. Longer lenses than 90 usually requires a monopod or tripod. There is a whole forum section devoted to lenses. 

Jaeger, a warm welcome to the Forum. If cost is an issue, do not overlook the f/2.4 Summarit range of lenses; you lose virtually nothing other than half a stop. I've got the 35/2.4 and I love it. The build quality is every bit as good as the more expensive glass. Good hunting!

Edited by masjah

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings, I have just acquired a M240 today - I'm super excited!! It is my first full frame digital camera. I love the classic mechanical shutter design over CMOS sensor is amazing. What is the advantage of using old school shutter, it sounds very nice tho. I also realize it's much quieter than both my old nikon FM2 and F3.

Due to budget constraints I am using my old nikon lenses thru a novoflex mount. I am drooling on 3 lenses, they are 24mm, 50mm and 90mm prime lenses. I tested the 35mm f2 at the dealer and took some random images in he shop, the images were fantastic!

Welcome! Enjoy your journey. Don't be in a hurry to buy lenses. Enjoy what you have. I shoot with FM2 as well. Last weekend I was out with M240 and FM2 and used the same 28-85 Nikkor on both to shoot wildflowers. I enjoyed being outside and photographing. That is all that matters. Photos are a plus.

Enjoy shooting. :)

Jaeger, a warm welcome to the Forum. If cost is an issue, do not overlook the f/2.4 Summarit range of lenses; you lose virtually nothing other than half a stop. I've got the 35/2.4 and I love it. The build quality is every bit as good as the more expensive glass. Good hunting!

I've ordered the 24mm summilux for the dark or indoor environments and I always can step down to F/2.4 when needed.  =)  It is coming in my mailbox tomorrow and I'm so excited.  I've never had a wide angle lens as fast as f/1.4, it's going to be a blast!  

• Like 1

Welcome...if I could have only one lens the 35mm cron would be it. It is on my M, 90 percent of the time.

Have lots of fun!

That's my friend was keep telling me.  Correct me if I'm wrong, I can always crop to 35mm equivalent if I really need to. 

Thank you for the warm welcome folks.  I ordered both 24 summilux and APO 90mm summicorn.  For the 50mm I'd stay with the nikkon f/1.4 for a while but I have some difficulty using it.  The rangefinder isn't focusing so I have to use EVF2 but the peaking signal is very weak and the focus assistant (I set it to X5) does not pop automatically.  Is there any solution to fix these? 

Welcome! Enjoy your journey. Don't be in a hurry to buy lenses. Enjoy what you have. I shoot with FM2 as well. Last weekend I was out with M240 and FM2 and used the same 28-85 Nikkor on both to shoot wildflowers. I enjoyed being outside and photographing. That is all that matters. Photos are a plus.

Enjoy shooting. :)

Thank you Jmahto

Can you use the rangefinder to focus your nikkon?  Do you have weak peaking signal when using nikkon lens like I do?  I use Novoflex mount.

Thank you Jmahto

Can you use the rangefinder to focus your nikkon? Do you have weak peaking signal when using nikkon lens like I do? I use Novoflex mount.

There is no RF coupling for Nikon DSLR lenses. You will have to use LV to focus (LCD or EVF). Peaking signal depends on lens sharpness at the plane of focus and sharp edges on the subect both. It can be hard to show sometimes and can be imprecise. The only sure way is to zoom focus.

Congratulations! It’s actually a very nice camera. :)

The peaking signal is weak because of the quite weak cpu. You can improve it a bit focusing by open aperture or increasing the contrast.

But be carefully. You cannot choose the contrast independent for focus and for shot. (I don´t understand why it´s not possible with this camera. It could be so easy to realize it by software change.)

For activate the focus assistant see Introduction manual page 49. It works very well.

But the best way to focus is using the fantastic rangefinder. Its really apleasure.

For an 50mm I recommend you the amazing Summicron 50mm APO. You can get used for an reasonable price at some Leica dealers.

Enjoy the beauty! 

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Please help me understand why 50mm APO summicron is more expensive than 50mm summilux?  I guess the summilus is also APO yeah?

I bought a 50mm summmicorn screwmount that is produced in 1950 according to the serial number, it's not super sharp like modern lenses but pretty nice.  =)

Congratulations! It’s actually a very nice camera. :)

The peaking signal is weak because of the quite weak cpu. You can improve it a bit focusing by open aperture or increasing the contrast.

But be carefully. You cannot choose the contrast independent for focus and for shot. (I don´t understand why it´s not possible with this camera. It could be so easy to realize it by software change.)

For activate the focus assistant see Introduction manual page 49. It works very well.

But the best way to focus is using the fantastic rangefinder. Its really apleasure.

For an 50mm I recommend you the amazing Summicron 50mm APO. You can get used for an reasonable price at some Leica dealers.

Enjoy the beauty! 

Edited by jaeger

I'm giving up the idea of using nikon lenses on Leica and returning the conversion mount.  I will probably get a used nikon d750 body to use my old lenses or just completely getting rid of all nikon.  

There is no RF coupling for Nikon DSLR lenses. You will have to use LV to focus (LCD or EVF). Peaking signal depends on lens sharpness at the plane of focus and sharp edges on the subect both. It can be hard to show sometimes and can be imprecise. The only sure way is to zoom focus.

(Response to post 14)

Smart marketing. Around the “very expensive” price point we wouldn’t buy a cheaper lens that was also slower. We’re very happy to buy a more expensive slower lens.

However, I’ve never thought “if only my APO Summicron-M 50 Asph. would perform a bit better”.

Edited by Exodies

I'm giving up the idea of using nikon lenses on Leica and returning the conversion mount.  I will probably get a used nikon d750 body to use my old lenses or just completely getting rid of all nikon.  

Although I do agree in general that you will be better off with Nikon body to shoot Nikon lens to get the full potential, however if you are using older manual focus lenses then there is not much difference between M with EVF and Nikon DSLR body. If anything it is easier to focus on M due to LV.

See two examples below. 28-85 Nikor (very old cheap lens) on M240.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Do you mean your wouldn't buy a cheaper lens that's faster?  But you don't think APO summicron would perform a bit better.  Can you use simple English?

(Response to post 14)
Smart marketing. Around the “very expensive” price point we wouldn’t buy a cheaper lens that was also slower. We’re very happy to buy a more expensive slower lens.

However, I’ve never thought “if only my APO Summicron-M 50 Asph. would perform a bit better”.

Nice pictures!

Although I do agree in general that you will be better off with Nikon body to shoot Nikon lens to get the full potential, however if you are using older manual focus lenses then there is not much difference between M with EVF and Nikon DSLR body. If anything it is easier to focus on M due to LV.

See two examples below. 28-85 Nikor (very old cheap lens) on M240.
attachicon.gifexp_sm_20180401donwedwards_poppy-1002590.jpg

attachicon.gifexp_sm_20160203yard_flower-1000538-Edit.jpg

Edited by jaeger

I'm enjoying the first week with my new one as well. After having an M8 for a year or so, the step up to this model is amazing. The 10 would've been ideal probably but for what I paid ($2900) the M240 is a superb piece of kit at the right price. All I have right now is a Type 2 50mm Summilux. It's pristine but I'm not sure 50mm is working for me as I generally shoot 35mm or sometimes 28mm. As nice as the Summilux is, I may see about finding a trading partner for a good 35mm Summicron. For now, this kit is wonderful and itches the scratch my M6 provides but in a digital landscape.