Anyone using 18mm?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

Just got my Black tl2 last week and am still figuring out lenses.

I had my sights set on the 23mm but have been eyeing the 18 and have used it on the CL briefly when I was testing it out

Anyone using the 18 on their TL and have any words of wisdom if they like it vs the 23 etc.

Thanks for the help!

Don't have any experience with the 23mm

It's a nice sharp lens in the center wide open, with like all the TL lenses yields great Leica colors. Stop it down and you can get decent sharpness for landscape shots, although not as good as the 11-23 at 18mm. The f/2.8 aperture does hold it back and in low light situations where the 35/1.4 works fine, it simply won't focus.

It's designed to be an extremely discreet, compact lens and makes the camera pocketable. If you don't need those attributes, you might be better off with the 23mm.

As 18mm on APS-C it's equivalent to 28mm full frame, which I use a lot, paired on the M with a 75mm.

When the 18mm came out, I traded in my 23mm. For practical purposes it's IQ quality is excellent. If you're taking fine art images, then a close comparison of edge to edge quality would be worthwhile, but I got the CL for casual and social use - I have the M240 and SL where I want the certainty of the highest standard.

For me the 23mm was too big for casual use with the CL, but the 18mm is tiny and together they slip in my jacket pocket.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Just got my Black tl2 last week and am still figuring out lenses.

I had my sights set on the 23mm but have been eyeing the 18 and have used it on the CL briefly when I was testing it out

Anyone using the 18 on their TL and have any words of wisdom if they like it vs the 23 etc.

Thanks for the help!

18 mm extra small. Typical Leica apsect. Very good lens, I use it often.

• 4 weeks later...

I like mine a lot. It is certainly an Elmarit, with a similar rendering I saw on my m-mount 28, and see also on my X2. And it is certainly sharp enough.

I prefer it to the 23 Summicron, which I found a little sterile and boring.

The size is great, too. Makes up for that wonderful, but giant in comparison, Summilux 35.

Neil, you're incorrigible :-)

I searched that and still don't have a clue what it is...........

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Handsome Yes

Fun Yes

Amazing guy Yes

incorrigible  No idea :( :( 

Neil

There a pre order item at Ffordes so I will look else where in the UK so that I can enjoy the 16% VAT deduction

Neil

@Jeffs its only a small lens.......leave me alone :) :) :) 

Neil

Anyone go a picture of the TL with the 18mm on it??...........I might be interested in getting one.........are they under a grand new??

Anyone go a picture of the TL with the 18mm on it??...........I might be interested in getting one.........are they under a grand new??

Depends on what type of grand. They are 1000 Euro plus VAT.

I went for the Zeiss ZM alternative to the Leica T 18.  I found an in store demo on line - like new in box -   for about $400 less than a new Leica 18 T lens.  It is a tad slower, but for a landscape lens that means little to me.  It is killer sharp right from the wide open at f 4.0 and stays that way right through f 16.  It is a 'full frame lens, so vignette does not come into play on the crop sensor TL and CL cameras.  Color and contrast are classic Zeiss to which I am addicted.  It is manual focus - but an 18mm is in focus from 5' right out to infinity by f 5.6.  It weighs in at 320 grams which is a bit less than the Leica T 11-23 lens.  It is definitely not a put -in- your pocket kit like the Leica 18 mounted on a CL, but I don't mind that either. 

Bottom line:  great resolution and color in a wide angle prime.

Rick

Edited by RickP
  • Like 1

Leica TL2 with Zeiss 18mm f 4.0  (L/M adapter).

• Like 1

I went for the Zeiss ZM alternative to the Leica T 18.  I found an in store demo on line - like new in box -   for about $400 less than a new Leica 18 T lens.  It is a tad slower, but for a landscape lens that means little to me.  It is killer sharp right from the wide open at f 4.0 and stays that way right through f 16.  It is a 'full frame lens, so vignette does not come into play on the crop sensor TL and CL cameras.  Color and contrast are classic Zeiss to which I am addicted.  It is manual focus - but an 18mm is in focus from 5' right out to infinity by f 5.6.  It weighs in at 320 grams which is a bit less than the Leica T 11-23 lens.  It is definitely not a put -in- your pocket kit like the Leica 18 mounted on a CL/TL, but I don't mind that either. 

Bottom line:  great resolution and color in a wide angle prime.

Rick

Rick you must have big pockets :) :) that thing looks huge

Neil

Last week Classic Camera London had the 18mm in stock, FWIW.

They still have it but there online shopping doesn't include Malaysia as an option. I will buy it from B&H and have it sent to a mule (work colleague who can hand carry it to me in Nigeria)...save on shipping and taxes

I managed to get a like new Hasselblad HC300mm and HC1.7TC from my mates Hasselblad dealership in Miami and sent it to my workmates home in Alabama.........the lens and TC are with me now on the rig..........saved myself a bunch  :) :)

Neil

Rick you must have big pockets :) :) that thing looks huge

Neil

I never put my camera in a pocket.  It is actually smaller than the 35 f 1.4, the 18-56  even with the L/M adapter.

Edited by RickP