Why you should ALWAYS reset the camera after the last shoot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was using the Q for some macro photography a few days ago and forgot to reset it back to normal (automatic) settings where I normally keep it as a starting point. A big surprise showed up on our patio - A Bobcat. Dang, I was NOT ready. I grabbed the camera and started shooting and ended up quickly realizing how off my images were. I quickly reset it and followed the Bobcat around our house as he was departing quickly. Even though the Q is not a great or even a good camera for wildlife photography, I'm always looking for new ways of using it. I ended up with some blurry and out of focus shots and a few that are at least pleasant to view. This is a learning experience for me. Maybe you can benefit from my ineptitude. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Gosh, this Forum is far more educative than just photography. At first sight (from the other side of the pond, you understand) my first thought was that it was rather like our Scottish wildcat but then thanks to Wikipedia I now realise it is a different genus. My knowledge has now been expanded.

As to cautionary tales I would add to remember to always immediately reset after exposure compensation and exposure bracketing. I have sometimes been 'saved' by RAW and the exposure latitude but it is never as good as getting it right in camera first time.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A craftsman once advised, "Always zero your tools". So that is my main aim with my User Presets. Except they only cover digital settings. The Q easily catches you out when mechanically setting Macro, which I seldom use. Fortunately it is usually immediately obvious when you turn to normal ranges. Once you have made the mistake your sub-conscious mind comes to your aid when twisting that macro ring in future.

Despite your oversight, you have captured some endearing pictures of an unusual visitor.

• Like 1

Lucky to have a creature like that in the neighbourhood:  I envy you the experience.  :)

Lucky to have a creature like that in the neighbourhood:  I envy you the experience.  :)

Thanks. We’re lucky to live in a relatively rural area surrounded by surburbia. Its a sanctuary for wildlife. Over the years I’ve photographed a lot of wild animals. The two that are most rare are a mama black bear with two cubs and a Stoat, which is a short-tail weasel. Both photographed with a Canon 5D and a 70-200 mm lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!