SL2 meter reading.

Robinyuill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there. I’m trying out a SL2 and have noticed that the meter seems to be measuring appropriately 2 stops over eg F16 instead of F8. I’m comparing it to the sunny 16 rule and the meter reading on my M7.

Would the wrong battery cause this? There’s a microcell 625A in it and I’ve noticed the posts in the forum about the correct battery not being available now and the meter should be adjusted to take the different voltage of the alternative batteries now. It’s a great camera but I’ve never used one before and I’m a bit undecided on getting it. The alternative is a newer R6.2 which should not have battery difficulties I hope.

Regards Robin.

The 625A cell is an alkaline cell at 1.5 V, whereas the SL2 - if not modified - uses a 1.35 V mercury cell. So, yes, your underexposure reading (it seems to be underexposure rather than overexposure) could result from the differing voltage. The SL2 can be adjusted to work with with 1.5 V cells though. Alternatvely, you could try to compensate by readjusting your ISO value. Instead of setting it to, say, ISO 200, set it to ISO 50 (which would give you correct exposure for ISO 200, assuming the two stops underexposure you indicated above).

Cheers, Andy

As Andy says, the higher voltage of the alkaline cell could well account for this. What you have to be careful about though is not just the nominal voltage value, but the way the voltage changes as the cell discharges. These earlier meters are referenced to the actual voltage value, and so, if a cell's voltage changes, the metering will progressively go out as the cell discharges. Alkaline cells are not particularly good in this respect. One of the reasons that mercury cells were used is that their voltage remained pretty constant almost right up until they finally died, which is what you want. There are two modern cels which have this property. One is a Wein cell, which has the right voltage, but which continues to discharge even when everything is switched off, so doesn't last very long. The other is a silver technology cell, which has too high a voltage.

So you have three choices:

(1) Use a Wein cell, not cheap and replace relatively frequently

(2) Use a silver technology cell, readily available, and have the meter recalibrated

(3) You can get an adapter, the same size as the original cell, into which you can insert a smaller size silver cell, and which drops the voltage down to the lower original value required.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

There is another consideration when comparing the readings from an M7 & a Leicaflex SL2:

The M7 is reading a central area which is more or less of a circle that is approximately 2/3 of the distance, in the center of the subject, across the short side of the frame, which displays the field of coverage, of the lens in use. While:

The Leicaflex SL2 has a meter that reads within the circle of the measuring aids, in the center of the screen. Regardless of which lens is being used.

So, it is important to make sure that both of the subjects being measured are being read appropriately.    

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael,

Quite correct. When comparing meter readings of different cameras, I tend to use an evenly lit wall or a portion of the sky without any clouds (not always available  :) ) as the subject to be metered. That will minimize the influence of different meter characteristics.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and I have taken into account the different metering patterns on the M7 and SL2. I have found my old

Weston V meter so I'll try the metering out tomorrow daylight and see what happens.

If the sunlight is consistent I'll also compare with the old "sunny 16" rule. Can't go wrong with that!!

Regards Robin.

As Andy says, the higher voltage of the alkaline cell could well account for this. What you have to be careful about though is not just the nominal voltage value, but the way the voltage changes as the cell discharges. These earlier meters are referenced to the actual voltage value, and so, if a cell's voltage changes, the metering will progressively go out as the cell discharges. Alkaline cells are not particularly good in this respect. One of the reasons that mercury cells were used is that their voltage remained pretty constant almost right up until they finally died, which is what you want. There are two modern cels which have this property. One is a Wein cell, which has the right voltage, but which continues to discharge even when everything is switched off, so doesn't last very long. The other is a silver technology cell, which has too high a voltage.

So you have three choices:

(1) Use a Wein cell, not cheap and replace relatively frequently

(2) Use a silver technology cell, readily available, and have the meter recalibrated

(3) You can get an adapter, the same size as the original cell, into which you can insert a smaller size silver cell, and which drops the voltage down to the lower original value required.

Which direction is generally considered to be the best? I recent acquired a SL and a Sl-2 and both need to meter situation dealt with. I'm wondering in the case of the SL-2 about the second battery that runs the light for the finder? In terms of adjustment one could set up the meter to run on the slightly higher voltage silver cell, but how would this affect the second circuit (which I gather ties into the first in terms of the batteries)?

Which direction is generally considered to be the best? I recent acquired a SL and a Sl-2 and both need to meter situation dealt with. I'm wondering in the case of the SL-2 about the second battery that runs the light for the finder? In terms of adjustment one could set up the meter to run on the slightly higher voltage silver cell, but how would this affect the second circuit (which I gather ties into the first in terms of the batteries)?

It's a question of personal taste I suppose. I honestly don't know about the second battery. If it's the same type of cell as the first, I'd personally change them both with an adapter. Maybe Doug Herr on this forum can give a definitive ruling as to how the two circuits might be interdependent?

Hi Michael. Yes different part of the world would count. Here in Edinburgh, Scotland there’s definitely a difference in the sunny 16 rule. It’s only sunny for one or two days in the year. You have to be lucky to be around to catch them!!!

On a more serious note my local camera tech checked the meter and it’s about 1.3 stop out. He could adjust the camera meter for the new battery.

Now to decide if I really need an SL2 in addition to the M cameras I have! Regards Robin.

• Like 1

Need an SL2, no..but if you get a chance to own one in good shape at a good price...run, don't walk to get the cash. IMHO it is a terrific camera. Sorry I sold mine a few years ago, loved that camera...built like a tank and extremely reliable. I liked it better than my Standard, R3 or R8.

• Like 1

The second battery circuit in the SL2 is completely separate from the meter circuit - it just connects directly to the small bulb (not LED) through a momentary contact button switch. 

That's very helpful; it's actually what I thought, based on a friend's SL2, but I didn't know definitely. Many thanks.

The second battery circuit in the SL2 is completely separate from the meter circuit - it just connects directly to the small bulb (not LED) through a momentary contact button switch. 

I recall reading somewhere that the second battery could support the one for the meter. One does read things, not all of them correct, however.

Thanks for all the replies on the camera. I've had to return the camera to the dealer as there was a fault (the battery check button fell out and was lost) I was really impressed in the quality of the build etc, even with the fault, and am looking to get an SL2 in due course. The only thing worrying me is the questions in getting the cameras I fancy, SL2 or R6.2 repaired if things go wrong. I have no worries with the M cameras I have getting fixed in the future. Difficult decision. Regards Robin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

If I may make a suggestion, forget the "Wien cell", the ones I got from the USA were badly made and leaked. You can get a battery adapter from ebay (I saw 2 for $20 or so from Japan) and fit a 675 size zinc-air cell, bought from a pharmacy or such like (drugstore in the US). They should cost no more than $8 - 10 for 5, they do not last very long but provide a constant voltage similar to the mercury cell and you can calibrate the meter with them. I have calibrated an SL2 and will be publishing an article on this sometime in the next year in the Leica Society Magazine (Leica Society UK). If you're not a member perhaps it's something to consider.

11 hours ago, Dr Davidson said:

If I may make a suggestion, forget the "Wien cell", the ones I got from the USA were badly made and leaked. You can get a battery adapter from ebay (I saw 2 for $20 or so from Japan) and fit a 675 size zinc-air cell, bought from a pharmacy or such like (drugstore in the US). They should cost no more than $8 - 10 for 5, they do not last very long but provide a constant voltage similar to the mercury cell and you can calibrate the meter with them. I have calibrated an SL2 and will be publishing an article on this sometime in the next year in the Leica Society Magazine (Leica Society UK). If you're not a member perhaps it's something to consider.

But I thought a Wein cell was a zinc-air cell? Presumably therefore, the adapter to fit a 675 zinc-air is simply a passive one to sort the size difference from a 625, since the voltage would be correct already Purely personally, if I was using an adapter, I would get an active one (containing a forward biased Schottky diode to drop the voltage) and a small silver cell. That way, you get the much better life-span of a silver cell compared with a zinc-air cell (see my earlier post above).