ELMARIT-M 2,8 Good Idea, Bad Idea?

TrickyMrT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have an M10 and already some lenses, like 35 LUX, 50 APO.

Because the summer is coming, I planned to purchase a ELMARIT-M 2,8 because I have a wider focus-zone. 

My idea was outside to set it to Aperture 8 or 11 to shoot without any focusing.

Any thoughts?

Maybe some can post some example images?

Hi,

I have an M10 and already some lenses, like 35 LUX, 50 APO.

Because the summer is coming, I planned to purchase a ELMARIT-M 2,8 because I have a wider focus-zone. 

My idea was outside to set it to Aperture 8 or 11 to shoot without any focusing.

Any thoughts?

Maybe some can post some example images?

If you mean 28mm lens, it's excellent idea.

Some ideas to wider the "concept":

- I have some 28mm and each one is unique

- Summicron-M 2/28 Asph. that I used for years is nice but in use is a bit heavy with finder blocking

- then came the very nice and light Summaron-M 5.6/28 which is better in handling/using

you can see some fine photos here at some lines under this one

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265598-leica-summaron-28-just-announced-and-listed-merged/

- and I have opportunity to buy Elmarit-M 2.8/28 Asph. first version (there is newer launched some months ago)

it's the nicest 28mm to use everyday : light, small, no finder blockage, good IQ from f/2.8 with no flare at all (my Summicron has some flare)

Have a look at this thread : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/282540-28mm-elmarit-asph-or-pre-asph/

But maybe, you would love it not only for f/8 use ;).

Edited by a.noctilux

At the moment, the Elmarit 28 Asph is my most used lens on the M9, alongside the Summicron 50 (pre APO).  It's wide enough to capture scenes and context without having too much perspective distortion, and it is one of the smallest and lightest Leica lenses.  I find it great for zone focus, assuming you've got enough light or high enough ISO.  I regularly go out with just the Elmarit 28 and the Summicron 50, unless I'll be shooting at night, in which case I take a 35/1.4 or a 50/1.5 instead of the Summicron.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a big fan of the 28 Elmarit.  It's light compared to my "lux" lenses, sharp and highly resolving.  It's also the most rectilinear of my Leica M lenses.  I use the 28 whenever I'm photographing a house or interior space.  The Elmarit is also a great street lens for its field of view and weight.  

I love my 28 Elmarit. There's something quite special about it and large prints are exceptional in the way that they remind me of a mezzotint. Small details appear as almost engraved with incredibly fine lines. I know it may sound like a cliche but it really draws fabulously. It's also my most used lens.

My Elmarit 28mm is my second most used lens. It is wonderful. Light and sharp. I bought it thinking maybe I should have it... I found it on my camera way more than I expected. I assume you are fairly new to M, as I am. Shooting at f8 will work great. But the incredible value of the Leica comes from crafting all aspects of the photo. Deciding exactly how wide you want the DOF and exactly where you want the focal point to be, the light drop off. If you aren’t doing that... then you just haven’t gotten sucked in yet. You will. And when you do, you will be really happy that you bought this lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 28mm Elmarit ASPH II, such a great lens. Very sharp and has an excellent contras.

Moreover, it complements my 35mm Summicron ASPH and 50mm Summicron. I tend not to change lenses when I'm shooting, so having a "28", "35" and "50" help me focus on the lens I have for the day. 

I espouse a 28, 35, 50 combination. Because you get, "wide", "normal", "portrait" lenses which are versatile enough that you can use each lenses for a day without changing.