CL on Safari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will post pictures in the Photo forum, but given some of the early discussions about the CL and its uses, pro and con, I took the camera (and my film cameras R6.2 and M4) and the two pictures below were shot with an R 80-200 Elmarit . I had a 2XAPO extender that I didn't use all that much. I also have the 18-56 zoom that came with the camera. I a word, the camera worked out fine, working the camera becomes intuitive. BUT, one has to work the speed/ISO in A mode to bring out in exposure what you want at a rapid speed this is not a point and shoot operation. As for focusing, whether using the R lens or the kit zoom, you really have to get to 3X magnification if you want a print where the smaller parts are in focus. Otherwise you get something that is in focus in the general area but not specific enough to the one small (or not so small) animal in the distance. With the magnification you get there and the results are great. Files are not as malleable as my Q, but then again with the Q I was stuck with a 28mm lens and lugging the SL around wasn't what I wanted to do. And yes there is the Sony and Fuji but my investment is in Leica lenses and there is a lot of mixed reviews about Leica lenses on those cameras. In any event, the CL came through, was hardly fragile (I have the Leica leather case on it), even got a bit too wet at Victoria Falls but dried out in the evening and works perfectly. In the end, highly recommended for a light high-quality digital camera .... and the better the lens (brought a couple of M lenses with me just to shoot) the better the output ..... Oh yes, and the pictures were fine at 3200 and even 6400 (didn't go passed that) in the daylight -- in order to shoot at a fast enough speed and closed aperture (R lenses work best at 5.6).

Thanks to Jap for his words in private email, helped a lot in figuring what to take, how to shoot, and what to leave home ....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

and the leopard finishing his bush buck breakfast in a tree --

• Like 18

The Elephant shot has a great 3D effect.

Thanks! Your words were very helpful to me, much appreciated and I am thinking about the chimpanzee safari you mentioned at some point. Here is another elephant picture from the same moment --

• Like 7

...Files are not as malleable as my Q, but then again with the Q I was stuck with a 28mm lens and lugging the SL around wasn't what I wanted to do....

Excellent images!

The main downside with the CL compared to FF sensor(s) is exactly your comment above (not as malleable). Which again is a main difference between FF and medium format sensor(s). This means that I try to be even more accurate with the exposure on the CL compared to e.g. the SL. Particularly in difficult light. In more 'optimal' shooting conditions, the difference between CL and M/SL is remarkably minute.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Excellent images!

The main downside with the CL compared to FF sensor(s) is exactly your comment above (not as malleable). Which again is a main difference between FF and medium format sensor(s). This means that I try to be even more accurate with the exposure on the CL compared to e.g. the SL. Particularly in difficult light. In more 'optimal' shooting conditions, the difference between CL and M/SL is remarkably minute.

Thanks again!

Thanks and I agree .... I gave the SL a long thought but it is just too heavy for me for what I do .... having the CL in its leather case and an M lens on it, it really does have the feel of working with a film M, and very enjoyable. I suppose if I could sell my photos and therefore capitalize the cost of a camera I would go up a level or two, but I don't and so I won't. CL really is fun, right size and weight for me. I fully accept the limitations but, as you say and as you see, if you assume it needs a little more work to get it right in the camera, the results are great.

• Like 1