Ambro51

Do you OWN a Leitz UR Replica? Looping to complile list of production numbers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are wondering what figure eight spring we are talking about, I will show you a diagram on the internals of the UR Leica Camera. Look carefully to the right and you can see the figure eight loop mentioned above. These spring loops are very common on movie projectors. In those projectors the spring belts drive the film reels to the shutter on the projector. They work well because they damper the jerking of the film through the projection lens. The source of this diagram is a recent video by Leitz Wetzlar. Anyone knowing this reference please supply it as I cannot find it right now.

Edited by George Furst

Hi Ambro,

My UR Leica is #128 scratched into the base plate.

It is one of the many bought by Wild Leitz Australia and never marketed

properly. By the time I started working for Leitz they were selling these cameras at a great reduction.

The same thing happened with the Hologon, but that was before my time.Sigh.

Cheers

Kangaroo2012

Very Interesting Alan, as I have a mismatched camera which appears unused body serial number 13, and baseplate 22! A mismatch from birth?

Meister Camera Hamburg has a very interesting UR for sale, New condition, serial number 60, stamped on the bottom in lettered white for an award or presentation dated April 24, 1997. Interestingly, a (!) Phillips head screw is used internally to fasten the shutter button pressure fiat spring! I think it’s €695

Edited by Ambro51

I will caution anyone buying or considering a UR for simple conversion that they Check to see if the top of the sprocket shaft Has this small pully. It matches one which is at the top of the take up spool. The belt “8” loops between them. It seems production variations may include sprocket shafts without the pulley,

Edited by Ambro51

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received a text message from Peter, my very good friend, and he visited Mr Kim and he is making a conversion of an UR Dummy to Replica of UR Dummy body number 35. He is doing this for a Korean Customer who had seen my conversion sample. I had seen this Dummy listed on eBay as it had the signature of Oskar Barnack on the top plate. It is the only time that I have seen this distinctive engraving on a UR Dummy model. As for values of the Dummies, they have doubled in price since last summer. I am glad that I got into this conversion a few years ago! 

Mine has 08 or 80 on the base plate, depending on which way you read it. 

Wilson

Just checking eBay for UR Leica Dummy listings and noted the recently listed UR has number 30. It is a little difficult to read but I am pretty sure this is the number on the baseplate. Interesting one with all there but the button push is missing. Otherwise it looks in very good condition. Also the price is well below the prices of a few months ago when they went for over 1000€. It is listed at 499€ or best offer... not bad!

Posted (edited)

UR Leica Number 33 is listed on eBay presently. This adds another to our graduation projects for Leica Company mechanics in the 1970s. Price is reasonable too if bidding does not drive it up too high.

Edited by George Furst
Put in wrong number. I corrected it to right number UR.

Just came back today to your thread and verified my archives. In fact, six copies issued by Leitz came through my collection, and numbers engraved inside were 5, 9, 11, 26, 37 and 54.

Wow, we have three numbers in a row. Your 37 and the UR dummy’s at Bsndo in Seoul at 38 and 39 is well worth noting as these are early numbers and there are three consecutive numbers. Still there must be more out there. Thank you for sending in your numbers. You had quite a collection of these dummies. As an aside did you purchase them in the 1970 or 1980 s? They say the price back then was in the four digit range. Would like to confirm that they were pricy when first offered to the public.

Posted (edited)

I have #9 now, I converted it to working and it has a Zeiss Tessar.     There was an unnumbered Leitz prototype of the replica on eBay awhile back.  The camera overall was the same, but the body was left in bare aluminum.  Asking $6500....••••••••••• it does not seem at this point we can confirm the “500 built” which seems to be written as fact.   We’ve not seen duplicate numbers either, confirming these Aer production numbers Not part numbers as some have suggested.    ••••••• And again to say a working UR is the most pocketable Leica ever made!

Edited by Ambro51

I note that a UR Leica Dummy number 43 is presently listed for sale on eBay. I scanned through the above postings and do not see this number listed above. Number 13 is also listed above and is presently for sale on eBay. What I am noting is the paucity of three digit numbers. Almost all of the dummies from Wetzlar listed here have two digit serial numbers. I do not know what this means. Does anyone have an idea why there are so few three digit serial numbers listed for these UR Dummies from Leitz Wetzlar? If there were over 400 made, these three digit numbers should statistically dominate the serial numbers reported on this listing.

Well, I have Part  of #13 and part of #22 combined as one camera, so his #13 is the other half of this mixup. The answer here is simple.  The “500” number is not accurate.   I’m very surprised that these posts have not prompted an ex employee or Leica “whiz” to give us some real info.   Leica kept records.....where are they?

My Big problem with UR 80 is that the screw holding the counter dial came off and I lost the dial “somewhere” on a golf course.   I do have a small number stamp set and Can make another but haven’t tackled the task yet.  George, Did you get your Counter working?

So we presently have 25 serial numbers along with a few unnumbered.    

Recorded:

Unnumbered factory prototype,           2,5,7,9,11,13,18,22,25,26,28,32,33,35,37,38,39,43,50,54,60,80,128,186 and 206.      

Cameras converted to Working,  2,9,28,35 and 80.          

It’s interestin that a few cameras are listed by different people, who owned them at different times!   Overall it seems that survival rate is high,  but the gaps at the high end of the number range unexplainable.  The number “500 made”, it appears, is wrong.    Let’s continue to add numbers as they come to light.

Edited by Ambro51

On 11/8/2019 at 8:16 AM, Ambro51 said:

My Big problem with UR 80 is that the screw holding the counter dial came off and I lost the dial “somewhere” on a golf course.   I do have a small number stamp set and Can make another but haven’t tackled the task yet.  George, Did you get your Counter working?

Thanks for the question about the UR counter. I happen to visit Mr. Kim in Seoul last week and saw the box with all the parts of my UR, I mean all the parts spread out in this small box. The problem was evident, too many other film cameras to be repaired. I know that he had machined part of the mechanism a few months ago but that is as far as it has gotten. It was promised by October but I believe that day has passed. When done I will announce it on this forum but when that will happen, I have no idea.