Do you OWN a Leitz UR Replica? Looping to complile list of production numbers

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found inside the camera, on the baseplate. So far, I have recorded Numbers 2,25,28 and 80 . Saïd to a Total of 500, looking to conform this.

~

Do you mean the (excellent) replicas made by Alberico Arces? If so, I had no less than eight passing through my Fontenelle Collection : nº 015 (bought February 1987), 024 ("old-looking", sept. 1985), 026 (sept. 1985), 028 ("old-looking", especially produced for me with "AFI XVIII" for Associazione Fotostorica Italiana - Italian Photo-historical Association), 030 (sept. 1985), not numbered "old-looking"( Feb 1987), 031 (July 1988) and 040 ("old-looking", July 1988).

Here are some illustration of both "new" and "old-looking" samples.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Here is mine, but no numbers anywhere. including inside the baseplate and the camera. I had heard that these non-functional display cameras were built by Leitz apprentiship mechanics as part of their training.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My contribution nº.206

Edited by Leicapasion

No number on the baseplate. Inside, on the underside of the top plate is the number "7".  Maybe an early one before they started numbering the baseplate.

No number on the baseplate. Inside, on the underside of the top plate is the number "7".  Maybe an early one before they started numbering the baseplate.

attachicon.gifIMG_0449.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0450.JPG

With lenses, early ones with no serial numbers often fetch higher prices, Alan. Maybe you have hit the mother-lode for Ur Leica replicas.

William

I remember when Ffordes had quite a few of these for sale as new-old-stock (presumably they bought a job lot of them). At the time I didn't quite know what the point of them was and, although I remained vaguely interested, I passed on the opportunity. Looking at the photos in post #7 they look to be rather nicely made. Given the obvious difference (the replica missing missing the internal workings), does anyone know how close to the original is the rest of the dummy replica?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when Ffordes had quite a few of these for sale as new-old-stock (presumably they bought a job lot of them). At the time I didn't quite know what the point of them was and, although I remained vaguely interested, I passed on the opportunity. Looking at the photos in post #7 they look to be rather nicely made. Given the obvious difference (the replica missing missing the internal workings), does anyone know how close to the original is the rest of the dummy replica?

I believe the answer to the question about “how true to the original UR is the UR Dummy” is answered well in the other thread, Working UR-Leica. It appears to be an exact copy including the focus marks around the lens. The fact that the original lens type, Leitz 42mm Mikro Summar, fits perfectly into the UR housing and focuses perfectly using the above focusing marks proves the integrity of the Dummy.

But this is going off the topic of this thread. Let’s get back to the number of UR Dummies and putting their exact number of each camera forward. I think this is an important endeavor and watch with interest as they come forth.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from Seoul and found there at Bondo Camera two UR Leica Dummies. Looking inside I found the numbers 38 and 39. I was a little surprised that they are consecutive numbers but them Bondo Camera has been the official distributed of Leica in Korea for 50 years (there is no distributor in North Korea). Maybe they purchased them when they were recently issued by Wetzlar. I wish to note that back when first issued they were quite pricy and cost in the four digit range. Viewfinder had a one page article about them back in the 80s and stated this as a fact. Anyone know the citation for this article?

Just returned from Seoul and found there at Bondo Camera two UR Leica Dummies. Looking inside I found the numbers 38 and 39. I was a little surprised that they are consecutive numbers but them Bondo Camera has been the official distributed of Leica in Korea for 50 years (there is no distributor in North Korea). Maybe they purchased them when they were recently issued by Wetzlar. I wish to note that back when first issued they were quite pricy and cost in the four digit range. Viewfinder had a one page article about them back in the 80s and stated this as a fact. Anyone know the citation for this article?

1993 Vol 26, No. 4 page 62. A one page note from Randol Hooper, he notes these are likely final projects from Leitz apprentice students, and as such there was some varriation in the degree of completeness.

I will add my second UR, a purchase from Flints Auctions in the UK. It is Number 9. More complete than my other one, with an actual camera lens in place (though 50mm fl and not quite focusing) and capable of advancing Film. I’ve done some alterations, such as an additional positive meniscus lens to reduce Fl, and modifications to the limited shutter to allow half frame images. I was getting very close to operational when I had difficulties with the wire drive belt (still working on that glitch).

Here are some Leitz apprentiship students in the mechanic shop. Postwar, but  likely well before the UR replicas. Some look to be very early teen age. Photo from Leitz archives via Rolf Beck book, Die Leitz Werke, ISBN 3-89702-124-2.

• Like 1

I envy their skill and talents. These are people who spent hours positioning and installing those tiny grub screws. The UR Leica is very simple and rather basic. Number 8 here is sooooo close to film, troubled now by second failure at figure 8 wire loop spring belt that connects the takeup spindel and joins that to the main advance knob, it seems the two pulleys are the same height and the belt must ride over itself. Efforts to create the 1” loop belt from movie projector belt I have here have not been successful, tomorrow is another day Anyway here’s Number Nine

I envy their skill and talents. These are people who spent hours positioning and installing those tiny grub screws. The UR Leica is very simple and rather basic. Number 8 here is sooooo close to film, troubled now by second failure at figure 8 wire loop spring belt that connects the takeup spindel and joins that to the main advance knob, it seems the two pulleys are the same height and the belt must ride over itself. Efforts to create the 1” loop belt from movie projector belt I have here have not been successful, tomorrow is another day Anyway here’s Number Nine

This is the reason when Barnack made the Leica O, he used gears for this transfer of motion. When I showed Mr.Kim the figure eight loop used in the original UR, he scowled. An easy solution to the problem but not an elegant solution. Oskar Barnack’s future Camera designs left the figure eight loop spring behind and used gears. Look into the winding area of your screw mount Leicas and admire those four gears. They are the elegant solution to a difficult problem of having two shafts adjacent to each other move in opposite directions. With out this, the film would not be forced onto the shaft with the sprockets. Nice job Barnack!