M-A Flim Advance Lever

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I might be wrong here but I think that that there have been other threads from the OP about some "issues" that 99% of people wouldn't even notice?

Yes I noticed that too. I remember giving some advice when he posted about looking for another film M and wondering whether to buy a used M or a new M-A.....

Leica must love him though!

Edited by earleygallery

Since the OP has posted the camera in question for sale but has failed to mention any perceived "flaw" (real or otherwise) I've contacted him about updating the ad. Hopefully he will do the honorable thing and update the listing to reflect the real reason why he's selling the camera. 

Since the OP has posted the camera in question for sale but has failed to mention any perceived "flaw" (real or otherwise) I've contacted him about updating the ad. Hopefully he will do the honorable thing and update the listing to reflect the real reason why he's selling the camera. 

Fair point, but if it is a 'flaw' why dosn't he have it fixed first under warranty.

• Like 1

I completely agree with both of you and that's what I specified in my message directly to him. He says he bought it brand new from the Leica Store Miami. If he has an issue with it I don't see why he doesn't just address it with them instead of potentially passing on a problem (real or not) to a new user.

• Like 2

Just a thought to consider.

It might interest the OP that mechanics can have a characterization of 'allowance' - that is an acceptable degree of freedom which is desirable. Allowance and tolerance are not the same thing - the later is a metric with a sprcified range of deviation from the goal - tolerated, but not desirable.

An advance lever with vertical movement might be less inclined to bind in extraordinary circumstances.

I worked with a chap in the military who likely was OCD; we did not understand the condition then. His life was rather miserable, and sometimes made our lives difficult. The OP is a recognize then release case.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, thanks for all the name calling and speculation.  According to you all, a little vertical play in the film advance is normal, so therefore there is nothing wrong with the camera.  I got it as part of a TRADE with Leica Miami, and since I opened the box I cannot return it per their policy.  I have decided to sell it due to simple buyers' remorse.  I just got my M10 back from repair and have been shooting it, and I'm sick of scanning film and the lack of good home scanners.

For the record, I have not complained about insignificant issues with my cameras.  Here is a summary of my experience as a Leica customer:

M-P 240- no problems

M246- defective sensor, had to go to Leica NJ for months to have the sensor replaced.

​50mm Summilux ASPH- incorrectly calibrated floating element.  Had to be adjusted by Leica.

50 Apo- defective and had to be replaced.  Replacement was fine.

35mm Summicron Asph version 2- defective lens that was replaced by the dealer.

90mm Apo- no problems.

SL-  no problems.

M10- vertical alignment was off out of the box.  Sent it to Leica for calibration.  Was promised less than one week wait, but ended up waiting over a month.

28mm Summilux- defective out of the box.  Replaced by Leica.

CL- defective sensor, so I returned it for a refund.

35mm Summicron Asph version 1- purchased NOS from authorized dealer.  Defective aperture ring out of the box.  It's currently been at Leica for repair for a month and a half.

​Given my past experience, I think it is justifiable that I was concerned about my M-A.  You guys have convinced me that there is no issue.  If you're wondering why I have even stuck with Leica at this point, there are a few reasons.  I have a history of hand injuries and find the smaller cameras easier to work with.  When they work, the lenses are stunning.  And I have a lot of money tied up in them, so at this point it doesn't make sense to completely sell out and switch to another brand.  Where would I go?  Nikon?  They are too large and have inferior lenses.  Fuji?  Good cameras but sort of a Leica-knockoff.  My clients demand full-frame, and while I personally don't think they would ever notice the difference between modern crop sensor images and full-frame images, I don't have the luxury of telling them that they are wrong.

• Like 2

I got it as part of a TRADE with Leica Miami, and since I opened the box I cannot return it per their policy.

That policy sucks. Good luck with the most excellent M10.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by pico

Hi guys, thanks for all the name calling and speculation.  According to you all, a little vertical play in the film advance is normal, so therefore there is nothing wrong with the camera.  I got it as part of a TRADE with Leica Miami, and since I opened the box I cannot return it per their policy.  I have decided to sell it due to simple buyers' remorse.  I just got my M10 back from repair and have been shooting it, and I'm sick of scanning film and the lack of good home scanners.

For the record, I have not complained about insignificant issues with my cameras.  Here is a summary of my experience as a Leica customer:

M-P 240- no problems

M246- defective sensor, had to go to Leica NJ for months to have the sensor replaced.

​50mm Summilux ASPH- incorrectly calibrated floating element.  Had to be adjusted by Leica.

50 Apo- defective and had to be replaced.  Replacement was fine.

35mm Summicron Asph version 2- defective lens that was replaced by the dealer.

90mm Apo- no problems.

SL-  no problems.

M10- vertical alignment was off out of the box.  Sent it to Leica for calibration.  Was promised less than one week wait, but ended up waiting over a month.

28mm Summilux- defective out of the box.  Replaced by Leica.

CL- defective sensor, so I returned it for a refund.

35mm Summicron Asph version 1- purchased NOS from authorized dealer.  Defective aperture ring out of the box.  It's currently been at Leica for repair for a month and a half.

​Given my past experience, I think it is justifiable that I was concerned about my M-A.  You guys have convinced me that there is no issue.  If you're wondering why I have even stuck with Leica at this point, there are a few reasons.  I have a history of hand injuries and find the smaller cameras easier to work with.  When they work, the lenses are stunning.  And I have a lot of money tied up in them, so at this point it doesn't make sense to completely sell out and switch to another brand.  Where would I go?  Nikon?  They are too large and have inferior lenses.  Fuji?  Good cameras but sort of a Leica-knockoff.  My clients demand full-frame, and while I personally don't think they would ever notice the difference between modern crop sensor images and full-frame images, I don't have the luxury of telling them that they are wrong.

You don't need to justify your purchasing and selling decisions to anyone here but yourself.  Enjoy your photography.

You don't need to justify your purchasing and selling decisions to anyone here but yourself.  Enjoy your photography.

In the context of habitually taking up peoples time over perceived and often non-existent problems some sort of explanation is welcome from the OP. Eight faulty bits of kit out of eleven purchases puts him on the top step of the podium for being unlucky, and in the future we wouldn't want to confuse that with crying wolf would we? My two faults on new Leica equipment in over forty years is taking on a whole new meaning, spooky or what?

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

Discussing a possible fault with the camera in the forum, putting it on sale with no mention of a fault, no explanation in the advert of why it is for sale, the oddity of including a film with two exposed frames .......... if I was a potential buyer, I would be, at the least, puzzled, and most likely suspicious. I would be grateful to the person who flagged up that the actual camera discussed in the forum was now for sale.

• Like 3

There have been other threads about 'faults' from the OP to the ones above, musty smelling gear, loose lenses etc. Several threads about which 'back up' M film body to buy.....

No matter, but seemingly palming off some apparently faulty camera on the forum is a valid point to query IMHO.

The musty lens was an improperly serviced 280mm Apo f/4, with a front element that had been installed incorrectly by Leica...

The two exposed frames of film are of nothing... as you know, you have to snap a couple of shots after loading the camera to make sure the film is winding correctly. The camera is faultless ad determined by you guys... the little bit of vertical play is normal.