M-A Flim Advance Lever

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My black M-A arrived today and first thing I noticed is that the film advance lever seems flimsier than that on my M4. It can be bent up and down.  Is this normal for the M-A and MP?  I've never handled a newer Leica film M before, just the old M3's and M4's.  Otherwise it looks like a beautiful camera.

I suppose it depends upon what you mean by "bent up and down" but there is a very small amount of vertical play in the advance lever on both of my M-A bodies. I don't recall any of my previous film cameras (MP, M6TTL, M7) being noticeably different so I've never felt there is anything unusual about the M-A. Don't forget the M-A is just a variation of the MP (using virtually all the same parts) and the latter has been around now for 15 years without any complaints regarding the "flimsiness" of the film advance.

I don't wish to be overly critical here so please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like all the different threads you start are looking for problems or trying to micro-analyze every detail and find things wrong with your equipment. 

I say if it winds your film properly then just go out and shoot with it and enjoy the camera.

• Like 8

If there isn't a bit of up and down movement there is a big problem because it means the spring underneath the film wind lever has locked solid, probably jammed up with dirt or somebody has tightened it down too much and ruined the camera. LOL, seriously yes there is a spring underneath the film advance lever. And it is there to maintain an even pressure on the lever and allow a bit of mechanical 'give' so every time you press the lever up or down as you wind the film that movement isn't directly translated into the film wind gears and so to ruin them. Never ever had a film wind lever without some small up and down movement, anybody who says it is solid hold your hand up.

Edited by 250swb

I rather assumed that the OP was asking about flex in the actual lever but, no matter, he or she appears to have decided to put the camera up for sale in the classifieds (with a film still in it!). Each to their own of course but my advice would be to give the camera a bit more time. At least finish the roll of film. :)

• Like 2

I have just compared my M7 (which I am guessing uses the same advance lever as the M-A) with my M4. There is a fraction more movement on rocking the lever vertically in the extended position on the M7 than the M4. However, I would put this down to the M4's wind lever being considerably wider at its base than the M7 and therefore stiffer. The wind on on my M7 is less smooth than the M4 but this is probably due to its using steel gears than the hand lapped bronze ones in the M4, with bushed bearings on the spindles on the M4 against self bearings on the M7. As my M7 is normally used with a Motor-M, this is of no great concern to me. The joints in my right thumb do not like lever winds (or knob winds) very much on any camera. I have recently acquired a 2 speed Mooly for my older narrow body screw mount cameras and am on the look out for a Mooly-C to use on my IIIg and Ig. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just compared my M7 (which I am guessing uses the same advance lever as the M-A) with my M4. [...]

Wilson

Unlike the M7 (articulated plastic cap on advance lever) the M-A uses the all metal ‚vintage‘ type lever, reminiscent of the early M‘s. I do not own a M-A for comparison but I never felt the levers on my M3 or M7 lacking in any way.

Mathias

• Like 1

My black M-A arrived today and first thing I noticed is that the film advance lever seems flimsier than that on my M4. It can be bent up and down.  Is this normal for the M-A and MP?  I've never handled a newer Leica film M before, just the old M3's and M4's.  Otherwise it looks like a beautiful camera.

Is this why you are selling it?

I rather assumed that the OP was asking about flex in the actual lever but, no matter, he or she appears to have decided to put the camera up for sale in the classifieds (with a film still in it!). Each to their own of course but my advice would be to give the camera a bit more time. At least finish the roll of film. :)

Amazing really!!

Does it mention the 'fault'?

I seriously feel sorry for Leica - I can think of no other company that has a less informed and hopeless customer base.

I feel with that sentiment, in as far as it is a spontaneous reaction to the initial post, which exasperated me as well!

However, for the record, I would like to point out that I have ‚met‘ so many helpful and knowledgeable people in different sections of this forum, that I do see hope for Leica... Yet I would not like to be pressed into quantifying the relative proportions of the different owner/user types ;)

• Like 3

[...]

I still feel sorry for them though ;)

I cannot bring myself to feel sorry for a company that got away with such a steep price hike in recent years, whilst disregarding quality control - but that goes too far off topic :)

If you take a look at the early LTM and M3/M2 advertisments and brochures, it seems evident that Leica always lived off the well heeled amateurs that underutilized the potential of their cameras, while emphasizing their pro-level prowess.

I agree, however, that it is a sad state of affairs, that sometimes I may feel ashamed for somebody out there recognizing that I am shooting with a Leica. Such has the brand image been tainted. But then, I quickly bring myself not to care about the brand, but about the camera & lenses instead.

Kind regards

Mathias

[ @moderator: please excuse the digression! ]

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 3

Going back to the OP's question, my 2012 MP ALC with 'old style' advance lever shows minimal vertical movement (1mm or so) in the mid-stroke position.  Mind you, I have not used it for a year and in total have only put sixteen roll through it - too many film cameras!  

I'm baffled as to why anyone would buy a new M-A, immediately obsess over the film lever and then put it up for sale. Why not return it and get a refund if he's suffering from buyers remorse, unless his prodding, pulling and poking at his new toy has damaged it.

• Like 3