Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I developed 4 sheets of Ilford Delta 100 in Ilford LC29

Dev 5 mins

Stop 1 min

Fixer 5 mins

wash 10 mins

dipped in wetting agent for 10 seconds 

Hung out to dry overnight in a glass drying cabinet

Looks like there is some sort of foaming going on it the development stage............but really have no clue why

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

i had that once too, rests of liquid soap in the tank, may be.

I use  a folded " Zewa " Paper  to absorb water rests from the Film, before hanging the film for drying.

After I slide the Film trough my fingers, to get off the water. No probs since.

I’m not at home right now but my thinking is insufficient chems. From what I remember I was using 650 ml. When I get home I will confirm the volume using water and the 4 sheets of film.

Neil

Which tank did you use then?

Try this: https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/darkroom/stearman-press-sp-445-compact-4x5-film-processing-system.html

No JOBO drums for me anymore since I’ve got this one, perfect! Much more easy to load too, especially in a changing bag, because it’s flat. You couldn’t have had bubbles with this tank

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which tank did you use then?

Try this: https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/darkroom/stearman-press-sp-445-compact-4x5-film-processing-system.html

No JOBO drums for me anymore since I’ve got this one, perfect! Much more easy to load too, especially in a changing bag, because it’s flat. You couldn’t have had bubbles with this tank

ive got that tank already. And it leaks like a sive.

I like the taco method using the Paterson tank I guess I messed up on the volume of chems.

When I get home I will fill the tank with water and have 4 sheets of film in the tank along with the center column and get an accurate volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a fully functioning dark room so loading and unloading film is a breeze.

Kudos to you for using the changing bags........... I hated mine

Given how cheap LC29 is to use fill the tank nearly to the top. Also make sure you rinse it out well to remove any residue of wetting agent.

Steve.

After washing for 10 minutes. I just fill a 4x5 tray with water and a few drops of wetting agent. Drop the negs in the wetting agent solution then hang them straight up without wiping the negs or doing anything to them.

Just let them dry for a few hours and scan.

Neil

Okay so here is the issue.

The Patterson 2 reel tank holds 875 ml of chems when there is 4 sheets of 4x5 film plus center column. I tried to develop the film with 650 ml (Bloody Wally)

Anyway no harm done I will just go out and shoot some more tomorrow

Neil

ive got that tank already. And it leaks like a sive.

I like the taco method using the Paterson tank I guess I messed up on the volume of chems.

When I get home I will fill the tank with water and have 4 sheets of film in the tank along with the center column and get an accurate volume.

What’s the taco method? I use that Patterson too but only for 135mm and rollfilm.

Looks like dried out bubbles. You do not say what size the sheets are, 5x4?, too little liquid at some stage that had been shaken up too much, in which case the development/fixing may be uneven. Too much wetting agent that made too many bubbles?

You could try soaking the films again to see if the dried bubbles will go away.

Okay so here is the issue.

The Patterson 2 reel tank holds 875 ml of chems when there is 4 sheets of 4x5 film plus center column. I tried to develop the film with 650 ml (Bloody Wally)

Anyway no harm done I will just go out and shoot some more tomorrow

Neil

Don't fill it entirely to the top or you won't get the required slosh that mixes the developer during agitation, but very nearly to the top is the best bet especially if you are using a technique such as the 'taco' method (shudder).

Edited by 250swb

What’s the taco method? I use that Patterson too but only for 135mm and rollfilm.

Looks like this mate

Basically you fold the neg in half with the emulsion side facing in and hold it together with a ribber band, you can get 4 sheets of 4x5 in one tank..............works sweet when you use enough chemicals :) :) :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use 800ml of chemicals when doing 4x5 in a Patterson tank, I think 650 was probably too little.

Mike

I just developed 4 ned using 800 ml............hopefully that will do the trick :) I will find out in a few hours time

Neil

Don't fill it entirely to the top or you won't get the required slosh that mixes the developer during agitation, but very nearly to the top is the best bet especially if you are using a technique such as the 'taco' method (shudder).

Steve

I really like the taco method, hopefully I will have some nice negs later today to show off

Neil