Having troubles with Summilux-M 50mm ASPH

usm

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the stuff is back from CS:

They did a good job on the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, but I am not sure about the Summicron-M 35mm ASPH.

See attached image:

Top/Left image:  Summilux-M 50mm f 1.4

Top/Right image:  Summilux-M 50mm f 2

Bottom/Left image:  Summicron-M 35mm f 2

Bottom/Right image:  Summicron-M 35mm f 2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is this what is possible with the Summicron? 

Or should it be as sharp as the Summilux?

Can any body share a infinity shot with Summicron 35mm and Leica M 240 - wide open and f 2.8?

Thanks!

Mario

Mario, it seems you are comparing apples and oranges here. In the 50mm shots, the church clock is reproduced quite a bit larger than in the 35mm shots (due to the difference in field of view between both focal lengths when shooting from the same position), and a larger object will almost always be perceived as sharper (you can usually see more details). For a fair comparison, therefore, you should take a shot of the same object at the same size (which means you have move closer to the object when using your Summicron 35mm).

That said, my gut feeling is that the Summicron 35 asph can indeed do better than this (my own copy is razor sharp; but then, my Summicron 35mm IV is, too), and in practice should not visibly differ from the results of the Summilux 50mm asph.

Cheers, Andy

That there is more detail in the 50mm is clear - it for showing the difference between full open and 2.0.

But the Summicron should be better, or am I too picky?

Its not the last version, its from 2007. 

The lenses + camera were at the CS 3-times in 2018!

Its not the last version, its from 2007. 

My Summicron 35 asph is not the latest version either, it is the LTM special edition of the first version 35 asph made quite some years ago. I bought it so I can use it on both my LTM Leicas and my M-Leicas. It is tack sharp.

You should probably try another copy for comparison purposes, as even with Leica lenses there are certain variations in optical performance.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apple vs orange as suggested above. Do what wizard advised ("you should take a shot of the same object at the same size (which means you have move closer to the object when using your Summicron 35mm") and show us your result if you need some help. Happy snaps :)

• Like 1

Apple vs orange as suggested above. Do what wizard advised ("you should take a shot of the same object at the same size (which means you have move closer to the object when using your Summicron 35mm") and show us your result if you need some help. Happy snaps :)

Here we go:

Left: Summieren 35mm, Right: Summilux 50mm

Another one

Left: Summieren 35mm, Right: Summilux 50mm

Nothing to worry about at first glance. My own copies have more or less the same performance at full aperture at the centre of the frame but i'm used to nail focus so i don't focus at infinity in most cases. If you have an EVF i would redo the same comparos and focus on the car and the clock at the centre of the frame with 10x image magnification. This way you will be sure that your focusing technique is not the culprit.

Edit: I would not recompose after focusing so better put the car and the clock at the centre of the frame if you can.

Edited by lct

Center of first image was the "30" traffic sign, cropped to see a little bit of the fence in the background.

Center of second image was the clock in the bright sun, but I think the copper roof tells more.

I think I am ok with the result.

Thanks.

I think I am ok with the result.

Thanks.

Well, in the above shots your Summilux IS visibly better than your Summicron, there is simply more definition in the Summilux shots (and a tiny bit of softness in your Summicron's shots). Whether that is due to sample variation is another question. It could be that your Summicron is not quite reaching the true infinity position. I had that problem with a Tri-Elmar (MATE) once, all infinity shots seemed to be just a hair out of focus. After the lens was readjusted at Leica in Solms, the results were visibly better and in line with what I had expected.

Try redoing your test as lct has suggested, to eliminate focus shift as a possible cause of the slight softness.

Andy

Tools?

• Like 1