SL2 might be on it's way this year?

DanielJr

18 megapixels is totally enough for all industry.

You don't need more even you want to print picture for building. 

Sorry,  That is a bunch of horse pucky.  That is like saying all you need is a 35mm film image to suit everyone and that is far from true.  That same image produced with a 6X7CM image or even a 4X5 inch image is superior to that of the 35mm image.  The detail in a 4X5 image is far superior to that which is rendered in a 35mm image. Although it seems that we are at an impasse at present since it looks like we may be stuck at the 50 and 100 Mp range since anything higher does not seem possible.  Hassy has a 400MP unit but it is only for stationary subjects.

• Like 1

Sorry,  That is a bunch of horse pucky.  That is like saying all you need is a 35mm film image to suit everyone and that is far from true.  That same image produced with a 6X7CM image or even a 4X5 inch image is superior to that of the 35mm image.  The detail in a 4X5 image is far superior to that which is rendered in a 35mm image. Although it seems that we are at an impasse at present since it looks like we may be stuck at the 50 and 100 Mp range since anything higher does not seem possible.  Hassy has a 400MP unit but it is only for stationary subjects.

and stationery cameras ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t doubt you, but how did all this work get done 7 years ago when almost no one had access to >50 MP?

I wonder if your client could tell the difference if you up-resed an S007 file shot with Leica prime lens to 50+ MP and changed the EXIF to Hassey H5D 50c?

Or better yet, a blind print from said file s007 file?

From what I’ve seen, the S system still delivers exceptional image quality. This MP race can’t go on forever...

100% correct. My commercial images, particularly of faces, hands with jewelry etc. are no longer acceptable to the client unless at very high resolution. 50MP makes the grade, 100 preferred.

Admitted this is specialized use but you go where the work is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by paulsydaus
  • Like 1

I don't think we should get too hung up on sheer quality.

It does depend on the advertised mediums too, where the final product is client facing and on the executive who signs off on the expenses. They are getting razor sharp in assessing the returns. I have an auditor who came to assess my work during a shoot. I would say he's like a Leica forum amateur, deeply knowledgeable both in photography and the print output costs. Just happens he's also a curious board member who wants to audit costs of the company informally.

It's happening more frequently to me in a variety of ways.  :D  I think it's the iPhone effect.

Edited by lx1713

If storage is cheap enough and computing power is sufficient to make my impatience go away, I would be happy to deal with 100mp files. It would be too good a deal to say no then. And that day doesn't seem too far away.

Last time i looked lossless-compressed 14Bit Raw files for Nikon D850 [>40Mp] were round 40-45Mp mark - same as SL601 which does not offer compression.

• Like 1

If storage is cheap enough and computing power is sufficient to make my impatience go away, I would be happy to deal with 100mp files. It would be too good a deal to say no then. And that day doesn't seem too far away.

Having had the A7r and D800e, it’s not the file sizes that would bother me. More MP requires more disciplined technique for little gain (for me). In all honesty, the 18MP of my Monochrom and 24 MP of my SL and TL2 is more than sufficient. More? Fine, provided I don’t lose anything - otherwise, I hope Leica continue to make a 24MP version.

• Like 2

If the SL is like the M10, the default and only mode is lossless-compressed DNG.

I am not so sure.

Back in M240 days i could select between compressed and uncompressed Raw, difference was twice the file size, 20 or 40 Mb. This tells me SL601 files can only be uncompressed as both cameras are 24Mp.

Having had the A7r and D800e, it’s not the file sizes that would bother me. More MP requires more disciplined technique for little gain (for me). In all honesty, the 18MP of my Monochrom and 24 MP of my SL and TL2 is more than sufficient. More? Fine, provided I don’t lose anything - otherwise, I hope Leica continue to make a 24MP version.

This is not an argument right?  :) It's a very reasonable place to be. 24mp  :D

Given enough processing power and the fact that I know that down sizing is going to give me what I need, I will work accordingly for those conditions.

For example, there were situations today where I know only 8mp is needed, I didn't bother to work at 24mp shot discipline that's needed. Getting the shot at 8mp requirement  even if my camera is 100mp is a freedom. I will use as I need it, tighten up discipline when it's critical. Down sizing at 24mp to 8mp is easy on my current computer but not 100mp but if my computer has enough grunt. No problem.

• Like 1