SL2 might be on it's way this year?

DanielJr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went to the Leica store last weekend to get my hands on the TL2 to try it out against my XT20. Loved the way TL2 felt in hands but loved, even more, the SL. SL felt really good in the hands and the colors were nice. But I was deciding which one to get but the guy told me don't buy the SL now. I said I heard rumors of SL2 coming he just smiled and said: "just buy TL2 and wait to buy an SL."

I know the Leica SL team. The product is on a 4 year cycle and it’s year 2. It will be at least 2 more years assuming they are on track before you will see any changes. A lot can be improved with firmware updates too as has been the case. I have the SL. I won’t buy the TL2. Andrew

Edited by ajmarton1
  • Like 4

The SL has the best user interface of any camera I've used, not by a small amount.  Native lens availability is increasing, along with adaptation of almost every lens made.   I wouldn't hesitate to buy it despite the big financial hit when the new body is introduced, yours is the first rumor I've heard, unlike the S camera where they are plentiful.   

I know the Leica SL team. The product is on a 4 year cycle and it’s year 2. It will be at least 2 more years assuming they are on track before you will see any changes. A lot can be improved with firmware updates too as has been the case. I have the SL. I won’t buy the TL2. Andrew

It‘s year 3. The SL was introduced in October 2015. So we‘re talking 2019. My guess is Photokina 2019 but the competitive pressures may make them pull the release forward if they can. Plus, their semi supplier would like to fill all the capacity they are already adding. Maybe Nikon will take all the TowerJazz sensors before Leica gets any chance to use them in the SL2. :)

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.de/2018/02/towerjazz-updates-on-its-cis-business.html?m=1

• Like 1

The SL2 design is more elegant and on June 14th 2018 we will learn that the L-mount has more possibilities than we ever thought. 

I have to agree. Also sounds like 2019 to me which is actually perfectly fine with me.

Edited by JorisV

Dr. Andreas Kaufmann, owner of Leica, in an interview with 'Luminous Landscape' is talking about the next version of the SL being more 'elegantly' designed. Would he be discussing something 2 years away? I just don't know.

It was a passing statement. I wouldn’t read that much into it. But I’m sure they have lots of ideas for the SL2 in the works.

Or perhaps a mirrorless medium format L mount camera with a Maestro 3 processor to make full use of the S adaptor and the wonderful S lenses...

It might even explain why the SL lenses are so large, given that even the odd M lens covers the sensor of the Hasselblad according to Ming. https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/03/17/leica-m-mount-lenses-on-the-x1d/

• Like 1

SL2 WAY down the pike. Don't wait for it. Ditto S(008). Great cameras, but waiting for them is insane. Take pics with what you have, for God's sake!! If your pic sucks at 24/37.5 mp, then it sucks at ANY resolution. If you MUST have 100MP, then your choices are clear - and  are  NOT LEICA!!

Best,

Matt

• Like 2

Or perhaps a mirrorless medium format L mount camera with a Maestro 3 processor to make full use of the S adaptor and the wonderful S lenses...

It might even explain why the SL lenses are so large, given that even the odd M lens covers the sensor of the Hasselblad according to Ming. https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/03/17/leica-m-mount-lenses-on-the-x1d/

I’m starting to think that you are probably right. When Andreas Kaufmann says “there is more potential for this mount” he could mean a larger sensor. We’ll know by June. For those thinking about getting the X1D, I would hold off for a couple of months.