MF Auto Image magnification

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All

The MF Assist setting of Auto Image Magnification - what is it supposed to do, exactly? According to the manual, it's suppose to magnify a central section of the image...maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any difference in the viewfinder when I turn it on or off. Is this something specific to Leica codes lenses? (I'm using a Voightlander 35mm 1.4) Perhaps I'm missing something?

thanks,

Michael

What I meant was, I am using the Leica M adapter L - but the lens I'm using is Voighlander, not Leica. I wasn't sure if that made any difference, since the Voightlander isn't coded and it's listed as "unknown lens"

Edit: Also - my curiosity is around the menu setting - the magnification using the scroll wheel works just fine. It appears the menu setting doesn't do anything (with my setup)

Auto image magnification doesn't work with M lenses. Manual image magnification requires either Leica M-Adapter L or Leica M-Adapter T. 

Edited by mikbau

The auto focus magnification will only do something if an electronically controlled lens is installed and is operating in manual focus.  It won't work automatically for a manual focus lens.  The reason is that with an electronically controlled lens you are using the two wheels already for exposure controls, so the focus aids have to be called into action automatically, or by pressing the up/down arrow buttons.  Once focus magnification is happening with an L lens, you can change from X3 to X6 and back again by pressing the center button.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Scott - that's what I was looking for. It wasn't clear what it was supposed to do (or how) after reading the manual

Michael

The auto focus magnification will only do something if an electronically controlled lens is installed and is operating in manual focus.  It won't work automatically for a manual focus lens.  The reason is that with an electronically controlled lens you are using the two wheels already for exposure controls, so the focus aids have to be called into action automatically, or by pressing the up/down arrow buttons.  Once focus magnification is happening with an L lens, you can change from X3 to X6 and back again by pressing the center button.

What I meant was, I am using the Leica M adapter L - but the lens I'm using is Voighlander, not Leica. I wasn't sure if that made any difference, since the Voightlander isn't coded and it's listed as "unknown lens" [...]

Makes no difference re manual image magnification. I can trigger the latter with the right wheel of the CL whatever M lens i'm using, Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander or Minolta, be them coded or "unknown". I just need a Leica M - Adapter L or Leica M - Adapter T since manual image magnification works only with those adapters. But auto image magnification will work with none of them on the CL. M bodies are required for that.

Right - yeah - I know - I was just trying to sort out what the Auto Magnification menu item was supposed to do, as it didn't seem to do anything set to on or off - it sounds like it does work, but you need to have an electronically controlled lens (which I don't have) The wheel magnification works just fine

Michael

Makes no difference re manual image magnification. I can trigger the latter with the right wheel of the CL whatever M lens i'm using, Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander or Minolta, be them coded or "unknown". I just need a Leica M - Adapter L or Leica M - Adapter T since manual image magnification works only with those adapters. But auto image magnification will work with none of them on the CL. M bodies are required for that.