What is your favorite lens on your CL

I just put up an 55-135 at full extension shot on the image thread.  If you click the link to the full resolution panorama, it's a pretty good test of the lens, even in a merged panorama.  Five years ago, I was doing that sort of shot with the APO-Telyt 135.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Am I alone in disliking zooms - I shall not have one on my CL.

I generally prefer primes as well since I tend to take better pictures if I am forced to think about what I'm doing and what I want rather than simply reacting to what's in front of me and twisting a zoom ring.  That being said, there are zooms I wouldn't part with on a bet.  The 11-23 in particular is absolutely fantastic.  You may be giving up a little bit in terms of speed and compactness if you compare it to, for example, the 23mm Summicron prime, but you are actually gaining image quality.  It's that good.  Likewise, while the 18-56 may be be the absolutely best lens in the format, if I could only take one lens on a trip, as the original poster proposed at the beginning of this thread, there is no question that I could get more interesting shots with the 18-56 than I could with any other single lens in the TL/CL lineup.  Good for street.  Decent for architecture.  Decent for environmental portraits.  Decent for landscape.  Zooms are too flexible to give up on altogether, though I generally prefer primes for most purposes.

I guess it's about speed then.

Yeah, I think primes are generally faster than their zoom counterpoints, though you could probably find a few counter examples.  However, since the advent of molded aspheres and the improvements in coatings that allow upwards of fifteen elements to be included in a lens with comparatively few contrast or flare problems, zooms need not take a back seat optically.  I know there are people out there who think, "the fewer the glass elements the better" with regard to image quality and, in particular, microcontrast, but I just don't think it's that simple.  I find much bigger differences in lens performance from other factors.  

I generally prefer primes as well since I tend to take better pictures if I am forced to think about what I'm doing and what I want rather than simply reacting to what's in front of me and twisting a zoom ring.  That being said, there are zooms I wouldn't part with on a bet.  The 11-23 in particular is absolutely fantastic.  You may be giving up a little bit in terms of speed and compactness if you compare it to, for example, the 23mm Summicron prime, but you are actually gaining image quality.  It's that good.  Likewise, while the 18-56 may be be the absolutely best lens in the format, if I could only take one lens on a trip, as the original poster proposed at the beginning of this thread, there is no question that I could get more interesting shots with the 18-56 than I could with any other single lens in the TL/CL lineup.  Good for street.  Decent for architecture.  Decent for environmental portraits.  Decent for landscape.  Zooms are too flexible to give up on altogether, though I generally prefer primes for most purposes.

I have to pack for a trip next week to good landscape country where I hope some flowers are coming out.  I'm thinking of taking the 11-23, the 35, the 60, and an M10 with the 28/2.8 v2 as "backup."  There are two of us that might use the cameras.  And my reasoning is that each of those lenses can with luck provide exceptional images.

I have to pack for a trip next week to good landscape country where I hope some flowers are coming out.  I'm thinking of taking the 11-23, the 35, the 60, and an M10 with the 28/2.8 v2 as "backup."  There are two of us that might use the cameras.  And my reasoning is that each of those lenses can with luck provide exceptional images.

Sounds like a reasonable choice.  The 11-23 is a fantastic lens for landscapes.  The 60 will let you do macros if you are lucky with the flowers. And the 35 will be great for anything not covered by the zoom and the macro (like pictures of your fellow photographer struggling with the gestalt of a rangefinder).  Enjoy!

Sounds like a reasonable choice.  The 11-23 is a fantastic lens for landscapes.  The 60 will let you do macros if you are lucky with the flowers. And the 35 will be great for anything not covered by the zoom and the macro (like pictures of your fellow photographer struggling with the gestalt of a rangefinder).  Enjoy!

The fellow photographer (son Tom) has been using my Leicas since he was 6.  He also is one of the few people I have seen that can compose a shot with the XPan.  He'll do OK.  In fact, I may end up using the M10.  I'm also curious to see how well the 60 will do with distant scenery (if the weather gives us any).

The fellow photographer (son Tom) has been using my Leicas since he was 6.  He also is one of the few people I have seen that can compose a shot with the XPan.  He'll do OK.  In fact, I may end up using the M10.  I'm also curious to see how well the 60 will do with distant scenery (if the weather gives us any).

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!  Composing with the XPan--now that's a challenge.  I'm sure your son will do great.  Obviously, I was just joking about the difficulties of focusing a rangefinder.  It's often troublesome for people who grew up on autofocus, but nothing a little practice can't address.  Sounds like Tom has ample experience. 

• Like 1

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!  Composing with the XPan--now that's a challenge.  I'm sure your son will do great.  Obviously, I was just joking about the difficulties of focusing a rangefinder.  It's often troublesome for people who grew up on autofocus, but nothing a little practice can't address.  Sounds like Tom has ample experience. 

At some point I have sent each of our kids off to a summer film class with my M2.  The instructor one time was horrified.  She wasn't sure that he could participate in the class without a built-in exposure meter, because she certainly wasn't going to teach THAT!  But a "sunny 16" explanation and an hour of walking around outside with the camera and a Ricoh GR-D and they were calibrated enough.

• Like 1

I use TL2 but lenses are the same :) 

I don't even own 23 Summicron but it would be my pick! It's a perfect one-lens setup for me. Small, great IQ, incredibly versatile, fast AF and it's bokehable.

Second best - 35 Summilux. Bigger, less versatile, slowish AF, great IQ, no distortions and highly bokehable for APS-C

• Like 2