The Wizard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi I am new to the group. Just received my M8 in the mail from Arlington Camera it is like brand new. Guy who owned it decided to not go into the M system and put it away for a long while.

Any way I have been following your conversations about the IR filters and I am still not clear if leaving it on for black and white might be conterproductive to getting the signature ccd look ron the m8?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the UV/IR Cut filters? If so, I don't see any detrimental effects when these are used on my M 8.2 --although some claim that the UV/IR filters result in a decrease in overall image sharpness. If you intend to use any of these as color images, then you'll likely want to use the UV/IR Cut filters to assure a better color balance.

Of course, others results may vary.

TR

It is personal. Instead of asking how to copy some hype, try it by yourself without filter and then with filter. I did and didn't find anything good, with or without filter. It was just different from some other cameras. :) 

Obviously skip the filter and go out and shoot. 

In 2 weeks time you will realize you don't need the filter and all this filter talk is a waste of time. 

If you are getting an M8 in 2018 is clearly for other reasons than its color reproduction lol. 

Switch that bad boy to BW Jpg and Raw Tiff and enjoy the trip. 

There is nothing a 1 minute photoshop session couldn't fix on the shots without the filter. If any needed that is. 

Don't stress. 

Congrats on the new purchase. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are you talking about the UV/IR Cut filters? If so, I don't see any detrimental effects when these are used on my M 8.2 --although some claim that the UV/IR filters result in a decrease in overall image sharpness. If you intend to use any of these as color images, then you'll likely want to use the UV/IR Cut filters to assure a better color balance.

Of course, others results may vary.

TR

I just figured that since the internal IR Filter renders certain colors purple or maybe other colors different then with a regular interactive IR filter that maybe by putting another IR reduction filter on the end.of the lens.ypuight lose that famous m8 look. But I might be over thinking it. Maybe the look comes from the Kodak CCD sensor no matter what.

It is personal. Instead of asking how to copy some hype, try it by yourself without filter and then with filter. I did and didn't find anything good, with or without filter. It was just different from some other cameras. :)

Thank you great idea. Just do a side by side comparison. Just a personal preference in the end.

Obviously skip the filter and go out and shoot.

In 2 weeks time you will realize you don't need the filter and all this filter talk is a waste of time.

If you are getting an M8 in 2018 is clearly for other reasons than its color reproduction lol.

Switch that bad boy to BW Jpg and Raw Tiff and enjoy the trip.

There is nothing a 1 minute photoshop session couldn't fix on the shots without the filter. If any needed that is.

Don't stress.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Thanks for the tip. I always here whatever you do don't jpeg you lose a lot from not shooting raw. But I bought this for B&W so what the he'll right? I usually don't print past 11x14 any way. Spring is here time to hit the streets

Bottom line in my experience is that the UV/IR Cut filters are necessary for color, no LR actions completely correct the colors. I too intended the M8 for B&W shooting only and indeed the "look" is a bit different with/without the filter. You may prefer it one way or the other. There's a small theoretical loss of sharpness *without* the filter, since most lenses will focus UV and IR to different points than visible light... when you filter those light frequencies out, you're in the lens's main focusing wavelengths.

The M8 B&W experience taught me that I'm a color photographer, a valuable lesson. And then I thought I could get away without using the Cut filters for color. Traveled to Malta and Sicily with the M8 plain, and found that shunning the UV/IR Cut filters had been a mistake. I became a believer, and also got my lenses coded too. DAG does a fine professional job of that at modest expense. After 10 years, I still use both my M8 cameras happily, though not exclusively. Fine cameras... :)

Doug

Edited by Dougg