M lens caps

HeliFish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using Leicas for over 60 years – M3 bought in Aden when things were duty free there, M6 TTL (I still have both those), an M9 which was exchanged for an M262. Never have I had such an irritating thing as the current snap-on lens caps for the 50mm Summicron. I go through these like the proverbial… The mountains are littered with my lens caps which fall off with the slightest brush. Why can't Leica produce a rubber cap like the 35mm Summicron that fits on the lens hood, or even revert to older models? Does anyone else share my frustration?

You could always buy one of those cords that attach to the cap and camera or lens by way of sticky tape? I usually put the cap in my pocket when I am hiking or walking.

I know, but then the thing hangs down and dangles about in the wind! The old ones used to stay in place until deliberately removed and put in pocket. I just think it's a cheap effort for a very expensive camera.

If you adopt the “camera out of bag = lens cap in bag” rule then there isn’t a problem.

That's if you carry your camera in a bag. Try hiking with a bulky bag. In any case these lens caps often come off as you draw the camera out of the bag if you use one.

Rubber hood caps for Summicron 35/2 asph or Elmarit 28/2.8 asph are easy to loose as well, so much so that i never use them out of my bags. Anyway, you may wish to try a Kaiser 40mm lens cap if you use a filter. See:

Thanks, that's a useful source of information. I'm glad to see that many others have the same problem and that I'm not a complete clown.

Snap-on plastic caps from eBay: they come in virtually all sizes and cost less than 1$ each.

Buy a bunch and stop worrying about loosing them. Works for me. FWIW, I like the center-pinch ones.

The most surprising thing is that I don't seem to loose them anymore - a better design perhaps?

I buy metal screw-on caps for my favorite lenses. Taking the caps off takes longer than the pinch plastic or friction fit ones, and I deliberately put the cap in my pocket while shooting. I've had too pinch ones or friction held ones fall off at inopportune times or get lost.

On the lens cap subject, does anyone know if any of the chrome metal Leica embossed lens caps will fit the 50mm Summilux III with built in hood. I have the 1999 satin chrome special edition LTM version of this and often use it on my various chrome Barnack LTM cameras. The cheap clip in black plastic lens cap looks totally out of keeping. I had the same problem with one of the other 1999 special edition LTM lenses, the 50 Summicron also in satin chrome. I found that the well-made metal hood from the 50 APO Summicron fits. Sadly Leica had run out of chrome ones, so I have bought black. Once I get back down to France, I will use the air-brush I have there, to spray it with Tamiya satin chrome enamel paint. This is remarkably good and virtually indistinguishable from real satin chrome. I have used it on Thumbies. I would like to get a similar quality hood for the Summilux III. 

Wilson

Lens caps are old hat. They were essential for plate camera work. They were the shutter.

Nowadays you can use clingfilm and kill turtles (er um) or use nothing at all and give the lens a wipe with a microfibre cloth made of fine plastic to kill sea life (er um) or a paper bag.

Yes, an old paper bag is as good as a lens hood and you can write anything you want on the front. No need for a manufacturer's name, or to protect your investment you could write "Kodak Brownie" and only get accosted by 70 year old muggers.

:rolleyes:

Lens caps are old hat. They were essential for plate camera work. They were the shutter.

:rolleyes:

Download manual and read first paragraph of recently made film Leica. You will find what Leica still recommends lens cap. For the reason not to just have logo on it.

Have you seen resent Leica lens cap, BTW? It is not your regular Canonikon cap with screaming brand name white on black. 

https://www.adorama.com/l/Lenses/Lens-Accessories/Lens-Caps-and-Lens-Hoods/Leica~Lens-Caps

• Like 1