Herr Barnack

Thank you Thorsten. Hit all the suggestions I made in my earlier post and the forum responded as I thought it would. Well done! Takes a big man to do what you did.

Refering to

Is this how life is on the German side of the Forum?

Seriously?

I have to ask here: Is this how life is on the international side of the forum? Seriously?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would not describe myself as a cynic, yet it is no mean feat by TO to condense one week of „research“ into 24 hours (compare his two posts)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/283052-luxury-camera-bags-by-thorsten-von-overgaard/page-23?do=findComment&comment=3490598

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/283052-luxury-camera-bags-by-thorsten-von-overgaard/?p=3489798

The spin doctor ate some chalk after he estimated Little Red Riding Hood to be gullible. The 180 degree backflip to the elephant fostering is a bit too rich, but he even got away with that. Cold hearted publicity ploy. He is a marketing pro.

However, I am happy to concede that the elephants at hand might not care too much about the motives for which they are NOT being poached. So all is well that ends well, with a sour taste in my mouth.

• Like 8

And did you all order the 90%-Sale-products to safe the elephants and the image of TvO?

I think it's just a good thing that we recognise and accept that Thorsten has taken a big step in the right direction. Hopefully encouragement will help more steps to be taken. (and no I don't mean encouragement by buy any of his offerings).

Such mastery of spin deserves a place on the White House communications team - there is a vacancy at the moment...

Putting cynicism aside for the moment, at least the organisations directly involved at the 'coal face' in trying to preserve the species are benefiting.

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 7

It will be interesting to see whether the „designer“ of the „von“-bags will cease his promotion of the product. His website still shows it - together with some Leica equipment.

Perhaps we‘ll see a Barnack-Leica on these pictures in the near future.

It will be interesting to see whether the „designer“ of the „von“-bags will cease his promotion of the product. His website still shows it - together with some Leica equipment.

Perhaps we‘ll see a Barnack-Leica on these pictures in the near future.

It's not the production of the bags that is the issue. They can produce the bags out old toilet paper and sell them for a million for all I care. It's the materials they are made out from that are the issue. It would seem that we unanimously object to elephant skin being used - even if they believe it's legal. Personally I also object to the crocodile and alligator skins being use too.

• Like 6

Thorsten saw his reputation, and possibly business, going down the pan; so like any good marketeer he did a backflip and in a matter of days changed his opinion from being a supporter of the use of elephant hide to thinking it’s very wrong. Colour me cynical, but I don’t buy it. I’m sure the elephants will grateful whatever the reason for the change.

• Like 10

t would seem that we unanimously object to elephant skin being used - even if they believe it's legal. Personally I also object to the crocodile and alligator skins being use too.

Yes, it's been quite interesting to see that most of the objection seems to just come down to the question of whether a species is endangered or not. IMO there still seems to be an unwillingness to transfer this concern for headline large fauna to wider ecological concerns and, in particular, the more pressing problem of massive rates of extinction in invertebrates and plantlife that is taking place. Whilst factory farming alligators and crocodiles for their skin may seem ethical to many – and it may or may not have any direct ecological impact (though I doubt that) – it strikes me as an unpleasant symbol of mankind's attitude to the natural world.

• Like 8

@ ianman

That‘s what I am saying. it was only on one website where the bag was promoted as elephant leather - from naturally deceased animals with complete certificates of the leagality of its origin and funding reserves in Zimbabwe, all done after research for more than a year, whilst any criticism here was ignoring the facts.

The other website with the same bags and the same Leica equipment doesn‘t tell the stories. It just adresses a clientele of „fashion elite whose desire for truly one-of-a-kind style and private, individualized service is of paramount importance. And where cost is far from the object.“

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

Thorsten saw his reputation, and possibly business, going down the pan; so like any good marketeer he did a backflip and in a matter of days changed his opinion from being a supporter of the use of elephant hide to thinking it’s very wrong. Colour me cynical, but I don’t buy it. I’m sure the elephants will grateful whatever the reason for the change.

I understand why some of us - many of us - are cynical. But I believe that what is most important here are the outcome regarding the elephant skin trade and, not in a little way, it shows us that we can make things change when we work together. In relation to those points, Thorsten reasons or reasoning are much less important IMHO.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 6

Indeed. Nor do I get the "backflip" of the forum consensus within this thread. At one point it seemed that Thorsten was being reputationally lynched (including having had his religion and wife dragged into the virtual flogging – quite wrongly IMO), now it seems he is ready to be declared as one of the great conservationists of our time. It seems that the forum has to swing widely from one position to the next rather than take a reasonable, if hard nosed, position on something. Maybe that's the nature of modern debate?

• Like 7

What outcome did those taking a cynical stand want from this?

Total destruction of Thorsten perhaps?

Why does the debate have to be couched in such ludicrously extreme terms? Maybe some in the thread would have just liked an apology for being referred to as ignorant?

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

What outcome did those taking a cynical stand want from this?

Total destruction of Thorsten perhaps?

BS. Sorry.

It is just that some of us reserve the right no not join the song and dance brigade...

I would appreciate if our stance was not coined „cynical“, as hard as I try not to denounce the other stance as „naïve“.

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

Indeed. Nor do I get the "backflip" of the forum consensus within this thread. At one point it seemed that Thorsten was being reputationally lynched (including having had his religion and wife dragged into the virtual flogging – quite wrongly IMO), now it seems he is ready to be declared as one of the great conservationists of our time. It seems that the forum has to swing widely from one position to the next rather than take a reasonable, if hard nosed, position on something. Maybe that's the nature of modern debate?

As I wrote above, I believe that his change of attitude is to be encouraged rather than to be greeted with cynicism and disdain.

However I agree very much with your point that there should not be a mob lynching. At one point I wrote about my brief encounter with him where he came across as a decent, understanding person.

I don't really care if it took him a day, a week or a year to do "his research". I'm not even sure his reasons are that important - that is a question for his conscience. It's the outcome that is is important, and that should be celebrated.

• Like 1