Herr Barnack

TO seems to have taken down the video and references to elephants on his website.

If I'm correct, it is still on his website.

I checked it 2 minutes ago and this is what you see there.

So no reason to applaud!!!

John

Yes no real change, just that the video has gone. The bags in your choice of animal are still very much up there (just that he's removed references to elephants but shows the bag, and mentions alligator and croc(odile).

Edited by earleygallery

Let's not drag religion into this. Posts deleted. (some as follow-up)

Accordingly article 9 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), religion is a human right. Let’s respect that for once and all.

Doesn't mean that he will stop selling elephant skin bags though...

I would really like to see him state publicly that this is the case, not just go silent on the issue by changing his website.

Any statement should include his Italian friend too. Otherwise it would make no difference, they will just sell the bags through another channel.

Edited by ianman

I think we need to recognise the magnitude of the decision we are expecting/hopeing Thorsten will make, which will take some deliberation on his part to see if this concern 'goes away'. Given usual mark-ups, there must be at least $20000 per bag profit on the $40000 version for the retailer after the makers profit. Moving the product onto effectively a "Full details on request" basis does nothing to address issue.

If I'm correct, it is still on his website.

I checked it 2 minutes ago and this is what you see there.

So no reason to applaud!!!

Sorry, this is not correct. He has removed all references to "elephant skin" (a simple search on the page tells me that) and has removed the photos of the bags in elephant skin. Let's try to be fair.

Edit: woops, sorry, I hadn't read the follow up posts !

Edited by ianman

Sorry, this is not correct. He has removed all references to "elephant skin" (a simple search on the page tells me that) and has removed the photos of the bags in elephant skin. Let's try to be fair.

To be fair, has he responded about what he intends to do regarding the sale of his bags? I have not seen anything unless I missed a post.

Thorsten von Overgaard and Matteo Perin join forces to offer us the ultimate in luxury camera bags:

Thoughts?

I saw the video on you tube and he says that someone approached him to design them. Really?. They look kind of weird to me and not too functional. This guys seems to reek of wealth. Must be nice

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Let's not drag religion into this. Posts deleted. (some as follow-up)

I found the now deleted post very insightful since it simply showed how things are connected and the likely money trail here. I didn't feel that religion or personal religious views were dragged into this at all. 

Edit: woops, sorry, I hadn't read the follow up posts !

Removing all references to "elephant skin" and removing the photos of the bags is worlds apart from actually not selling them any more and issuing a mea culpa for a monumentally poor decision.

And yes, by all means - let's be fair to everyone involved.

Including the crocodiles.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I hope he stopped producing and selling these bags... Question : has Hermès stopped producing bags made from elephant or crocodile skins? In the 80s they were producing bags from safari hunted elephants if this story is true : https://www.thecut.com/2017/07/janefinds-sells-the-worlds-most-expensive-herms-bags.html.

They continue to produce crocodile and aligators bag : http://blog.madisonavenuecouture.com/hermes-exotic-skin-bags-and-accessories/.

We need to look at this issue in a more holistic approach and change our relationship with nature - if we don’t we will become the next endengenred specie.

Removing all references to "elephant skin" and removing the photos of the bags is worlds apart from actually not selling them any more and issuing a mea culpa for a monumentally poor decision.

Agreed, as written in my previous post.

Including the crocodiles.

Agreed, as written in my first post on the subject.

I found the now deleted post very insightful since it simply showed how things are connected and the likely money trail here. I didn't feel that religion or personal religious views were dragged into this at all. 

Not disputing the insight, but keeping the thread on track.

It is not enough indeed. Time to defend deers, calfs and "crocs" now. What about nailing the Von to the wall? I mean the bag of course... 

My position on this is fairly uncluttered:  Any animal that is listed as a threatened or endangered species should not be hunted or otherwise killed - period.

One lone exception:  If an animal of one of these categories is afflicted with an illness or injury from which they will not recover - naturally or by medical intervention - euthanize it as quickly and painlessly as possible to end its suffering. 

And don't sell off its body parts or make supposed "luxury" bags from its hide.

I cannot see how those provisions would be too onerous and burdensome for anyone who has any semblance of a conscience.

Edited by Herr Barnack