R-Adapter M

Nordvik

Would more MP give the same or better result with 3,4/180 alone than a 3,4/180 + 2 x APO Extender with less MP?

180APO3.4 resolves 24mp APS-C sensor therefore I am sure it will be fine on hypothetical 36mp M or SL. I do like using it without 2XAPO most of the time since it is much easier to focus and is brighter (f/3.4), and CA is well controlled, balances well.. etc. etc.

If I need the reach then crop of 260mm equiv is still 6mp size which prints beautifully to A4 size. I will say that if your need is not to print bigger than A4 then 180APO3.4 alone is plenty even now at 24mp FF sensor.

If an adapter causes lenses to focus past infinity it means the adapter is too shallow, and thus would compromise the near-focus limit.  That would be the real problem. 

That said I have both the Novoflex and (modern) Leica R-M adapters and neither of them has this problem.  The only problem I have is with my V-mount 400/6.8 with V-R adapter on top of the Leica R-M adapter.  Due to an internal baffle, that adapter causes physical vignetting in the corners with that lens.  The Novoflex does not, so I have it dedicated to that lens. 

• 1 month later...

I bought myself an R-adapter. Now I need a R lens. It is the wrong way around. Should have started with a R lens and then bought an adapter. Compared with my first SLR the M10 with adapter is heavy.

I think that 3,4/180 APO-Telyt is the best buy of R-lenses. Any other suggestions?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think that 3,4/180 APO-Telyt is the best buy of R-lenses. Any other suggestions?

Among affordable Leica R lenses i would indeed choose an Apo-Telyt-R 180/3.4 (11242) to begin with or a Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 (11212). Also a Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4 (11277). One of my favorite 90mm ever is not expensive either the Summicron-R 90/2 pre-apo (11219).

Agree the 35-70 f4 is a fine optic but I find it somewhat hard to focus quickly, not because of a lack of sharpness, but the DOF of the relatively slow aperture in these focal lengths just makes it difficult to find optimal focus wither with the Visoflex on the M10 or on a Sony A7. It’s better suited to the Sony than the M10, where this is the optimal range for the OVF.

I’ve taken to just carrying a proper 35 and a 50 (or 75) instead on the M10. Plenty of small, high-quality choices.

Among affordable Leica R lenses i would indeed choose an Apo-Telyt-R 180/3.4 (11242) to begin with or a Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 (11212). Also a Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4 (11277). One of my favorite 90mm ever is not expensive either the Summicron-R 90/2 pre-apo (11219).

Edited by mdemeyer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I borrowed a box full of Nikkor lenses. The only interesting one was Micro-Nikkor 55/2,8. I still have that lens as a long time borrowing. I like it a lot. Is the Macro-Elmarit-R 2,8/60 any better?

I borrowed a box full of Nikkor lenses. The only interesting one was Micro-Nikkor 55/2,8. I still have that lens as a long time borrowing. I like it a lot. Is the Macro-Elmarit-R 2,8/60 any better?

I have no experience with this Nikkor sorry.

Which ones were in the box?

I used Nikon exclusively for 20 years. At one time or another I owned about 20 different AIS lenses (Nikon, Voigtländer and Zeiss) ranging in focal length from 8mm to 180.

Edited by james.liam

Which ones were in the box?

I used Nikon exclusively for 20 years. At one time or another I owned about 20 different AIS lenses (Nikon, Voigtländer and Zeiss) ranging in focal length from 8mm to 180.

24/2 (I think), 35/2, 55/2,8, 100/2,8, 300/4,5

I was not impressed with any of the other lenses. The 100mm is an E-series and it was damaged, but I was expecting more from the 24mm and 35mm. I do not have anything to compare the 300mm with.

24/2 (I think), 35/2, 55/2,8, 100/2,8, 300/4,5

I was not impressed with any of the other lenses. The 100mm is an E-series and it was damaged, but I was expecting more from the 24mm and 35mm. I do not have anything to compare the 300mm with.

Indeed, the 24/2 was one of their worst wide angle lenses. The 35/2 is decent performer and the 100 E is pretty good but yours' is damaged. The 55/2.8 Macro is fine as well, but if I recall correctly had leaking lubrication issues.

With the 300, three manual focus versions exist. The H, a relic of the 1960's and mediocre by modern standards. This was followed by an ED version and then the ED-IF; the earlier ED model was made in very limited numbers and superior to the later iteration.

Very sought after so you ought to clarify which one you have.

According to Roland Vink's respected Nikon lens database, the preferred version encompasses serial numbers 173111-173998 in K (non-AI) mount and 190006-190446 in AI mount. 

Edited by james.liam

I know about that link. Here is another one: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

Mine is an ED-IF. I took this picture to demonstrate that the Leica tripod could hold such a large lens.

When I was a young kid/teenager in the eighties Nikon was the dream camera.

I found this catalog when I was looking for a Leica R catalog earlier this week (never throw anything away).

• Like 1

Impressed the tripod head is able to handle it.

Ah, the F3!

The problem with the Leica ballhead is that it is either on or off when adjusting it. Other than that it is very good. I used a bigger ballhead when testing the 300mm Nikkor.

I have an m240 and the adapter to take R lenses and looking for a 135. I won’t use this focal length to often but debating on the 135 3.4 APO, designed for the M or the R 135 2.8.

Thoughts on the 135 2.8

When I was a young kid/teenager in the eighties Nikon was the dream camera.

I found this catalog when I was looking for a Leica R catalog earlier this week (never throw anything away).

I was given an F3 for my 21st in 1983 (replaced an FM and Nikkormat). In 1985 I changed it for an F3/T (champagne) which with 24-105mm prime AI-s lenses lasted me until I changed over to Leica in 2010. The F3/T was (is) a fantastic system camera, did anything asked of it, reliable and indestructible, excellent light meter which was accurate way beyond its EV range for exceptionally long exposures, great choice of focusing screens (let me focus instantly on any part of the image without recomopsing,and 100% VF coverage!

IWhen I saw the dramatic improvement in IQ with the Leica lenses, and that I preferred a RF, that I sold it off - with quite mixed feelings I might add.