M10 with 28mm Lux

Ashkanani1985

Thanx everybody for your input 

the Lux is heavy beast and I can't deny that I love everything about this lens but I keep reminding myself why did I switch from DSLR to Rangefinder and that because of wight and portability, I can carry 28 cron and 15 Voigtländer and both of them will be same wight of Lux alone! 

the other concern is that Lux is meant to be used wide open its the best at 1.4 but not the best at f2 and above, as one mentioned here in this topic that Summicron lenses  are optically perfect and looking at the MTF from Leica for both Cron and Lux its look like the Cron is nothing but perfect specially in distortion and corners sharpness.

so now I am having bad time deciding between the two....

I know Elmarit is optically amazing but the different between 2.8 and 2 is full stop and thats something it would really be handy at times...... some reviewers really appreciate the transition in Bokeh that Cron makes in the picture something will not be able to achieve with 2.8 but again the Lux would shine in this topic at 430g of wight!!!!

really hard choice here 

Here ist important to me to have all lenses with the same filter diameters (except 75mm f/2) and low weight.

Ditto. Over time I have sold or part exchanged all my lenses with (for me) awkward filter sizes. I now have a five lens 21/28/35/50/90 setup where all share a common 46mm filter size. I shoot a lot of B&W film, and this makes life much easier. With digital it also helps with ND and polarising filters.

FWIW, I currently use the 35mm as a stand-in for a 28mm Summilux for when I need the extra speed. In an ideal world I would rather use a 28mm f1.4 with the form-factor, finder blockage and ergonomics of the 28mm Summicron. Unfortunately Physics does not want to cooperate!

Thanx everybody for your input

the Lux is heavy beast and I can't deny that I love everything about this lens but I keep reminding myself why did I switch from DSLR to Rangefinder and that because of wight and portability, I can carry 28 cron and 15 Voigtländer and both of them will be same wight of Lux alone!

the other concern is that Lux is meant to be used wide open its the best at 1.4 but not the best at f2 and above, as one mentioned here in this topic that Summicron lenses are optically perfect and looking at the MTF from Leica for both Cron and Lux its look like the Cron is nothing but perfect specially in distortion and corners sharpness.

so now I am having bad time deciding between the two....

I know Elmarit is optically amazing but the different between 2.8 and 2 is full stop and thats something it would really be handy at times...... some reviewers really appreciate the transition in Bokeh that Cron makes in the picture something will not be able to achieve with 2.8 but again the Lux would shine in this topic at 430g of wight!!!!

really hard choice here

I always thought lux w a wide angle was not practical. Thought that the bokeh at 28 would not be significant, ie. It wouldnt have much bokeh.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here you go. M10 + 28 Lux with the standard hood. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Keith_W
  • Like 2

Here's one shot wide open to tempt you. M10 + 28 Lux. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I tested the Lux against the v2 Cron. Even at f/5.6, the Lux did not reach the corner performance of the Cron at f/2.8. In fact, even stopped down to f/8, the corner performance of the Lux was lacking. Vignetting wide open was significant, as was CA (the latter easily corrected in LR). In terms of resolution, I would say the Lux was "brittle" whilst the Cron was smooth and most certainly of lower contrast. Where the Lux excels is that it lacks the mid-zone dip at distances beyond 10-15 ft which the Cron v2 demonstrates (2 copies evaluated). This means all the DOF is behind the intended plane of focus and does not recover until ca. f/8. This is a MAJOR fault of the v2 Cron that Leica should be fixing IMHO. So if corner performance is not paramount for your application and you are fine with the added weight, the Lux seems like a winner.

Where the Lux excels is that it lacks the mid-zone dip at distances beyond 10-15 ft which the Cron v2 demonstrates (2 copies evaluated). This means all the DOF is behind the intended plane of focus and does not recover until ca. f/8. 

Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad?

Unfortunately yes, at least on the two copies I examined. One must learn to compensate in the field by focussing in front of the intended plane of focus in order to have the desired plane sharp. A vey real nuisance for a lens costing over $4K.

Unfortunately yes, at least on the two copies I examined. One must learn to compensate in the field by focussing in front of the intended plane of focus in order to have the desired plane sharp. A vey real nuisance for a lens costing over $4K.

Something like this made the 28 cron totally unusable for me. Blurry subjects and sharp backgrounds at anything between f/2.8 and f/8.. I couldn’t believe it, but found the same with a second copy, both new lenses. It is odd that so many praise this lens, and some of us find it so crippled. Makes you wonder if there are two different batches out there. Edited by gotium
  • Like 1

Something like this made the 28 cron totally unusable for me. Blurry subjects and sharp backgrounds at anything between f/2.8 and f/8.. I couldn’t believe it, but found the same with a second copy, both new lenses. It is odd that so many praise this lens, and some of us find it so crippled. Makes you wonder if there are two different batches out there.

My experience exactly and unacceptable for a lens at this price point. I thought it was just my copy (manufactured April 2017) so tested a friends produced from a different batch (January 2018) and found the identical result. I'm not convinced its a QC issue, but rather a design flaw.

My copy of the 28mm Cron V2 works flawlessly.

Definitely no such things as mid-zone dip or blurry subjects and sharp backgrounds when stopped down.

Agreed. I have had no such issues. Maybe there is some human error going on? 

Agreed. I have had no such issues. Maybe there is some human error going on? 

Unlikely. This behaviour is not exhibited with my 21 SEM, 35 Lux FLE, 50 Lux Asph or 90 APO. All focus spot-on with the M10 and DOF is partitioned properly as a function of distance and f/stop. It is most certainly the Cron v2.

That’s what I was waiting to hear..

I had the Q for some time before buying M10, last week I tried the new 28mm cron for a week which cheaper than Lux and I can tell you this Q and Cron is totally different league, The 28mm Cron so much better than Q in every aspect and you don't need time to figure that out from the moment you see the picture of Cron you realize why it cost as much as brand new Q.

now thats said I am sure the Lux is even better, from my experience with lenses is that you get what you pay for specially with Leica.