So, who's buying the 16-35mm?

jplomley

I’m keen to buy. Waiting for price list to be released followed by availablity. Homely Leica will offer the availability of 16-35mm like the 75corn in Singapore. Available for purchase as well as trial at the same time.

I would like to use it for landscape and environmental potraits when the SFC1 and SF60 be hopefully available at the same time as 16-35mm.

I was torn between the Canon 11-24mm and new Leica 16-35mm, I realized I didn't need anything wider than 16mm except on rare occasions plus the Leica lens 

will  be a ground breaking optic if it's like the other zooms.   I'm on several waiting lists but now I find the need to be almost non-existent.  My 18mm lens provides all the

quality I need on both the M and the SL.  When I need wider I find stitching two images to provide more flexibility and resolution than a single shot.  It's not a current priority, 

I'll wait to see what the reports are and test it at the Leica Store.   This wait and see could backfire, I have a sneaking suspicion this lens will be extremely popular

with long waiting lists.  To the early adopters, please post your findings, I hope this is as superb as the rumors and developers are stating.  

It is a wide angle lens, depth of field will be more depth than higher focal length lenses. Unless intended to use the lens for action / movement shots, stabalization will not contribute much effect. Rather user must remember to turn off whenever a tripod is employed for landscape shots and a fast lens would not be much use except increasing the weight, size and price of lens.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm early on the list at my dealer.  I'm expecting to see qualities like the 21 SEM but with the flexibility of a zoom.  It isn't stabilized, but that's OK.  And I don't look for shallow depth of field with these focal lengths, but rather try to have everything in focus.

Well, everyone to his taste and needs :)! I'd clearly prefer e.g. a 14- 24mm, f2.8 - 4.0.

These 3 Varios - 14-24 / 24-90 / 90-280, all with 2.8-4.0 and OIS - would have been an excellent match, coherent and versatile, without any overlapping...

Edited by panoreserve

A 14-24 2.8 to 4.0 would have been amazing, but probably larger too

I think this will mean that those who want the 16-35 and have fast WA primes will hold on to them too

And also that with the new WA zoom, plus the new Cron teles, the 16-35 + 75 or 90 could be a valid alternative to the 24-90

Well, everyone to his taste and needs :)! I'd clearly prefer e.g. a 14- 24mm, f2.8 - 4.0.

These 3 Varios - 14-24 / 24-90 / 90-280, all with 2.8-4.0 and OIS - would have been an excellent match, coherent and versatile, without any overlapping...

I see your point. On the other side, I think that 16-35 + 75Cron (all SL) is an interesting alternative/additio to the 24-90. I have the 75Cron on order, and I may go for the 16-35. If so, there will not be any M-lenses left in the cabinet...

• Like 1

A 14-24 2.8 to 4.0 would have been amazing, but probably larger too

I think this will mean that those who want the 16-35 and have fast WA primes will hold on to them too

I have the R's 15 mm Super Elmarit (a f/2.8 Schneider lens, I understand) and it is enormous on the SL (but fun).  Other than that there are M lenses with apertures like 3.4 or 3.8, not really faster than the coming zoom, and the Voightlander 10, 12, and 15 M lenses, which are also not faster, and are really only sharp in the center of the field.  I think the CL's 11-23 and the SL's 16-35 are in fact the class acts in this category.

• Like 1

My AF-S Nikkor 16-35 f/4 is my most used lens on my Nikon bodies, whereas I never use the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 which is much bigger and heavier. So while I can understand some of the other users' views about overlap, if the size is right, I would certainly be tempted to buy the SL 16-35mm.