Sensor Cleaning

scroy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How often do folks typically need to wet clean their SL sensors?

Lately my SL is picking up quite a bit of dust, and I seem to need to clean about once every 8 weeks or so, and I am not in a particularly dusty environment when I change lenses.

How often do you switch the camera off? SL has a built-in anti-dust feature, which is activated every time you turn the camera on. If you still see something in there, just flip the switch a few times. However, sometimes a stubborn speck just does not come out. In that case, read on.

The best way to clean any sensor is electrostatic. Use the tool called Arctic Butterfly. It is fast, clean, simple and super effective.

If your camera "is picking up quite a bit of dust", you must be doing something wrong like leaving the body without a lens, or a body cap, or changing lenses with the camera bayonet facing up.

• Like 2

The first thing to do when dust is found on the sensor is to attempt to blow it off with a hand bulb blower. Remove the lens, hold the camera at an angle so that the sensor is facing downward, and then blow forcefully with the blower. If that does not work, try the Arctic Butterfly of a gel stick. When all else fails, a wet cleaning is in order. I have done this on both Sony and Leica cameras with perfect success every time.

• Like 1