Ugly lens flare!

At smaller apertures the amount of light from an intense point source reflecting from the sensor is going to be relatively greater than at wider apertures compared to the other light illuminating the sensor and creating the image. Which may be why its more evident.

• Like 1

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder...I actually like the flare...if you look at them in terms of visually emotional, flares have lots of character.

I will believe the flairs have character if the pattern forms a smiley face time to time. :D

• Like 1

So this is a CL issue rather than a lens problem...

A bit of both I'd say. I've seen this before but until I find the file to check I can't remember which camera it was off (not a CL!). I'd describe it as a 'characteristic' rather than issue. After all, most lenses will flare in certain circumstances, sometimes exacerbated by the camera and/or filters, and whether the resultant flare is aesthetically pleasing, just acceptable or downright ugly is down to personal preferences. I had a Zeiss zoom which produced small, hard, white flare spots (on film) which I detested but others didn't seem to mind. Each to their own. This CL/lens flare could be quite effective given an appropriate subject .....

I've chosen a lens that does little to no flare at all so it's essentially a camera issue in my case, or a camera + lens issue when the lens adds its own flare to that of the sensor. Now the CL is not the only camera having this sensor reflection problem. See the link below about the Sony A7r3.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1549646 

Edited by lct

So this is a CL issue rather than a lens problem... That is a shame and doesnt seem like a software fix either. I have a CL, slightly annoying I suppose, but I rarely shoot into the sun like that... normally a diffused sun or reflections etc

Actually more of an APS-C (read short lens-sensor distance) issue. However, I am sure it can be provoked on FF cameras as well.

• Like 2

explained nicely here

https://photographylife.com/red-dot-flare-issue

>>>""So what causes the red dot flare issue? Basically, this has largely to do with the reflective nature of the sensor surface. As light rays enter the lens, they get squeezed into a very small aperture. At this point, each internal reflection in the form of flare is already part of the image. The light rays reach the sensor and immediately bounce back to the rear element of the lens. In essence, each pixel on the sensor that gets hit with the bright source of light reflects some of the light back to the rear element – that’s what creates the grid pattern. The reason why we see the red dots so large, is because of the flange distance. The small pixels from the sensor become larger when they first reach the rear lens element, then when the light reflects back from the rear element to the sensor, they are even bigger in size!

The reason why the effect is amplified on small mirrorless cameras has to do with the shorter flange distance. All of that back and forth reflection madness is happening because the intensity of reflections is higher at such short distances. If the flange distance is doubled like on DSLRs, those pixel reflections get too big to cause much trouble. This does not, however, mean that DSLRs are immune to this particular issue. If the lens is stopped down enough, DSLRs can produce different patterns too.""

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

Actually more of an APS-C (read short lens-sensor distance) issue. However, I am sure it can be provoked on FF cameras as well.

Yes ...... it is present on the SL if you try hard enough ...... although it is less pronounced than on the CL when it does occur. 

• Like 2

FF or APS-C has nothing to do with a "short lens-sensor" distance. The register of the SL FF camera is identical to the register of the CL, and they can both use the same native lenses. 

Yes, that is correct, badly said on my side.  However, the same flare can probably be provoked on the SL, using the same lens. The flare is influenced by the  distance between the rear lens element and the sensor, and the shape of the rear lens element.  The register distance is not relevant. For instance, the 55-135 has double the distance between rear element and sensor, and thus less flare, but the same register distance.

I don't know how much the clearance of the full-frame L lenses is; it may be that the the larger image circle dictates a longer distance.

Yes, that is correct, badly said on my side.  However, the same flare can probably be provoked on the SL, using the same lens. The flare is influenced by the  distance between the rear lens element and the sensor, and the shape of the rear lens element.  The register distance is not relevant. For instance, the 55-135 has double the distance between rear element and sensor, and thus less flare, but the same register distance.

I don't know how much the clearance of the full-frame L lenses is; it may be that the the larger image circle dictates a longer distance.

No longer have them, but if I recall correctly the SL24-90 rear element is right at the lens mount flange and the SL90-280 rear element is a bit recessed, but not by much. I never once saw this flare with my SL and the SL lenses at all ... even when I was shooting a sunset or going for a diffraction spike on a point light source.

I'll let you know if I see it with the CL body using any of the lenses I fit to it. I have little interest in any of the TL lenses, just don't need them since I have plenty of lenses to choose from already. :)

• Like 1