Ugly lens flare!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, lens hood was on, but i've seen this anomaly in the "image thread, #1097" that another photographer had posted using the 11- 23mm. I'd be curious if the 35mm t 1.4 did the same thing. This is by far the ugliest lens flare of any lens i've used. Perhaps the German lenses are better? Great lens, just don't point it at the sun unless you like this ugly effect. 

With a link, for direct access to the mentioned photo...

Edited by helged
  • Like 2

Ugly lens flare with no filter. It's the weird symmetrical pattern around the flare that really is ugly.

Since it is so symmetrical, my guess is that it is coming from sensor.

Do the following test. Take more than one picture by slightly moving the camera between shots. If the "ghost dots" are in the same place relative to Sun then it is coming from the sensor. If the dots move around (distance, stretch, direction etc. etc.) then it is from the lens.

• Like 2

If someone who owns the 35mm 1.4 TL lens could shoot into the sun to look for this phenomena. I'd be curious if it's in the lens manufacture or components of the Japanese made TL lenses. The symmetrical patterns imo, don't suggest a sensor array. Perhaps, I could rent the 35mm 1.4 because I'm certainly not buying anymore TL lenses if they all flare like this.

Never seen an optical flare like that with any lens or body so far and my CL doesn't seem to produce those ghost images with M lenses either so TL lenses and/or the way the firmware tortures err improves them could well be the culprits. I may be completely wrong though but i would warn Leica about that if i were a TL user.

Never seen an optical flare like that with any lens or body so far and my CL doesn't seem to produce those ghost images with M lenses either so TL lenses and/or the way the firmware tortures err improves them could well be the culprits. I may be completely wrong though but i would warn Leica about that if i were a TL user.

Agreed, thanks for the input! I've yet to complain to Leica about their digital products. What would be the most effective way of contacting them?

• 2 months later...

Interesting link  According to the author the whole issue has nothing to do with camera, lens or brand, but with the flange distance. Which should mean that M, or, even better, R lenses show the issue to a lesser extent.

• Like 1

Probably both sensor flare + lens flare here. Kolari Vision tries to reduce sensor flare with its "hot spot" filters if i'm not mistaken. 

A hot spot is something quite different. In IR photography some lenses will exhibit extreme vignetting. That has to do with the lens design not being adapted to IR light.

Obviously Kolari will address the issue for their IR conversions.