Buying a Pre-Owned Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Friends,

I have just signed up, however I've been reading the forum for some time and finally came to a decision of buying the Q (I believe it will be a perfect addition to my Canon DSLR gear and DJI Phantom Drone).

I was thinking about buying a new one, but now got an offer for a second hand from Leica Dealer. The only problem is that both age and shutter count are unknown. The camera must be older than 2 years as the Leica Warranty is expired. The price is 2900 euro. Do you think it is a fair price? All the tips welcome! 

Thank you for your time! 

Cheers,

Adrian

Guest jvansmit

I'd be very wary about buying a Q if the warranty is expired. I had to have the complete lens assembly on mine replaced, and the quoted cost was EUR 1,295....and now it's playing up again.

A new grey market Q  with international warranty is around  EUR3,600.

Edited by jvansmit

I bought my Q from Popflash Photo for $4118. It is a lovely silver one, which typically costs more than the black sibling. While "used," it was likely a demo because it came perfect with just a few actuations and with an official Leica warranty. They have another on their site. At today's rate, looking like about 3375 Euros for what is essentially a new camera.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for your tips! I have spoken to the shop and they are willing to give 30 day bring in / warranty. I was considering buying from US, but didn’t want to buy a pre-owned that I can’t see on my own before paying for...

@Deliberate 1 - how did you know how many actuations it had?

Thank you very much for your tips! I have spoken to the shop and they are willing to give 30 day bring in / warranty. I was considering buying from US, but didn’t want to buy a pre-owned that I can’t see on my own before paying for...

I’d still recommend paying the extra for a new Q.

30 days is too short for my sense of comfort. YMMV.

Edited by ramosa

Sorry for my late reply. As I recall, the one I bought from Popflash had around 100 shots. That would be consistent with the appearance as well, which was flawless and indistinguishable from new.I could not confirm it but did not sweat it once I saw that it was perfect. Frankly, having a few miles on it meant it came to me in good working order. The one at Popflash I directed you to reportedly has less than 25 shots. I believe these "certified" devices are demo or perhaps were samples at shows. Pampered lives. I have two other leica boxes - an M9 and S 006. I bought both as "certified." Again, each appeared as new and with full warranty. In fact the S came with three year coverage. No issues with it. The M9 required some new electronics and sensor all of which were covered. I would have no hesitation buying a certified camera given my experience. Basically you are getting a new camera for several hundred less than "new." All with that important warranty.The few actuations it may come with are equal to the number of images you will throw away after your first outing with this lovely device.

Best of luck.

David

Edited by Deliberate1