ccd exchange?

sabPHOTO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi
I'm new to this forum, after buying a second hand Leica M8 and a second hand cron 50.
I love the gear, but can you tell me if the ccd is too old or something else is wrong. Can it be fixed?
If you magnify the attached pic You can see in the dark parts have lots of white spots.
Best
sabPHOTO

It is highly unlikely that the CCD is too old. Nor does the M8 suffer from corrosion. Do post a shot of the problem you are seeing, and attach ISO setting and aperture.

AFAIK the sensor may well be available still, but I doubt whether a replacement would be economically realistic. The cost of the sensor alone will be higher than the value of the camera and then there would be considerable labour costs.

• Like 1

Welcome SABPHOTO. It is highly likely that there is dust on your sensor. A lot has been written about cleaning sensors. Search this forum for further insight and then discuss any related problems with members here. Enjoy your new equipment.

• Like 1

Hi again
Thank's for replying.
I will search the forum and read about cleaning sensors.
I upload a shot, and I'm very happy if You can take a look. Iso 160 and f 2.0. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I see specular reflections from shooting light fittings - a challenging subject. To see dust on the sensor, shoot a cloudy sky, out of focus at a small lens aperture and examine the file at 100%. You should see any dust particles if they exist.

• Like 1

I can see dots in vertical lines leading down from the green light in the middle.  My guess is that these are attenuated reflections of the lights (flare).  Sharpening them might have increased their contrast in the jpeg and made them more visible.  Was your lens wearing a filter when you took the shot by any chance?  I remove filters when shooting low ambient light shots that include light sources to try to restrict flare.  The coatings on the elements inside the lens do a good job of preventing flare but it's rare to find a filter that performs the same way in my experience.

Pete.

• Like 1

I can see dots in vertical lines leading down from the green light in the middle. 

Pete.

Pete

If you open the shot as posted and push the sliders you will see, and partially visible as posted, a second line to the right of descending dots. these look like a loop chain to control the light/fan and are not a result of flare/reflections. The fan blades become discernible when pushed BTW, hardly seen as posted.

If you really push the sliders the noise pattern becomes very visible over the image and could be mistaken for "the dark parts have a lot of white spots" as posted the dark is quite clean.

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1

Pete

If you open the shot as posted and push the sliders you will see, and partially visible as posted, a second line to the right of descending dots. these look like a loop chain to control the light/fan and are not a result of flare/reflections. The fan blades become discernible when pushed BTW, hardly seen as posted.

If you really push the sliders the noise pattern becomes very visible over the image and could be mistaken for "the dark parts have a lot of white spots" as posted the dark is quite clean.

Thanks, Chris, I've only viewed the picture on screen and wondered whether there might be a pull-chain somewhere.

Pete.

• Like 2