Leica Q - thinking of buying, have some questions.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all.

I hope you don't mind the questions. I'm an M9 owner thinking of getting a Q for days out with the family etc. My eyesight is getting worse and so I use the M9 for static subjects. I have some questions.

I can get a barely used 2017 Q for £3k, or a new one for £3.5k. I'd prefer to save the £500, but I can spend it if needs be. How reliable are these cameras? Anyone had any issues?

How much shutter lag is there? I have a Fuji X100T filling my EVF needs right now, and even when 100% manual it lags. The leaves open, close, open, close then the shot is taken. It's annoying as hell. If you part hold the shutter it will fire instantly, as you've got the "lag" out of the way early. Not always possible. How's the Q for this? Again, manual exposure.

What's the battery life like in real life use? I never use the LCD, I never chimp. I shoot manual or if I'm being lazy aperture priority.

How do you M shooters feel when using it? Does it have that Leica feel? I have to buy unseen due to work commitments before the holiday, so... yeah, how do you like it?

Thanks all.

My experience: the Q is superb!  Excellent image quality and colors. Very fast AF (if you want it); excellent performance in low light. Any shutter lag is to an absolute minimum.  Battery life is excellent.  

I'm not a M user so my perspective is not from a comparative perspective.

I always tend to purchase pre-owned (assuming I am satisfied as to the condition from the seller) with the idea that camera bodies have limited life expectancies until the next 'latest-greatest' comes around.  The Q is however a keeper for me, as it is an ideal camera to take out on family events and for travel.

Rob 

Edited by ropo54

I owned the original X100 and the X100T. I greatly enjoyed both cameras, but there’s no comparison in image quality and shutter lag with the Q. Much, much improved to the point that I never even think about it. You’ll like the Q much better.

I agree with everything said - reliability for me has been perfect, and I use the camera as a pro photojournalist's tool just like all my other gear.  As a longtime M user (analog and digital), this camera is a Leica, through and through, though slightly different to the hand, it's not a big change, and I use the Q along with my M9s on many assignments together. And the 28lux is everything a Leica Summilux should be.

Havent had mine all that long, 4 months, a bit over 2000 shots, so I can't comment on long term reliability other than to say that so far mine has been perfect, shooting outdoors in the New England winter and all that it entails. I've been rather impressed with battery life, far better than the M10 running EVF.  I'm seeing a bit better life than Infiniumguy. Running EVF only, genuine Leica battery, I'd estimate upwards to 400 shots. This weekend I took precisely 150 shots, several dozen in this instance on a tripod with LV enabled, with ND filters doing exposures upwards to 30 sec., somewhat worse case use, short of enabling WiFi as well.  Just turned on the camera a few seconds ago and it was showing two out of three bars.  

I owned an X100T a while back. To my mind, theres no comparison really at any level.  Its been a while, but from what I remember, from a speed standpoint, the Q is far superior. Certainly the AF is snappier, far less hunting. I suspect startup time is superior as well. And above all theres is fairly wide gulf in the quality of the optics. I can't speak to shooting in M, I typically shoot AP and have my rear wheel set up to EV comp rather than fiddling with the dial, but in trying it just now, I certainly didnt notice any serious lag.  

When I first held a Q, coming from a pair of Ms, I had the impression that is wasn't quite as sturdy. Over time, shooting with the 10 and Q side by side, I've realized that its really more about heft, the Q being delightfully lighter, but in the end just about as solid.  Obviously, only you can decide if the extra coin is worth new over used. I elected to go new for the peace of mind, but now as owner, given my impression of the build quality, I would, in retrospect, have considered it more seriously.  My understanding is that  some early cameras did have some sealing issues apparently, so if you do go used, I'd make sure  to shoot some test shots at f16 to check for any internal dust before purchase. Otherwise, I suspect, assuming you take to 28 over 35mm, you'll be quite please with the upgrade from the Fuji. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What Tailwagger said about battery usage. When I first was learning the camera, I set the LCD back and the EVF for maximum display, and burned through the battery. As I gradually understood the Q, I commensurately reduced time and faded the LCD. Now, I don't even think about battery life.  

Thank you everyone. The one I was looking at (a 2017 model) has been sold. I've found a mint 2015 model with all paperwork etc intact. I can't find a new one for less than £5k (all the £3.5k new are out of stock). Not sure if I should take the plunge on a 2015 or hold out for a 2017.

Thank you everyone. The one I was looking at (a 2017 model) has been sold. I've found a mint 2015 model with all paperwork etc intact. I can't find a new one for less than £5k (all the £3.5k new are out of stock). Not sure if I should take the plunge on a 2015 or hold out for a 2017.

Take a cheap flight to NY, buy one for 4250, and still have some change left over. :-)

• Like 1

I bought my Q from Popflash Photo for $4118. It is a lovely silver one, which typically costs more than the black sibling. While "used," it was likely a demo because it came perfect with just a few actuations and with an official Leica warranty. They have another on their site now. At today's rate, looking like about 2940 sterling for what is essentially a new camera.

I am an M9 and S 006 owner. I bought the Q for a recent trip to Thailand. Took the S with the 70mm and a Contax 120mm which saw no use. But in dark and fast moving circumstances, or when I did not want to attract the attention the S garners, I took out the Q. It is brilliant for what it does. The S/70 and Q/28 is a perfect walk around kit.

Cheers.

Can't comment on long term as I've had mine only a month.  Otherwise, the IQ is great and the feel of the camera is definitely reminiscent of my M6 / 35mm 1.4.  It's a blast right out of the box.  Battery life is OK - I feel like I get a lot more shots out of my 5D, but much larger battery.  I try to always carry a spare - the Panasonic version of the battery is 50% cheaper and identical.

Responsiveness is excellent - I've never even thought about it.  Autofocus works very well (my vision is toast) - I shot a hundred or so at a concert where I could not get a clear view, holding the camera up above the crowd - I may have had one or two OOF of the bunch.  The great thing is they let me in with it, whereas the typically "no DSLR" policies at many venues would have shut out my 5D and limited me to iPhone only - ugh!  For those shots I used shutter priority 1/60 and 1/125 and let it go auto ISO.  Even the 50mm cropped jpegs looked good, so I was able to post a few with my iPhone over wifi during the show.  :) 

At any rate, it's a great camera that can deliver in a wide variety of situations - and that lens is superb - really does live up to the name.

• Like 1

Can't comment on long term as I've had mine only a month. Otherwise, the IQ is great and the feel of the camera is definitely reminiscent of my M6 / 35mm 1.4. It's a blast right out of the box. Battery life is OK - I feel like I get a lot more shots out of my 5D, but much larger battery. I try to always carry a spare - the Panasonic version of the battery is 50% cheaper and identical.

Responsiveness is excellent - I've never even thought about it. Autofocus works very well (my vision is toast) - I shot a hundred or so at a concert where I could not get a clear view, holding the camera up above the crowd - I may have had one or two OOF of the bunch. The great thing is they let me in with it, whereas the typically "no DSLR" policies at many venues would have shut out my 5D and limited me to iPhone only - ugh! For those shots I used shutter priority 1/60 and 1/125 and let it go auto ISO. Even the 50mm cropped jpegs looked good, so I was able to post a few with my iPhone over wifi during the show. :)

At any rate, it's a great camera that can deliver in a wide variety of situations - and that lens is superb - really does live up to the name.

I use my Q very much, mostly with the M10 together. Everything said is true - wonderfull camera. The only thing us: try a CL in comparison - different, but depending on your usage also a good addition to your M9. I use my with the small 18mm and different M-lenses.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have you tried Ffordes? I got my new Q there. Their web site shows a new chrome for £3770 and a black Mint- for £2849. There is also an EXC++ with spare battery and Thumbs Up for the same price. I have bought and sold with Ffordes and found their EXC++ was often indistinguishable from Mint-

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Digital_Cameras/Compacts_/Leica/Q_Series

Have you tried Ffordes? I got my new Q there. Their web site shows a new chrome for £3770 and a black Mint- for £2849. There is also an EXC++ with spare battery and Thumbs Up for the same price. I have bought and sold with Ffordes and found their EXC++ was often indistinguishable from Mint-

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Digital_Cameras/Compacts_/Leica/Q_Series

Damn. I always forget them but yes, they are excellent. Never mind.

My Q is specifically for family outings and it’s been magnificent. I know it’s orobably overkill but hey we’re in this hobby for good reason. Such ease of use just handing it off to someone to take a quick snap of the family or being able to capture my twin toddlers with the quick AF. All that and more and still give me the IQ that we appreciate. I bought a demo unit with 80 clicks. Been superb. Enjoy.

My Q is specifically for family outings and it’s been magnificent. I know it’s orobably overkill but hey we’re in this hobby for good reason. Such ease of use just handing it off to someone to take a quick snap of the family or being able to capture my twin toddlers with the quick AF. All that and more and still give me the IQ that we appreciate. I bought a demo unit with 80 clicks. Been superb. Enjoy.

how did you know how many clicks it had?