Leica Null Series Dumb Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I bought the camera without the instruction manual! So....Dumb Question; when the last exposure has been taken, and the shutter not advanced, the lever set to R, the shutter button depressed, and the film is being rewound into the cassette.............Does the lens need to be capped???

You are the happy new owner of that 2.4 M€ Leica "Zero" n° 122 ? http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=3&L=1

Just kidding.

If you mean Leica "0" Replica ...

Yes cap must be put on the lens when rewind.

The not self-capping shutter need that the "0" must be capped all time and uncap only when snapping a frame :p.

Funny little camera to "time travelling" with and nice photos can be done with this jewel.

FYI...

If you don't mind .pdf manual, see below.

A link to user manual, in this RFF thread post #2 : https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147805

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Yes, I bought the camera without the instruction manual! So....Dumb Question; when the last exposure has been taken, and the shutter not advanced, the lever set to R, the shutter button depressed, and the film is being rewound into the cassette.............Does the lens need to be capped???

Yes. If in doubt always put the lens plug in.

For what it is worth, I think Leica made an error in being faithful to the extent of using a non-self-capping single blind shutter on the 0 series replica. If they were prepared to be really anachronistic by coating the Anastigmat, a process that was not developed until many years later, why not the shutter. Self capping blind shutters were well known in 1923/24 and Leica themselves used the double blind shutters in the 1A of just one year later in 1925. Putting in a double blind shutter would have changed the null series replica in my view, from a rather silly if pretty toy, into a readily usable pocket sized camera. I would guess I would waste at least 4 or 5 frames every roll of film in the Null by getting the sequence wrong. I don't use it enough to build up a muscle memory of the required actions. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Yes. If in doubt always put the lens plug in.

For what it is worth, I think Leica made an error in being faithful to the extent of using a non-self-capping single blind shutter on the 0 series replica. If they were prepared to be really anachronistic by coating the Anastigmat, a process that was not developed until many years later, why not the shutter. Self capping blind shutters were well known in 1923/24 and Leica themselves used the double blind shutters in the 1A of just one year later in 1925. Putting in a double blind shutter would have changed the null series replica in my view, from a rather silly if pretty toy, into a readily usable pocket sized camera. I would guess I would waste at least 4 or 5 frames every roll of film in the Null by getting the sequence wrong. I don't use it enough to build up a muscle memory of the required actions. 

Wilson

I am amused by this. If you want the 'real experience' of a 0 Series then follow the 'instructions' for the replica. The whole thing is a conceit anyway. If you want a self capping shutter then buy a nice I Model A and don't worry about such matters. The replicas are exactly what they are meant to be whether they are dummy or working models. With a I Model A you are getting photos out of a camera that is actually around 90 years old and there is a real sense of achievement in that.

William

• Like 3

At the same auction I bought the M3 700061.  I won't have any qualms whatsoever about using it, so I not only got a collectors item, I also got another camera to use.

At the same auction I bought the M3 700061.  I won't have any qualms whatsoever about using it, so I not only got a collectors item, I also got another camera to use.

Wow, can you show us some photos of this very (very) early M3?

Lex

Wow, can you show us some photos of this very (very) early M3?

Lex

It is item No 54 in the online Westlicht catalogue. You will see plenty of photos there. I bought item No 20 myself, my 6th II Model D. I mainly bought it for the lovely example of a bell push Elmar. It may get some use, but as you will see from my title, I am a bit of a collector.

William

I am amused by this. If you want the 'real experience' of a 0 Series then follow the 'instructions' for the replica. The whole thing is a conceit anyway. If you want a self capping shutter then buy a nice I Model A and don't worry about such matters. The replicas are exactly what they are meant to be whether they are dummy or working models. With a I Model A you are getting photos out of a camera that is actually around 90 years old and there is a real sense of achievement in that.

William

William, 

I prefer my I© standard to the IA, as I can easily carry the tiny CV21/4 in my pocket with its 21mm VF and have the benefit of interchangeable lenses. I suspect my nickel 50 standard (O) Elmar needs a bit of TLC, as it is  bit softer than it should be, although it looks quite clean on shining a UV light through it. 

Wilson

William, 

I prefer my I© standard to the IA, as I can easily carry the tiny CV21/4 in my pocket with its 21mm VF and have the benefit of interchangeable lenses. I suspect my nickel 50 standard (O) Elmar needs a bit of TLC, as it is  bit softer than it should be, although it looks quite clean on shining a UV light through it. 

Wilson

Thanks Wilson. I have 7 I Model As and 2 I Model Cs. The collecting disease has well and truly taken hold, but in the case of the I Model A with Elmar there are at least 10 variants to collect. I have never used an ultra wide angle lens on the I Model Cs, but I recall seeing an article in Amateur Photographer magazine about somebody using one with a 15mm Voigtlander lens as a snapshot camera with zone focus and no viewfinder.

William

• Like 1

Thankfully I don't have any desire to collect Leica cameras or anything else for that matter. The world is full of enough shit as it is without acquiring stuff solely for the sake of owning it.

You should stick to that line. You are so far wide of the mark with this that I won't go to the trouble of replying in full to it, other than saying that there is a lot more to collecting than mere ownership. This section of the forum is called ' Leica Collectors & Historica'. This might give a little clue as to where the interest of collectors lies. I could ask why you are posting here, but you are perfectly entitled to do so, just as you are to your opinion.

William

Edited by willeica