First day out shooting with the Leica Series O

Ambro51

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.....After admiring, studying and fondling my new Leica Null Series first version, I took the plunge and loaded in a 36 exp roll of Rollei 25 B&W, and headed out for a local historic site, Batsto, which abounds with interesting photographic subjects. Convinced I’d done my homework enough to produce 36 perfect negatives, I failed somewhat on that task. First, the Newton Finder is Horrible. Being crafty in my shop, I made a quite decent optical finder to reside in the accessory shoe. This brings the camera properly to the eye, braced by a pull to the cheek the camera felt awesome, a true Leica in all ways. Using my old Goosen Pilot, exposures on this sunny day were a sweet 5.6 at 1/200. All went well (mostly) on the walk through this lovely setting, and I only botched the capping then advancing routine two times. Tried a few red filter shots at F 3.5 1/25, a few lower light shots at F4 1/50, and took a few portraits of folks I talked too along the way. The camera itself has a magnificent feel to it, with a zip to the shutter different from my other LTMs. Issues: fiddling with the little lens cap caused me to alter the needed focus a few times. Adding a lens shade obstructed the finder view a bit, the lovely case supplied with the Series O has a hold down leather snap tab, but no screw on the base. Of course,this strap rides exactly over the accessory shoe. So instead I used a very vintage Leica case I have with a beautiful patina of age, and a base screw. •••••• So at this point as the counter turned to 36, I decided rather than commit the sin of forcing anything, I began the rewind. The shutter button depressed, I wound and wound the rewind knob. Now, another quirk of the Series O reared it’s ugly head, when I seen the little cap hanging on its string!!! And, as so you must advance capped, so must you rewind capped. A mistake fatal to at least 60% of the carefully shot roll! Damn! But, since this IS a trial roll, the experience is chalked up and registered. At least 40% of the images should be just fine!••••••Now, I reawaken my long dormant film developing skills. Having resurrected my ancient Federal enlarger and a shopping spree on eBay for chemicals and paper, part Two of the adventure will take place later this week. I will post images here after that. ••••• All in all, totaling the experience so far, I Really Like The Series 0!

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 5

Ahhhh now, understand I never had a manual for this camera and cannot seem to relocate the copy I once seen on the web.....but now I’m thinking perhaps the cap need Not be in place during the rewingmd, since the shutter is not engaged. Can anyone confirm this?

I have a 'manual'.  

It does not state that you need to cover the lens during rewinding, but it does say in the Loading the film section, "Attention: Lens cap should always be on except when taking photographs!".  My understanding of the need to cover the lens when winding on is that the way the shutter blinds move, as you wind on it causes a gap thus letting in light.  Once cocked or after firing the blinds are closed.  As it's a bit of a fiddle to change film I aways do it at home anyway, and then I've got the cap on, so I can't really say if winding back without the cap would be a problem, but as the shutter is closed I can't see that it would be.  Also as I'm frightened of losing or breaking the leather cap, I always take it off the lens and tuck it and it's string inside the case.  When winding on I press the lens against my body or sleeve to cover the lens and have never had a problem with light leaks.

The manual is a strip of paper which is printed on both sides and folded into A6 or less size and I scanned mine to save keep unfolding it.  I would be happy to post a copy here if there is no objection from the Mods.

Hope that's helplful

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally made some prints, quite impressed!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2