M240 w. Zeiss Halogen 16/8 first results

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just go easy with the Cornerfix or Flat field plugin corrections as strongly underexposed corners will show noise . 

I had a 16 Hologon M converted for a while, used it with the MM ccd.

The Hologon lens quality is superb as you shots attest .

Should fare well on the M8 and on film , let us know !

Thanks for the encouragement. I enjoy trying things out, and in the same spirit, I bought this lens. Even my wife encouraged me to buy this specific lens since it was "like new". I will today try it out with the M8. Some of the purple in the edges should then be gone. Also, the M8 has great B&W rendering anyways, so it may also do better for B&W. One day, I will use the lens with film on my Standard Leica for simplicity and functionality too. 

Link for images with the M8:

This morning we had overcast weather (but now we have brilliant sunshine!), and I went downtown for a cappuccino and bagel, but I had with me the M8 and the Hologon 16/8, There is a crop, as we all know, so maybe the purple bands are cropped off, but I was  also curious to see if the older sensor was less brutal on the old lens. It may be a confounded effect. I will know better once I get back my M9 so that I can use FF with the Hologon.

The exposure times seemed quite long (by sound) even though I set ISO to 640. The AUTO setting seems to work very well with the M8, even though I read online that meters for the M8 and the M9 will not work with this lens. 

There is a Farmer's Market each Saturday in Pensacola.

Hologon-12-X2.jpg

Hologon-16-X2.jpg

Hologon-21-X2.jpg

Hologon-23-X2.jpg

Hologon-26-XL.jpg

Hologon-29-X2.jpg

Hologon-38-X2.jpg

Hologon-33-X2.jpg

Shooing with an M8 and a crop factor of 1.33?
So considering the crop factor whats that make your 16mm a 24?

You got past the purple/green edges by cropping them out?
Post some color photos with the M240.....please

FYI: I love this lens..... but its all about the wide.

Keep us up to date on what you have learned.
And thanks for doing the testing!
--

By the way ....nice pix!

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

I can always use this lens for B&W on the M9 or in color or B&W with the M3 or M6. The M8 gives a crop for about a 24mm lens for color or B&W. 

You'll still get the smeared corners, which may not be completely eliminated using the M8. On the upside, selling this M-converted lens brings you that much closer to a WATE... :D

Your M8 color looks great.

I sometimes feel Leica owner feels are too critical. In search of the perfect lens is like being in search of the perfect meal ....it doesn't exist.

You  have a cool lens and will have tons of fun with it. Enjoy and keep posting samples so I can enjoy your travels too.

Am I correct with the crop factor a 16mm  on the M8 make it a 21? 

I don't see any serious purple corners in the M8 images.

Never said you would, they seem mild if you're willing to live with it. The smearing may remain visible in the very extreme corners. Acceptable, too.

Edited by james.liam

I sometimes feel Leica owner feels are too critical. In search of the perfect lens is like being in search of the perfect meal ....it doesn't exist.

True enough. 

Kudos to Raid for having gone through the effort. Now, the 16 cannot mount a filter so I'd imagine some UV/IR contamination with the M8 in some images?

You  have a cool lens and will have tons of fun with it. Enjoy and keep posting samples so I can enjoy your travels too.

Am I correct with the crop factor a 16mm  on the M8 make it a 21? 

16 x 1.333=21.33

It is the view of a 21mm lens after all, as I thought it should be.

• Like 1

Who here has used an M9 without cornerfix with such a lens? Is the color issue same as with the M240?

I have no experience with the M9 but it could only be worse i suspect. Judging by my own gear, only FF cameras with a modern sensor and thin sensor stack (Sony A7s mod in my case) can avoid the red edge issue on symmetrical UWA lenses (CV 15/4.5 v2, CV 21/4). My M240 cannot but my crop cameras (M8.2, CL) have no red edge issue either. BTW my A7s mod does fine with the Super-Angulon 21/3.4. Would be interesting to try the Hologon on it but i have never used this lens on any camera. 

In digital cameras, the lens is very close to the sensor, and the sensor cannot handle such a lens well. There are no such issues in film cameras. Most images posted online for the Hologon were taken with film cameras or these images are in B&W. When this amazing lens was designed, there did not exist digital cameras as we have them today. It is a classic that is not meant for digital sensors.

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 1