M240 w. Zeiss Halogen 16/8 first results

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received from DAG my Zeiss Hologon 16/8 modified to M with 6 bit code. Don advised me to set the camera to automatic lens detection and let the code take over the settings. It was  a very bright day today, with strong sunlight during the period 1pm-2:30pm. I used the special ND filter 4X with the lens, setting ISO to 400. I took snapshots in downtown Pensacola, expecting some serious purple edges, and I was right.   I don't know if the M9 sensor will behave differently from the M240 sensor. I can tomorrow try out the M8 with the Hologon. The images will be cropped to 21mm or so.  I have some hopes left that the older sensor will be less affected by the purple edges. 

I hope that some people here have used this lens or they understand what is happening when a lens gets that close to the sensor, and maybe I will get some useful tips. Of course, one tip will be "sell the lens"! This is premature after taking 40 snapshots or so. I could use this lens for B&W on my M8 and M9 and in color with a film Leica. 

There is some software that treats the edges. I can look it up. Is anyone using such software with wide angle lenses on a digital camera?

I hope that I am not using this lens correctly and that there are some known steps to follow to get better results.

Holog----5-X2.jpg

Holog----37-X2.jpg

Holog--X2.jpg

Holog----14-X3.jpg

Holog----8-X3.jpg

Holog----17-X3.jpg

Holog----22-X3.jpg

Holog----18-X3.jpg

Holog----18-X3.jpg

Some will now say "I told you so"!  I may also consider using this lens with a film Leica and bypass such problems.

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 1

Try flat field correction if you use LR. You will need to take sample shots of a uniform white object (color doesn't matter as long it is uniform subject) at various apertures. LR flat field plugin uses the sample shot as a guide and corrects for color variation (as well as optionally vignetting). It is simple with minimal clicks. LR creates corrected DNG leaving the old one intact.

• Like 1

I will try these settings. Thanks.  There must exist some optimal setting!

I think if you set the camera to make correction for a Leica coded lens and use the Hologon it tries to make corrections for things that aren’t there.

I will try these settings. Thanks. There must exist some optimal setting!

Note that in-camera lens correction (if any) is only for vigneting and distortion, not for colors. This had been my understanding (happy to be corrected). This is why there is no substitute for flat field processing regardig color correction.

Note that in-camera lens correction (if any) is only for vigneting and distortion, not for colors. This had been my understanding (happy to be corrected). This is why there is no substitute for flat field processing regardig color correction.

For colour vignetting too, but not for the amount of shift that this lens produces; Only Flat Field correction works.

• Like 1

So I may need to download and use CORNERFIX. Take a photo of a white background and then use this software to adjust for the purple cast in the corners. Then this profile can be used for multiple images.

There is hope!

Just go easy with the Cornerfix or Flat field plugin corrections as strongly underexposed corners will show noise . 

I had a 16 Hologon M converted for a while, used it with the MM ccd.

The Hologon lens quality is superb as you shots attest .

Should fare well on the M8 and on film , let us know !