Sensor Size M8.2 For Correct Cleaning Kit.

smitty's

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What size cleaning/swab kit would be correct for my M8? 1.3X be correct? I have used the rocket blower and eyelead kit but has not resolved my sensor dust issues. I see this size kit (Visible Dust EZ Sensor Clean) would be special order from B&H. Any other options for this camera? Any other suggestions for cleaning the sensor?

Thanks, Steve

I think it really depends on whether you want to buy a kit with extra tools or just the bare swabs. I use swabs, antistatic brush and fluid only. You might also check that the cleaning fluids can be shipped to you and by what methods. for some countries/services at least there are restrictions/ bans due to the flammable liquid regulations.
For the M9 you just want 24mm swabs (1.0) If you bought a kit with one size you could just get the different size swabs for the other camera.
I used the "photo solutions" and Visibledust' brands for years and Eclipse fluid (Photosol). That is for sensors from APSc to now 30x45 (S cameras) For that larger size I am only aware of the Vswabs from VisibleDust available.

Its vital to ensure that you brush off any grit or particles before wet cleaning and you should clean that antistatic brush each time too or you will add contamination every time the bristles have touched something else (like the chamber/shutter blades you shouldn't touch!. I use pre-moistened lens wipes to wipe the brush (same ones I use on lenses)

If you press on the sensor cover glass of the M8 especially with a finger on a pad for example its very easy to crack that glass. Excess fluid left on the assembly is also bad for it.

Photo solutions used to have how to videos on their site which were excellent for technique and precautions.

Edited by hoppyman